Fondant Users Are Special People!

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm by JenniferMI

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 9

I finished making my first fondant covered cake this weekend. Wow!! I attempted to make mff, but apparently had the wrong recipe so first batch was a total disaster. Second time around it was perfect. Great feel and taste. It was fun to play with as it was like making things out of playdoh as a child.
However, I have concluded it isn't something I want to do all the time. Even though the recipe wasn't difficult it took a long time as I had to wait for it to cure. Next time...that is if and when there is a next time, I will probably buy some, but not Wilton's. Have used it before for decorations and it is aweful taste.
So for those of you that do this every day I think you are crazy!!!lol icon_lol.gif It is so time consuming making any type of cake, but fondant was even more so for me. Not to leave out you buttercream users either as I also think it can be difficult to get the bc to be just right even more so than fondant.
I enjoy making cakes for my kids, but don't plan on doing any more as it would drive me insane. I am a perfectionist and can't be when it comes to cakes. I definately understand why cakes are so expensive. For one, the ingredients it takes are a lot. But the biggie is the time and creativity. I have gotten by so far with self teaching, but now know I need to take some classes on this if I want to make beautiful cakes like so many of you. Great job!!!

8 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 9

Fondant work takes practice. Also I can recommend three excellent fondant videos: JenniferMI's "Fun with Fondant Frills" and "The Easy and Tasty Way to Perfect Fondant" and Sugarshack's "Flawless fondant". They are all awesome, with instructions on making and working with fondant. But remember, it's practice, practice, practice!! icon_biggrin.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 9

I have never made fondant,too much trouble,i ALWAYS buy.

Puppylove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puppylove Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 9

I am sorry to hear that you are so frustrated with Fondant. I wanted to let you know the recipe that I have found to be QUICK, EASY, TASTY and WORKS EVERYTIME on a website called: cakejournal.com. Please before you give up on it try her recipe out first and hopefully, like it did for me, it will change all your bad opinions of working with fondant.... thumbs_up.gif You can see what I have done with it in my pictures. Let me know what you think after you try it out.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 9

I love Toba Garrett's recipe posted by myself sometime ago. I find it so quick and easy to make. It's foolproof and I succeeded with it the very first try. Tastes awesome as well. I almost always use almond flavouring. Just made a batch this afternoon for a lego cake I'm making this week. You should give that recipe a try. It really is worth it. Better luck next time icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 9

Darlin' I was 30 years a BC decorator and swore I'd never touch that fondant stuff. Then these evil CC'ers took me kicking and screaming into the world of fondant and as much as I hate to admit it, it's pretty fun to work with.

You may have taken on too much at the beginning. Buy some Satin Ice and learn the techniques of fondant before diving in with making it and trying to figure out how to decorate with it all at once. Baby steps.

If *I* can do it, anyone can! thumbs_up.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:09am
post #7 of 9

I haven't tried real fondant yet...still having too much fun with MMF! But definitely, practice first with premade stuff if it takes too long to make. Part of the reason why I haven't tried regular fondant yet is because MMF is so easy and cheap so I haven't felt the need to try.

Although there are so many forum posts that say it's so much better, that I definitely do want to try it soon.

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #8 of 9

It isn't that I am giving up on cake making and decorating all together. I wouldn't want anyone else to do this as there aren't any good decorators around me. Plus, I like to design a cake after looking at the hundreds of pics on here for inspiration.
My biggest problem is I just have not had enough practice and I haven't had any training. So, when I have an idea, I think I can do it and then it ends up being a bigger deal than I thought. I really need to practice, but I really don't eat cake much and don't like sweets in my house. (I am a pe and health teacher). I don't want to waste $ on doing dummies either. Maybe just need to volunteer to do a cake here and there for others.
My kids always love their cakes and I always get compliments from family and friends. However, I want them to be better. Others tell me they are cute or I do a good job, but I don't always see it. I think it is because I see what others have done on here. Whereas people around me compare them to the boring cakes made by grocery store bakeries as that is all we really have nearby. I see it as a little hobby for me to be creative, much like scrapbooking.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 9

I use a semi-homemade chocolate fondant that is EASY to make and EASY to apply. 99.9% of the weddings that go out my door are fondant. They taste it, they buy it icon_smile.gif

If you have any questions I might be able to help you with, please let me know.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%