Can Cream Cheese Be Frozen?

Decorating By mellormom Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 10:54am by mellormom

mellormom Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:43am
post #1 of 19

It is on sale now so I thought I would buy some but I don't need it right now.
Thanks in advance
Jen...

18 replies
Anntee Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 19

Cream cheese can be frozen for short periods (couple/months). But it does change consistency, and gets somewhat grainy. Ok for cooking (not cheesecake) but not for spreading. HTH

mellormom Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 19

thanks!
Jen...

mamacc Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 19

I don't usually freeze it but I do buy 6-8 at a time and it lasts quite a while...

kjgjam22 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 19

it does get grainy after and it cannot be "fixed". all the cream cheese I buy says for a long time in my fridge with no problems. the box also says do not freeze..most cheeses cannot be frozen.

kjskid Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #6 of 19

Check the expiration date on the packages. Usually cream cheese lasts quite a while. Of course, then it takes up room in the fridge.

mamacc Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #7 of 19

I freeze cheddar, mozzarella and hard cheeses all the time. They all are fine...the cheddar gets a little more crumbly but that's it. The hard cheeses we grate and freeze, then use right from the freezer.

janelwaters Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #8 of 19

I tried freezing cream cheese and then used it to make Cream Cheese Icing - BIG MISTAKE!! I will NEVER freeze cream cheese again for anything!

just my opinion after the disaster it created for me.

Good luck!!
Janel

bbmom Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #9 of 19

Usually the expiration date is pretty far ahead so I've never worried about it. I was actually wondering about freezing butter? I know I can google it and find the answer but then I just found this thread. Anyway I just bought 4lbs today it was onsale for $1.39 limit of 4 and I already have 3 in the fridge. So I may need to check dates. I wonder if I can go back to the store and get 4 more tomorrow? Its not like they'll remember I was there today.

Cakeonista Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #10 of 19

Cream cheese actually freezes well but the consistency does change. I always have cream cheese in my freezer for baking cheese cakes all the time. The taste is not affected whatsover.

mirda6275 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #11 of 19

bbmom-I'm not sure for how long, but you can definitely freeze butter. I grew up with my mom doing it all the time and I now have 2 big blocks from sam's in my freezer. I usually let it sit out to thaw or cut it up and microwave for very short periods of time to soften. I've never had a problem with it! hth

varika Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

Usually the expiration date is pretty far ahead so I've never worried about it. I was actually wondering about freezing butter? I know I can google it and find the answer but then I just found this thread. Anyway I just bought 4lbs today it was onsale for $1.39 limit of 4 and I already have 3 in the fridge. So I may need to check dates. I wonder if I can go back to the store and get 4 more tomorrow? Its not like they'll remember I was there today.




My family has frozen butter for years and never had any problem with it. As long as it stays wrapped, it's fine. I don't recommend freezing it once you've cut a stick, because of freezer burn.

Skirt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:04am
post #13 of 19

cream cheese, no. thumbsdown.gif Butter, yes. thumbs_up.gif Butter belongs either on the counter or in the freezer. No fridge for me. Nothing worse than trying to spread hard butter on bread... icon_mad.gif

mellormom Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:39am
post #14 of 19

Skirt: I hear ya on the spreading butter! I don't mind the spreadable kind in the fridge but sticks of butter forget it! icon_mad.gif The only problem with putting them in the freezer is that you have to remember to take them out in advance to thaw. LOL You can use the micro but that is a pain in the you know what. LOL icon_smile.gif
Jen...

mona87 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 19

ive never tried freezing cream cheese on its own before. i have frozen cheesecakes, and cakes with cream cheese icing and they were fine, but cream cheese, but itself, i dont think it would be as good as if it were fresh. butter does freeze well though. cream cheese always seems to be on sale at one point or another (atleast in philly lol) so i wouldnt stock up unloess you were ready to use it sometime soon :p

kjgjam22 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

Cream cheese actually freezes well but the consistency does change. I always have cream cheese in my freezer for baking cheese cakes all the time. The taste is not affected whatsover.




how can it freeze well if it changes the consistency?? just wondering. to me if it froze well then nothing would change. just my thoughts.

xstitcher Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:46am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

Skirt: I hear ya on the spreading butter! I don't mind the spreadable kind in the fridge but sticks of butter forget it! icon_mad.gif The only problem with putting them in the freezer is that you have to remember to take them out in advance to thaw. LOL You can use the micro but that is a pain in the you know what. LOL icon_smile.gif
Jen...




I actually had forgotten to take my butter out of the freezer to thaw and needed it right away to make SMBC, what I did is grate it. I was able to use it right away this way. I've also heard that if you beat it (like with a rolling pin) this will thaw it as well.

7yyrt Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm
post #18 of 19

I freeze everything - cheeses, butter, cottage cheese, eggs, chocolate, coffee creamer... all can be used at least for cooking afterwards.

mellormom Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:54am
post #19 of 19

I never thought freezing food would be such a popular topic! icon_smile.gif LOL Thanks everyone. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%