Is Being A Cake Snob Bad?!?!

Decorating By Jennz818 Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 3:46am by talmas

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 6:52pm
post #31 of 42

Hey Ya'll,

I too am a Cake Snob, and turned my entire family into cake snobs as well.
My hubby & the lil ones will get in the kitchen and Bake me a cake for my birthday =0) Gotta love 'em for going through the whole process just for lil ole me =0)

Happy Birthday Jenn!!!!

~Sweet~=0)~

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 6:58pm
post #32 of 42

Happy Birthday Jennz818!!! birthday.gif
I don't think that you're wrong for being a cake snob.!!!

Have a good one

Daniela

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 3:18am
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! party.gifbirthday.gifparty.gifbirthday.gif

I never, ever get a cake from a store anymore. It's a waste of money for sure. thumbsdown.gif They all do taste like cardboard, crisco, or nothing at all. What gets me is that people actually buy them! I guess they don't know the difference between a cake decorator's cake & a retail cake. When they do find out they will never buy another retail cake again! thumbs_up.gif

I'm a cake snob too! icon_biggrin.gif When my friends go to weddings (of people I don't know) I get them to take pictures of the wedding cakes & groom's cakes for me! icon_lol.gif I make them tell me all about the cakes & how they tasted! icon_lol.gif Usually they'll call me on their way home from the wedding saying my cakes are the BOMB!! (I've brainwashed them!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gif LOL!!)

It's ok to be a cake snob!! LOL!! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

You've said exactly what I was thinking! Perfectly. icon_surprised.gif)

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 3:37am
post #34 of 42

Happy belated birthday Jennz81! And I am also a cake snob. But in defense of some grocery stores cakes, I have gotten some pretty good tasting cakes from our local Albertson's. Back in April our son got married and I did his wedding cake and we had the rehearsal dinner at our house the night before the wedding. I knew that with having a rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding, I wouldn't be able to make desserts for the rehearsal dinner and work on the wedding cake. So, my husband went to Albertson's and bought some pretty good cakes. I still prefer my homemade goodies though!

Janice

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 2:31pm
post #35 of 42

Just wanted to echo that not all grocery store cakes taste awful. Some of the chains here make good cakes. The quality also varies by the individual store. There is one location in particular here that makes wonderful cakes. Everyone is also shocked to discover that the cake came from a grocery store instead of a private bakery.

mtcw

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 3:11pm
post #36 of 42

I am a Wilton Cake Instructor and on the first night of class one of the things I always tell my students is that after you finish this class you will never buy another store bought cake again!! And it is more often true than not

witch_boots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
witch_boots Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 6:46pm
post #37 of 42

icon_biggrin.gif I believe I fit into the snob category, but I prefer to say I am an 'informed consumer' Newer studies show that 'homemade' is better for you than store bought or processed food, sooooo not only do our cakes taste better, they are better for you...(go with me on this one!!)

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 6:57pm
post #38 of 42

I'm with ya witch_boots! WE all know if we grow our own veggies they taste so much better than the store and they don't have the preservatives etc. Plus you can never buy the TLC that goes into homemade anything!!!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 8:42pm
post #39 of 42

Nanni I second that. thumbs_up.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 9:11pm
post #40 of 42

Well, I don't know how snobby I am.... but I won't eat any store bought cakes when I can get them freshly baked by ME...lol..I used to like Walmart cakes witht he whippedcreme icing...but not anymore... My hubby told me that my cakes taste soooo good they don't even need any icing...he likes the cake scraps...gobbles them up and soon as I trim them off...lol...
It's everyone's preference as to what they like to eat....I'm just a lover of freshly baked and decorated cakes...that's all...\\
Happy birthday....
cakegal

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 9:37pm
post #41 of 42

I'm a proud snob, too ! Went to a dinner at the local country club last night and the piece of "carrot cake" and I do not know how they charge for the food and get away with it. You could tell it was a very inferior box cake ... I use mixes myself, but I doctor them and they're every bit as good as homemade ... this last night was pure crap !

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:46am
post #42 of 42

I am definitely a cake snob. The first thing I do at any event is check out the cake. I critique every detail. Then I hear my friends say "Not a Terri cake".
I have to share a story of a wedding I recently attended.
A friend of mine got married in New Orleans at the Victoria Inn. The bride requested the groom's cake have the Penn State Nittany Lion and the LSU tiger. She was so upset the day of the wedding because all they did was laminate a print out of the two and set them on the cake with a border. Of course, in the past I had made a Nittany Lion out of royal icing for a birthday cake and they were expecting the same thing. They were even charged $108 for the groom's cake that was maybe a 9x13. I was pretty upset to, but I was asked not to say anything about the cakes to the bride as they didn't want her any more upset. I still can't believe a laminated printout for a wedding.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Terri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%