Adding Filling To Cake

Decorating By Janny42 Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm by JenniferMI

Janny42 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 6

I have done the dam effect with buttercream icing now on several cakes to prevent an area of bulging? However, each time after the cake has sat for several hours, it starts bulging around the edges? Please someone let me know what am I doing wrong?

5 replies
ThreeDGirlie Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 6

Are you just using plain butercream?

If so, thicken up your normal buttercream with PS - A LOT! I make mine so that I cna actually form it into a snake for my dam with my hands. very thick and sturdy.

Then, after I dam and fill, I push everythng down pretty firmly. I usually don't let my cakes settle when I use this method, and I haven't had any problems.

kakeladi2 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 6

To apply your dam w/thick b'cream use a tip 12 not a coupler (w/o a tip). Do not fill above the dam - keep it just below that level - you might be using too much filling. If uyou want more fill torte the cake into 3 pieces.
Also it's best if possible to fill cake and crumb coat, then let the cake settle several hours before applying finish coat of icing. This way if a buldge does appear you can smooth that icing out before finishing it.

CakeMommy3 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 6

Also, make sure that you don't apply your dam right at the edge of your cake. Put it about 1/4 of an inch inside the edge so that when it spreads a bit it just goes to the edge of the cake, not over it. I also push everything down like ThreeDGirlie and that has been working so far.

Janny42 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you very much for your comments. I will definitely try all of your suggestions. I was using buttercream icing. I had stiffened it some, but not to be able to handle with my hands.

JenniferMI Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 6

I also put the dam IN from the outer edge of the cake, 1'4 to 1'2". Don't over fill the cake........ Use a full bodied icing. I also push down on the cake after filled. I never have that problem.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%