Mini Van Cake

Decorating By paula1234 Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 1:56am by paula1234

paula1234 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to carving cakes, only done one before and it actually turned out pretty well. my dad is turning 73 on april 25th and he has some dementia and he sits in his old dodge caravan and either me or one of my boys sit with him and he pretends to drive to California and we are always home by dinner. i was wanting to try to carve that red carivan for him. does anyone have any ideas on how to do this. any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance

4 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 5

First of all let me say that your story of your dad brought a tear to my eye. I think it is very sweet that you sit in the van with him and I dont think I could ever be able to sell that van. BUT, on to your question,
Maybe you could start out with a loaf pan cake for the van and using a template in the shape of the side view of the van carve it to get your basic shape and put it on a sheet cake (depending on the amount you need) with a road on it? Maybe even with something Calaforniaish (is that a word??) on the horizon like the HOLLYWOOD sign. I would love to see what you come up with. God Bless.

panchanewjersey Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 5

I love your story, so nice to see some people still have patience for their parents. Sorry can't help with the van cake but you might want to google or you tube might have something. Good luck.

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #4 of 5

When I'm carving cakes I like to bake a few sheet cakes decide on my size then stack. So decide length by width and cut your bottom layers (either 2 or 3-eyeball it) then put the next 2 or 3 layers on top of that and carve the windshield part at a small slope. After finding your window, you can put in a couple of dowels through all the layers. Soften up your edges and rear windshield angle then frost and cover with fondant if using fondant.

On a more personal note, that is wonderful that you and your children sit with your dad in the car. You've obviously raised your children right! Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

paula1234 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 5

thanks for all the advice. i am going to do a cake before his birthday. a lot of people here know that i have 3 wonderful boys. they lost their father 3 years ago. he committed suicide. my mother passed away 1 and 1/2 ago and then my brother a year ago. we all got into cake decorating as therapy. best therapy ever!!!!!!!!!!! we are all hooked. today was my oldest son's birthday and we sat around the table discussing our next cake--the minivan!! i am trying to post pictures. i will definitely post this one. once again thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%