What Got You Intrested...

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 3:28am by Carson

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 34

in making and decorating cakes?
How long have you been doing it?
Do you have a favorite cake you have made so far?

33 replies
myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 34

My first Ace of Cakes episode
About a year
yes, my black and pink polkadotted and striped cake

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 34

thumbs_up.gif Nice work on that pink and black cake Therese! icon_smile.gif

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 34

It started for me when I decided to make my step son's birthday cake last year. It came out really good and everyone loved it. Then I had to make my girls' cakes bc they were Thing1 and Thing2. And I realized I was good at it lol. So I started making lots and lots of cookies, cupcakes, brownies, cakes, etc and they are all really good.

I have only been doing this for about 9 months.

My favorite so far is the baby bed cake I made for my aunt's baby shower.

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 34

I've always loved to bake and figured u had to go to a professional school to learn how to do fancy techniques. I've been taking courses at Michael's and have learned all of these cool techniques.

I've been doing this for about 6 months and i haven't made alot but my favourite so far has been the one i did for a co-workers b-day. It was a block of cheese w/ a mouse on top of it.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 34

1. I wanted to recreate my wedding cake for my 1st anniversary. We lived overseas, so we obviously didn't have a top tier saved from our wedding in Texas. I decided to practice on a birthday cake for my husband, about a month before our anniversary. I bought a few Wilton supplies and followed the recipe on the box of PS for icing, and it was awful! The cake tasted fantastic, but it looked terrible. I mentioned to my MIL that I wanted to learn how to do cakes, so the next Christmas, she sent me a TON of Wilton stuff!! It took me about 8 months to pull it out and try, and my first cake was pretty rough. But I was hooked!

2. Almost 2 years (since August 2007)

3. Favorite cake... hmm. That's hard. I have so many! I made "tacos" once. That was really fun! And I did a hamburger! My favorite was probably my first brushed embroidery cake, made for Christmas.

I love making cakes! I'm just a hobbyist, but hopefully the Texas bill will get passed so I can start charging!!

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:09am
post #7 of 34

My daughter is getting married( not her first time I might add). The first time I made her wedding dress. This time around she is having it in her back yard. I decided I needed a hobbie with my husband away working up north . So I started crocheting made some really nice things, then decided to myself to make her wedding cake. now I'm hooked
will post pictures when Im done, wedding in June

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:18am
post #8 of 34

I thought about taking the Wilton classes for a really long time but never got around to it. Then I got laid off last year, and my mom signed me up at the local supply store that she found to help get me out of my funk. And a new obsession was born!

I think my favorite cake I've done so far is the snowmen cake in my photos...it was just a lot of fun to do, though I ate most of it. Helloooo bigger pant size!! LOL

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:25am
post #9 of 34

I have been making my 2 daughters cakes for @ 4 years now, and would just order an edible image. Slowly I would widen the decorating part of the cake .. from in the pan still to out of pan, then trims etc .. My sisters best friend was getting married & were short on $ so I offered to do a small grooms cake for her. She accepted & told me do whatever I wanted to do. I started looking for ideas, and once I did it, I loved it. I have watched baking & decorating shows for years, but just recently had the courage to branch out to more complicated things. My favorite cake so far is the El Camino I made for my Dads b-day.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:30am
post #10 of 34

I have always been interested in the beauty of cakes but I had never pursued it until a day after I got married in june 08. I have always been in art class also and I loved it. I started watching videos online and getting recipes as well. I am pretty much self taught. But I ended up taking some wilton classes a few months later and that helped with technique and stuff like that. All the new techniques I learned after the classes are stuff I taught myself once again. Everything pretty much came naturally to me.

I think All of my cakes are my favorites for different reasons. I am just proud of everything I make even though they could definitely be better.

I just love what I do and I can't wait to take it to the next level. I know I'm progressing and getting a job as a cake decorator has helped me a lot as well.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:53am
post #11 of 34

I'd always wanted to learn how to decorate cakes, and finally took a Wilton class in 2000. I've been hooked since then, and have tried to improve my skills and learn something with every cake. Now that I've been laid off my corporate job I'm finally free to pursue it as a full time business. It's a dream come true!!

I think my favorite cake so far is this one, plus the one that is my avatar.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1288453.html

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #12 of 34

I've always loved to bake, but I wanted to make something really special for my niece who had her first baby girl (after 3 boys). I saw the wilton fondant at walmart, it had a picture of a white cake with pink bows on top, I thought it would be perfect. Needless to say after googling "fondant", because I had no idea what it was, I came across Cake Central. Since then it's been an urge to try all the new things out there, I'm lovin every baking minute of it!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:25am
post #13 of 34

I've watched the cake challenges on Food Network for a few years now and always found it interesting to watch and the final products to be works of art. I decided last year to make my DH's 40th B-Day cake since we were having a big surprise to-do for him. He's into golf so I wanted to make a golf ball cake and started googling images to get ideas. Found the CC website through one of the links and have been hooked ever since.

I've been at this for just over a year now and am loving it more and more. I am always itching to make the next cake now whereas before, I would want to take a break because it was so much work in the beginning!

My favourite cake so far is a tie between:
1 - http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1289629
and 2 - http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1320491

The first is my first real stacked cake using dowels and I loved the design and the contrast from the colour combo...the second is my favourite single tier cake and I also love the colour combo.

amy81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy81 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 34

I had a baby shower for my SIL two years ago and decided that I wanted to try to make the cake myself. I started searching for ideas on the internet and came across CC. I joined right then and have learned a lot from this site. I am taking the Wilton courses now (currently Course II) and I absolutely love it. I am hoping that I can get liscenced(sp?) soon so that I can start selling because so far I have only done cakes for family.

Probably my favorite cake that I have done was for my cousin's 13th birthday. I don't have the picture of it on here yet, I will have to find it so I can scan it. It was a sheet cake with a half basketball, half softball, and half soccer ball on top. I have really only done sheet cakes until recently and I have started doing round two-layer cakes. I can't wait until I get to do my first tiered cake. icon_smile.gif

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan

I had a baby shower for my SIL two years ago and decided that I wanted to try to make the cake myself. I started searching for ideas on the internet and came across CC. I joined right then and have learned a lot from this site. I am taking the Wilton courses now (currently Course II) and I absolutely love it. I am hoping that I can get liscenced(sp?) soon so that I can start selling because so far I have only done cakes for family.

Probably my favorite cake that I have done was for my cousin's 13th birthday. I don't have the picture of it on here yet, I will have to find it so I can scan it. It was a sheet cake with a half basketball, half softball, and half soccer ball on top. I have really only done sheet cakes until recently and I have started doing round two-layer cakes. I can't wait until I get to do my first tiered cake. icon_smile.gif

You don't have to be licensed in Ohio to sell cakes from your home. They operate under the cottage food laws so you can sell any baked goods from your home that don't need to be refrigerated. They do have some labeling requirements and you get all that information from the department of agriculture website. There are also quite a few forums in the business section regarding Ohio cottage food laws.

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #16 of 34

I've been decorating cakes for a long time, since I was a teenager. Always decorated my sister's BD cakes, but never thought that I could be a professional.

Then one day, after all these years, I was watching Ace of Cakes, and realized how much I love cake decoration and that I too could do it.

Got hooked on the show, got really exited about it, went to their web site, found CC web site, took some classes at CK, and the rest is history!

It's been only one year, but the passion has been inside me all my life. And every day I just look here for tips and ideas, and I learn new things every day.

Funny how life plays. I'm most happy when I am creating a cake. icon_smile.gif

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 34

I was up during the weee hours of the morning with my first daughter when she was a newborn and caught an episode of Ace of Cakes - thought 'hey I should do something like that for her first birthday' (maybe it was the lack of sleep or something) so I started looking for ideas and trying things.
She is now 2 1/2 but I had to take a break for about a year when I was pregnant with my second daughter (the smell of the buttercream turned my stomach into knots!) she is now 10 months and I'm just starting to get back into it - the cakes I've posted are what I've done in the last 2 months.
My favorite so far is the Elmo/Ernie but my DH still likes the Belly Cake. I'm working on my first wedding cake for my BFF - wedding is next weekend- so my hope is that turns out so well that it becomes my favorite icon_smile.gif Wish me luck!

keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:57pm
post #18 of 34

lol.. we still laugh about how i got interested in doing cakes.

about 13 years ago my youngest niece was turning 4. My mom and I were out shopping the day before the party. All of a sudden she got a panicked look on her face and realized she never ordered the cake! We ran to the store and they just couldn't do it as the party was the next day. My mom turned and looked at me and asked how I felt about making the cake - she'd buy all the supplies. At that time I thought I had no talent and couldn't even ice a cake simply, lol. I agreed and it was an interesting cake. I think it was a park theme but lots of pink (fav color for my niece). I then got a little interested and tried a small book that came with the pan. Tried some flowers, then some basketweave. Hmmmmm not bad. Then my mom bought me a Collete Peters book and I started making flowers! Pretty ones off the bat as well, lol. Yup hooked then. I did cakes here and there for a few years. I took an extended break after having to move and planning a wedding (my mom wanted me to make my own wedding cake - didn't happen). Then we had a son and his 1st bday came up. Found CC while looking for ideas and well.. to say the least I'm back doing cakes, lol.

My two favorites are my irish lace cake (Collete Peters inspiration) and my cactus garden cake.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #19 of 34

As a child Ialways loved making cookies and helping with the cakes and easter eggs. I must have asked for some cake decorating supplies for my (I'm not sure 18th to 20th bday). So it's been going on for about 10 years or so. I just started out making cakes on my own and then took the Wilton classes after I quit my job to stay home with my baby. I just love to have fun, although I plan to open a business in the next couple of years. =o)

Nestley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nestley Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #20 of 34

The funny thing is that I was laid off twice in 2008 and the second time was on my birthday Dec. 31st! I was so depressed and all I did was flip through the television channels when one day I stopped on a wedding show. It was all about weddings from beginning to end and it had a special showcase on wedding cakes. The way the sugar flowers were made was so interesting to me and I wanted to try to make them myself. I wanted to learn more so I went on You Tube and found Edna from Designmeacake.com. Her videos made it so easy to put together sugar flowers and I was hooked. I had all these roses and calla lilies but no cake to decorate. A little more digging on the internet and I found CC and pulled out a few recipes and a baker I became. I have been baking and decorating cakes since Jan 2009 and Im hooked. I have two favorite cakes that I have made so far; (1) My first cake with sugar flowers that I call the Patricia Ann and (2) a Tiffany Box Petit Four. The flavors vary but my top requested flavors are vanilla and a Hawaiian cake.

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #21 of 34

I've only been doing cakes for a couple of months. But I got hooked by trying to show someone else up! icon_twisted.gif My son is a boy scout & last year we just purchased a cake from Wally World for the cake auction @ the Blue & Gold (to my credit, no one told me what the B&G was all about, let alone that you were supposed to MAKE a cake). One of the other mothers had made this awesome treasure chest cake & I felt SO stupid. So this year I vowed to avenge my rep! icon_cool.gif So I made the laptop cake that is in my pics. Everyone thought it was the coolest cake there (& so did I icon_wink.gif ) & I was redeemed thumbs_up.gif . I was also addicted thumbsdown.gif . All of my cakes are my favs, but I think I'm still too "new" to really pick juet one. Ask me again in a year. icon_razz.gif

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #22 of 34

My kids are now in high school, and where I was a mega-volunteer during their elementary years, I found myself wondering around the house, bored. Thought it was time to go back to teaching, but teachers are being layed off, left and right here. My husbands hobby, for several years now, has been fine chocolates and fancy plated deserts/pastries. He's been using the teachers and neighbors as guinea pigs for years and he has quite the reputation. He hoped I would be interested and open up a shop. However, I quickly decided, if I tried to learn something he was already an expert at, we would end in divorce. When Ace of Cakes started showing, I would watch every episode. Decided I wanted to learn. Just been playing around for a couple of months, but I'm hooked. My husband supports me from the living room and cleans up when I'm finished.

I've only made a few cakes. My favorite cake is still an image in my imagination.

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:21pm
post #23 of 34

I started in August 2003, my best friend was having a small wedding and I wanted to do something special for her so a made a cupcake tower and it went down really well. It was only decorated with buttercream swirls and purchased hearts and tiny draggees and I was itching to learn how to do it myself, so I enrolled at on a local course for one term. I was hooked but only did it as a hobby until after my second girl was born and had to go back to work. I ended up part time at Tesco and hated it so much I had set my own business within a month of being there. Unfortunately I'm still at Tesco 9 hours a week but in this economy I have to be grateful for it. Until my youngest goes to school in two years I will continue to work part time but after that I hope to concentrate on my cakes.

Since finding CC my obsession has just ballooned, I love it so much.

Hard to say what my favourite cake is but I've just been working on flavours tonight and my white chocolate and raspberry rocks if I do say so myself icon_biggrin.gif

amy81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy81 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan

You don't have to be licensed in Ohio to sell cakes from your home. They operate under the cottage food laws so you can sell any baked goods from your home that don't need to be refrigerated. They do have some labeling requirements and you get all that information from the department of agriculture website. There are also quite a few forums in the business section regarding Ohio cottage food laws.

Thanks for the info. I just assumed that you had to be licensed to sell in any state. I will definitely check out the other forums and the Dept of Ag's website.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #25 of 34

I started baking with my grandma when I was probably about two. I got interested in decorating cakes in 2004 when I was looking for a wedding cake that tasted good and I could afford. I took classes so that I could make my own cake. I fell in love with it! I quit my job, started culinary school 2 months after the wedding, and never looked back. My favorite cake is still my own wedding cakes.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303266

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #26 of 34

I never really was a cake person but a dear old lady, my neighbour(she's late now) was always baking one thing or the other and one day I needed a recipe for cookies and she lent me one of her cookie books and gave me an old Mary Ford cake book and I was HOOKED!!Iwent through it over and over again then started buying tools, came across and bought the wilton beginner's book and before you know it, I began practicing on any available person! icon_lol.gif and it just grew from there.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #27 of 34

I took all the Wilton Courses 2 1/2 yrs ago. I had a candy business for years but wanted to switch to cakes. It's great because I can do it at my own pace. I learned so much from here...and have much more to learn!

I couldn't decide between these two cakes. The first one wasn't how I planned but they like it. It was my second Twilight cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1294397.html

This one I loved.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1263825.html

Thanks for looking!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #28 of 34

I've always wanted to decorate cakes but I wasn't confident that I would do good work because I thought that u had to know how to draw, had some formal training and be creative (which i'm not) and one day a few years ago I was watching a food network cake show and I can't remember who it was but they said they had no formal training and they could not draw...so from that day I just threw myself into baking and decorating..but the thing is i mainly did sheet and layer cakes with the character toys and things like that. But it wasn't until i was referred to this site that I found the confidence to broaden my horizons. The way people described how they made a 3d purse cake or a 3d car by using a certain pan...was just amazing to me. But if it wasn't for this site I swear i'd still be doing sheet cakes. Now I make a 3d purse at least twice a week!!!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #29 of 34

I started 29 years ago when my first son turned 2. I'm basically self-taught-with tons of books. A friend had shown me how to do the basic Wilton stuff, and I bought some tips and got started. This lasted through both sons' birthdays until they were 7 or 8, and didn't want birthday cakes anymore. I also did cakes for everyone else in my extended family. But I got tired of it.
I packed away the pans and tips, and expressed my creativity with cross stitch, fabric painting, and bumping up my teaching-mummifying chickens and Egyptian cartouches.
Then I had grandbabies!...I decided I wanted to do their cakes, just like I did for their daddies. I had seen Ace of Cakes and the Challenges and knew I could do more and better stuff than just the buttercream from years past.
My favorite cakes are probably Evan's Safari Cake-a real challenge covering those columns(not that I did a great job of that) and Annaliese's Blue Farm (even though I did a really crummy job of smoothing the BC)
This has been fun-reading all about your journeys into Cake World.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #30 of 34

[quote="poohsmomma"]IThis lasted through both sons' birthdays until they were 7 or 8, and didn't want birthday cakes anymore.

What!?! icon_confused.gif Who doesn't want cake for their birthday! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%