Part 2 - Last Cake Standing

Decorating By KieslerKakes Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 3:02am by classiccake

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:07am
post #1 of 30

Anyone watch Part 2? I really enjoyed the show this time. And I loved all the cakes. Can't wait for Part 3 next week.

29 replies
Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:19am
post #2 of 30

will there be a repeat??? I missed it icon_sad.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:36am
post #3 of 30

It is on the DVR but I have not watched it yet.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:42am
post #4 of 30

I watched it. Did enjoy all the cakes this time. Poor James! I hated that his cake was leaning. I think if I were going to choose a cake it would have been his, even if it WAS leaning. GO JAMES! But a lot of work went in to all the cakes and "I" for one, appreciate all that work!

Beth in KY

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:48am
post #5 of 30

It was very good in MHO. I enjoyed it more than the first one.The format was different. The end was a nice surprise for me.

Sunflowerbagel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflowerbagel Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:53am
post #6 of 30

I was so worried Mary would get kicked out, since she jumped out of the limo first. I did not want that. I want to see what she has to offer this entire competition. Her work is amazing!

Do they edit Bronwen to sound so "reality star interview style", or is she playing a part? Her little talks crack me up. When she talked about Mary's cake and added the bit about the bride's grandmother, it was kind of funny. Also, she sounded (editing?) so cocky about staying in the limo the longest and she didn't even get her cake finished.

They seem to really be focusing on the rivalry between Mary and Bronwen. Bronwen seems to get all the good "trash talk" lines, however. Maybe it's editing to make this seem more interesting for those who aren't cakers. My friend seemed to really enjoy that aspect. It brings a, "Who is going to win? Bronwen or Mary?" feel to the whole competition. Well... then neither did -- haha

Kerry was SO happy that James couldn't do his flowers. I wonder if each of these episodes will have a "Kerry verses James' style" theme. I hope not. He proved he could do a cake, although it leaned, without all his flowers.

I REALLY liked this episode, however. The challenge was something that had never been done before...time or info, your choice. Genius!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative_chika

It will be on again Wednesday (15th) @ 6:00 central time.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowerbagel

They seem to really be focusing on the rivalry between Mary and Bronwen. Bronwen seems to get all the good "trash talk" lines, however. Maybe it's editing to make this seem more interesting for those who aren't cakers. My friend seemed to really enjoy that aspect. It brings a, "Who is going to win? Bronwen or Mary?" feel to the whole competition. Well... then neither did -- haha

Kerry was SO happy that James couldn't do his flowers. I wonder if each of these episodes will have a "Kerry verses James' style" theme. I hope not. He proved he could do a cake, although it leaned, without all his flowers.

I had the same thought about Bronwen trashing Mary. Who knows what happens in editing, but she sure did say some petty things about her. Jealous, anyone?

And the thing that I don't understand about Kerry's obsession with those flowers, is that a timed competition isn't really the time to do things that are new for your decorating style. Shouldn't she be expecting all of the competitors to play to their own strengths? James does beautiful flowers, so I'd expect him to use them on his cakes, not ignore them.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 30

I think the reason why Kerry wants James to avoid the flowers, its because she wants to see the other side of James. As you can see, many of James' cakes are actually predictable. Yes they are very nice (I'm a huge fan of his work), but they tend to have the same style; I'm not sure if it's the flowers or whatnot. I was actually surprised on this episode because I couldn't tell whether its a Rosselle cake or not.

I love Bronwen, shes one of my personal favorites as a cake designer. I don't think she came out cocky. Her cake isn't my favorite, but I'm glad she stuck that wire and saved her. I'm also starting to like Mary. Her cakes are wonderful. Her techiques are amazing. Although her cake on this episode didn't give the bride and grooms wants, I still think it is fabulous.

Courtney is sweet and so is Elisa. I wished she could have stayed.

costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 30

I just find it interesting that the commetns that Bronwen made were mostly about Mary (if something will work for or against her, Keegan should have a big button that he just presses to give Mary the win, Mary's cake was Grandma's, etc). Either Bronwen does have a big chip on her shoulder about Mary winning (I don't know how many competitions they've been in together, but I can see that if she kept losing to her it would be irritating), or the Food Network editors are at it again and are trying to make it look like there's big catfight going on between them.

If I was Bronwen and saw the way that I'd been portrayed on the interview segments, I'd make an effort to either say nothing about Mary at all, or just keep it neutral/nice. They wouldn't be able to edit that into anything to make her look bad! (And I do think that she looked bad after the segments last night. My 10-yr-old daughter was watching, and said that Bronwen was a sore loser after hearing her comments.)

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative_chika

And they will show it at 7 on Sunday before part 3 that airs at 8 as well!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:52pm
post #12 of 30

I love all the cake challenges and this one was interesting, no doubt about it. Personally, I could just kind of tell that Elisa was going to be going home just because her cake was kind of boring next to all of the other cake decorator's. She didn't stay in the car long enough to find out that the couple didn't want a traditional cake, flowers, etc.

Mary is really lucky, because if Elisa hadn't been there to take the fall, she probably would have gone home. I loved her cake -- don't get me wrong. But she jumped out first! I did think it was "vintage-trendy". But I thought and eggie cake was risky! Browen's cake was pretty cool. I hated the blue and the pink she chose, they were just too bright. And I think she would have done better if she had been able to finish her topper.

I did think it was funny that the groom told James that there was too much emphasis on the golf ball, when he originally said he liked golf.

Last but not least, I loved Courtney's cake and thought she deserved to win.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #13 of 30

So Elisa went home? I really like her....I can't wait to see it.....I love Mary's work also and Bronwen's too but sometimes the colors she use together throws me off a bit...IMHO!!!

I like Courtney's work...but I'm just not really feeling her after she damaged Jorg's cake (on Miley Cyrus challenge) and didn't say anything...and when Kerry called her out on it she tried to play dumb!

jaklotz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaklotz1 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #14 of 30

You can tell from the intro of the show who will be the next to go. I had a feeling it was going to be Elisa going home last night because you can see future cakes that followed a certain theme from three of the decorators and she was not one of them. That is the case for who I believe will be going home next as well. Maybe I am wrong.

Rylan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #15 of 30

I don't understand why people think that the "grandmother comment" was a bit too much. I don't ever find that offensive at all. She was probably refering to a vintage or a traditional old world look and chose the word "grandmother" to describe it.

I think the editing done in this show has made the show more exciting. No spice = less exciting.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I don't understand why people think that the "grandmother comment" was a bit too much. I don't ever find that offensive at all. She was probably refering to a vintage or a traditional old world look and chose the word "grandmother" to describe it.

I think the editing done in this show has made the show more exciting. No spice = less exciting.

No, she said *well, maybe their Grandmother will like the cake*.

As costumeczar said maybe BW should not *give* them anything juicy to edit in. Respect of her fellow competitors would be a breath of fresh air from her. I'd love to see that for a change.

I've never seen her complement any of the other decorators/
competitors that she competes against. Sure she's talented but so are the rest of them and they all have their own style.

So to me she usually comes off as a *poor loser* too, as someone above said. You see her reaction to the announcement of the winner and it's like she can't believe someone liked their cake better then hers.

Sophomoric behavior stinks thumbsdown.gif

Rylan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm
post #17 of 30

Yes, I know that she said that, "maybe their grandmother will like the cake". I don't find that comment offensive. In my opinion, since she said that their grandmother will like it (as we all know a lot of grandmothers usually have a traditional taste) I therefore conclude that she is trying to express that the cake has more of a traditional vintage look--which is obviously true. It shouldn't be taken as a negative comment.

To make a show, they would have to edit some parts. Not everything is going to make it to the show. If I am not wrong, Buddy Valestro himself and so is Courtney did mention that there are a lot of clips that never make it to the Food Network Challenge. Maybe Bronwen's "complementary clips" were never aired.

I love Bronwen. She's one of my favorite at the challenges. I don't like to judge people from what I see on TV. It's TV and they tend to highlight the small things that can make a huge huge difference. You would have to meet her to see how she is like.

costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Yes, I know that she said that, "maybe their grandmother will like the cake". I don't find that comment offensive. In my opinion, since she said that their grandmother will like it (as we all know a lot of grandmothers usually have a traditional taste) I therefore conclude that she is trying to express that the cake has more of a traditional vintage look--which is obviously true. It shouldn't be taken as a negative comment.

To make a show, they would have to edit some parts. Not everything is going to make it to the show. If I am not wrong, Buddy Valestro himself and so is Courtney did mention that there are a lot of clips that never make it to the Food Network Challenge. Maybe Bronwen's "complementary clips" were never aired.

I'm with you on the editing, I'm sure they go for a certain angle and edit in what they want us to see to reinforce that. However, it wasn't the grandmother comment itself, but the way she said it, that made it rude. It was a "ha ha, granny will like that old-fashioned thing" tone, not a "what a nice, vintage cake" tone.

You can edit comments, you can't edit tone, so she should just be careful about what she's recorded saying. That's all I'm suggesting... I don't know her and I really don't care if she's jealous of the other competitors, a sore loser, or the nicest person on earth. I'm just saying that if I saw myself being portrayed that way I'd watch what I said REEEEALLY carefully, so I wouldn't be giving them anything to work with!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 30

When I saw the egg cake, I told my hubby I thought my 89 year old mother would like it.
I was shocked they didn't choose Bronwen's cake, especially as they said they chose the cake they did because it had all their interests on it. The decorator added most of them at the last minute, and they were so subtle...
Well, that's odd from me - I love Mike MacCarey's cakes and Michelle Bommarito's cakes and Buddy's cakes and Bronwen's cakes and Margaret Braun's cakes and Gramma's cut-up cakes and so on and so on...
Why should anyone else be any more consistent ?

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #20 of 30

Thanks for answering my question!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

So Elisa went home? I really like her....I can't wait to see it.....I love Mary's work also and Bronwen's too but sometimes the colors she use together throws me off a bit...IMHO!!!

I like Courtney's work...but I'm just not really feeling her after she damaged Jorg's cake (on Miley Cyrus challenge) and didn't say anything...and when Kerry called her out on it she tried to play dumb!

Courtney came on here herself and defended that... it didn't really happen as shown/edited. I still like her icon_smile.gif

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #22 of 30

I watched it and enjoyed it very much. As soon as I saw Courtney's design, I knew she was the winner. The feeling I got from the clients as to what they wanted was exactly where Courtney went with it. All the cakes were awesome (those particular decorators wouldn't be there if they didn't do awesome work!), but Courtney's hit the mark the most. James' was leaning and the golf ball was too much a focal point. Bronwen's was a little too bright and although it included a lot of personal touches, it was a bit "cartoon-y" for the clients I think. Mary's was too vintage and didn't have enough "edge", and Elisa's was too traditional.

I thought it was a great challenge...having an innate intuitive ability to read people and get a feel for what they like and want is a big part of being a successful decorator!

~Sarah

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #23 of 30

I'm just enjoying watching this competition in general. It is so neat to see all these great decorators together in one show. They have all my favorites on the show. I love Bronwen, Mary, Courtney and Michelle. I haven't seen much of James or Elisa, but now I love them, too! It is really cool to see the different techniques they are using. I am truly getting inspired by everything they are doing. I felt so bad that Bronwen didn't get to finish her cake. And Mary's cake, though off the mark of what the couple wanted, was SOOOO cool! I really liked the idea of the doors with stuff hidden behind them. Elisa's cake was really awesome. It was a shame it just didn't have much of what the couple wanted. And Courtney and James both had neat cakes. I am excited to see next week! icon_smile.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm
post #24 of 30

I really liked that they did not make them choose who went home this time. As for James flowers etc... I think this type of a competition is good for the decorators because it forces them to step outside of what they normally do and show that they have a range in thier decorating. If the object of the show is for the best decorator to be the last one there, then they MUST show that they can do varying styles and not just lock themselves into flowers or modeling of characters and so on. I think it will come down to Mary and Bronwen (don't think i spelled that right) in the end. Next week with pairing them up should be very interesting since 2 type A people trying to do one cake can be a sticky situation.

Nestley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nestley Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #25 of 30

I agree that the thing between Bronwen and Mary is too much. Bronwen has a great dislike of Mary and doesnt mind showing it. Sometimes I think that Browen is going to start throwing cake a Mary! I knew that Elisa was going home because her cake was too much of a traditional wedding cake. The branches were really a bit much for this challenge. I cant wait until next weeks show.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #26 of 30

I watched it, and maybe I l got lost or coughed or went to the ktiche...but what did the eggs on the cake come into play? I mean I heard skiing, golf, no bling, no wedding cake...egg?

Elisse should have stayed and paid attention, her cake looked to traditional, pretty but traditional. I cant wait til the next one!!! I dont miss any of those shows...i stay planted.

James I was surprised that he wanted to push the flowers, and when he was told ok, that he only used very little, that was good on his part.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #27 of 30

I thought the results were right on...Courtney on top and Elisa out the door.

I am anxious to see what happens next!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:56am
post #28 of 30

I love all of them...takes guts to do a challenge like that...I applaud alll of them!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Brooke420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke420 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #29 of 30

This is my new "have to record" show. Next week's theme is "Extreme Superhero". The info said they have to base it on an original super hero. Should be interesting. My DVR is already set to record.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #30 of 30

I totally agree Edna. It is one thing to not be "the winner" of a contest. It is another thing to be told to leave and the others can stay and compete again!

They are all great decorators and competitors!

I think it has been interesting that the winners and losers have been kind of "obvious" on these challenges. I am sure it will come "down to the wire." The FNW has added some interesting twists to showcase more than just "decorating" skills.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%