"cake Love" Book Recipe

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 12:14pm by bonniebakes

notjustcake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 24

HI I just checked out Cake Love at the local library and I was wondering if anybody thought these recipes were good, they sounds yummy! He seems to contradict a few other baking books, caek flour vs all purpose etc.. so wondering if he knows what he is talking about if anybody has tried his recipes?

23 replies
cylstrial Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 24

I've never even heard of it...but I'm always looking for new recipes. So if anyone else thinks they are good...I'll go check it out too!

cookiesbyms Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 24

I ordered that book last week and am just waiting for it to arrive so I can start trying out a few recipes. Hope their great have read good reviews on this book.

mcook1670 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 24

i have it, I bought it a few days ago. I'm sure the recipes work. He's built a successful business using the recipes. I think it all depends on the texture you want.

Edit Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 24

I've tried his chocolate cake, it is delicious and moist and also his pastry cream. The other recipes sound very yummie too. I haven't tried the other ones yet. Cake flour vs. all-purpose is the matter of preference, in my opinion. Both can give you good results. There are very good tips in his book.

Bluehue Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 24

Is it an American, English or Australian book please?
icon_redface.gif Haven't heard of it - icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
Actually, i think i might go google it - icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

Bluehue Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Is it an American, English or Australian book please?
icon_redface.gif Haven't heard of it - icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
Actually, i think i might go google it - icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

Alls good - i went and googled it/him... thumbs_up.gif
From the 10 reviews i read his book seems to be very well laid out - also i think that taking the time to explain about *humidity and degrees of difficulty due to alttitude* would be very helpful to many.
I am hoping to make some of those Red Velvet cupcakes soon - as you just don't see/hear of them over here. (in Australia)
And from his website they are a cake he sells - wonder if that recipe is in his book ............ hmmmm interesting.

Melonie1005 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 24

I have Warren's book and love it. I had trouble finding the correct Potato starch, but finally found it at Harvey's Fresh Market.

Bluehue Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 24

Is the Red Velvet Cake recipe in it - and have you mad eit yet Melonie1005 ?
I am intrigued by this recipe - lol

Bluehue.
icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 24

The book has very unique recipes like Mojito cake, I think is not a bad idea to own it for testing purposes, I can see I will have a hard time fidning potatoe starch icon_sad.gif

GrandmaG Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 24

You can substitute corn starch for potato starch. Otherwise look for it in your health food stores or health section of your grocery stores.

Melonie1005 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 24

Bluehue..no Red Velvet in the book, but my favorite is Mr. Banana Legs cake. Let me know if you need a recipe.

courtney1009 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 24

I got the book and really liked looking at it. I was very excited to bake some of his cakes. There are some very good ideas. However, I didn't like how the recipes actually turned out. Maybe I did something wrong, but I bake a lot so I don't think I did. I found the cakes I made from the book to be dry. You might have a different experience though. If nothing else there are some fun ideas to go off of.

pinktea Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 24

I have seen this book in all the bookstores , Barnes & Noble , Books a Million, etc. , however I did not purchase it.

Watching the episodes from his show, his recipes always looked a little dry to me.

springlakecake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 24

I have the book but I havent tried anything yet. I guess because it seems like the recipes call for a lot of unusual ingredients. I'd like to try the cherry chocolate chip cupcakes soon though.

Bluehue Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:56am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie1005

Bluehue..no Red Velvet in the book, but my favorite is Mr. Banana Legs cake. Let me know if you need a recipe.

Aweeee - thankyou Melonie - very kind of you - birthday.gif
I want to make Red Velvet Cupcakes - have seen a few recipes on this site for the actual cake but not for Cuppies.
Think i mentioned above that they are very rarely heard of over here - let alone seen anywhere.
Not that i have an order for them - i just want to see if they are vibrant red when cooked - then i will eat one and send the rest with DH to work - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Guess i will just have to pick a recipe and stand guard at the oven door whilst they cook to judge the timing - icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ..... icon_redface.gif

Thankyou again
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:22am
post #17 of 24

Bluehue, this is what I do for Red Velvet cupcakes. I also added a scratch recipe if you can't find a box mix.

Moistest Most Delicious Red Velvet Cupcakes Ever
*Courtesy of Dee1219
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks butter at room temp
5 eggs
1 cup butter milk (I used 1 teaspoon vinegar to 1 cup milk and let sit for 5 min)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon red food color

Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift 3 times.
Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until blended.
Add 1/4 cup dry ingredients and 1/4 cup of buttermilk mix until blended. Add vanilla and food coloring, mix then add remaining flour mixture and buttermilk alternating.
Fill cupcake lines 3/4 full bake for 20 min at 350.

Red Velvet Cake

*Courtesy of GrandmaG
Ingredients

1 Yellow Cake mix
4 whole eggs
1 c. of buttermilk
1/3 c. of oil
1 package of chocolate instant pudding
Red Food Coloring added to the buttermilk to make 1 cup water

I use the Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting by aztomcat on them.

These are the most requested of my cupcakes. No one guesses they are made from a box.

sweet_teeth Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:44am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney1009

I got the book and really liked looking at it. I was very excited to bake some of his cakes. There are some very good ideas. However, I didn't like how the recipes actually turned out. Maybe I did something wrong, but I bake a lot so I don't think I did. I found the cakes I made from the book to be dry. You might have a different experience though. If nothing else there are some fun ideas to go off of.

If they are anything like his cakes in his shoppe, they will be dry. I've tried a few of his thinks and haven't liked anything yet.

MOBOGAL Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:48am
post #19 of 24

I have this book and I've made both the vanilla poundcake and the chocolate poundcake and they were both out of this world. Moist, flavorful and a huge hit with the people eating them! The ingredients are a little unusual (like potato starch, which I found at Whole Foods), but not too hard to find. I've also made his vanilla pastry cream (awesome), chocolate ganache, and his sugared strawberries and all have turned out great. I haven't tried the layer cakes or his buttercream, but I'd like to. If nothing else, the book is gorgeous and full of interesting info and tips. I've enjoyed owning it! Hope that helps!

Bluehue Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Bluehue, this is what I do for Red Velvet cupcakes. I also added a scratch recipe if you can't find a box mix.

Oh thankyou so very much -
Have copied and printed both recipes - Cannot wait to make them. Confession = never seen one in the *flesh* let alone eaten one - a whole new adventure for me... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Guess what i am making on the weekend - icon_wink.gif

A very happy Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:08pm
post #21 of 24

Seems like people either really like them or not. They just have a hint of chocolate and I think some people want that rich chocolate taste! I personally really like them but the cream cheese frosting is a must!

Jenn2179 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:50pm
post #22 of 24

I liked his Vanilla Pound Cake and pumpkin pound cake minus the cloves. Did not like the chocolate pound cake.

bonniebakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #23 of 24

I just got this at the library, too. Any other recipes that those of you who have it think are good to try?

bonniebakes Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:14pm
post #24 of 24

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if anyone had tried any of the recipes yet. I'm planning to try one of the butter cake recipes tomorrow, but I'm not sure which one yet... any suggestions from those of you who have the book or who have tried recipes?

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%