Another "instead Of Wedding Cake...." Article

Decorating By indydebi Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 6:40am by tallgood

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 74

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/871473/skip_the_wedding_cake_three_alternate.html?cat=23

I'm tellin' ya, if I go to a wedding and they hand me a bag of M&M's instead of a piece of wedding cake, I'm adopting my son-in-law's attitude of "no white cake with white icing? I'm taking my gift back and leaving!"

73 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 74

Well lets hope if they choose candy, their favorite isn't Tootsie Rolls 'cause I can see some interesting *sculputures* floating in the punch bowl now...

Cake, people!! WEDDING CAKE!! Geeeeezeeeeeeee

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 74

Because you care for the bride and groom, you :
spend most of a precious day off work to go,
pay a babysitter,
buy a present,
get dressed up (yuck),
fill the tank with gas to get there,
listen to too loud music for hours,
stay too late when you have to go back to work in the morning...

...and they hand you a candy bar that you could have picked up at that gas station - minus the tulle, of course.

Isn't that special.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 74

Oh, that is ridiculous! Can you just see the picture of the bride and groom cutting the skittles?

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 74

I also noticed that the first item, cupcakes, didn't mention costs, but the second item, cookies, started with the phrase, "Another way to cut costs..." Yup, individualized cupcakes are going to be MUCH cheaper, right? Right?? icon_razz.gif

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #6 of 74

And how they can be baked "a day or two before" the wedding.

Oh THAT'S a reality show I wanna watch! A bride, 2 days before her wedding, baking and decorating a couple of hundred wedding cake shaped cookies, when she's never done it before!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 74

Did you see the Budget Wedding Cake Ideas (they are in a box on the page with the cake suggestions?)

One of them was to find a "closet" baker to do the cake for free or just for the ingredients.

A couple of the others were pretty good too! LOL

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 74

the cookies and candy ideas sound more like favors than dessert.... and I think that if the bride or groom have a favorite candy, that personalized candy would be super cute favors. But I agree, if I go to a wedding, I would be disappointed if given a candy bar for dessert.

Now, I'm a cake decorator, but I really don't like cake, and neither does my boyfriend. We've both agreed that if the time ever comes that we get married, it's a fall wedding with apple cider donuts and pecan pie. My boss makes the most AMAZING apple cider donuts that my boyfriend and I go gaga over! I don't care what people say, I don't want cake at my wedding if neither one of us even like it!

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #9 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstonia

Oh, that is ridiculous! Can you just see the picture of the bride and groom cutting the skittles?

Oh good grief! I just spit my soda out all over the computer monitor! Didn't anticipate the skittles and got a mental pic of it!

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #10 of 74

Hey, boofy, you can still stack those doughnuts in a tower like a wedding cake! thumbs_up.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Isn't that special.

I can totally hear "The Church Lady" giving heck to a bride and groom doing this!

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #12 of 74

I do want to stack my donuts icon_smile.gif I want a tower of sparkly cinnamon sugar donuts on a pedestal with some fresh flowers tucked in between the donuts. sweet and simple icon_smile.gif and screw saving a donut for our one year anniversary, I'll just go to the bakery and get some fresh ones! And donuts are a hell of a lot cheaper than cake or cupcakes... icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:40am
post #13 of 74

I kind of want a doughnut now...

I totally agree that if people go well out of their way to attend your wedding, buy you a gift, possibly even fly out there, then the least you can do is give them a really special dessert, be it cake, a to die for doughnut or pie, whatever, but not a candy bar. (but a personalized one could be a cute favor)

7yyrt Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #14 of 74
Quote:

I'm not sure why, but that sounds like a fart joke to me. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 74
Quote:

Because you care for the bride and groom, you :
spend most of a precious day off work to go,
pay a babysitter,
buy a present,
get dressed up (yuck),
fill the tank with gas to get there,
listen to too loud music for hours,
stay too late when you have to go back to work in the morning...

...and they hand you a candy bar that you could have picked up at that gas station - minus the tulle, of course.

Isn't that special.

Ok, I think 7yyrt made Quote of the Week:

Isn't that Special?

icon_lol.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #16 of 74
Quote:

And dangerous! Hold the knife at the wrong angle, and that skittle is gonna pop out, shoot across the room, and hit the MOB in the eye! icon_lol.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 74

I'm still miffed that at the last wedding my husband was a groomsman at, I had to sit there and dream of cake while everyone else was server Banana's Foster and the bride and groom had a HUGE piece of cake each. I was going to steal them off their table, seeing as neither ate any.

According to the wedding planner, the bride didn't "want cake because she's diabetic." I told my MIL (who was sitting at the table with the planner) to ask if I could have the cake the bride obviously didn't want.

Ok, so I'm still BITTER, not miffed. icon_sad.gif

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #18 of 74

I agree with everyone... if I go to a wedding, get dressed up, get the baby dressed (if she's allowed to go), and there's no cake, even if I didn't make it, I want cake! =D

I <3 cake and think sometimes that's the best part, mostly.

Maybe all this cost cutting advice will turn around when the trend moves to this scenario... "bride realizes that after much anticipation of her big day, a few days before, a donut cake was not the magical sweet treat she had hoped to envision on her day. she contacts a local baker to get a rush job, only to pay twice as much as she would have paid if she had stuck with a real wedding cake in the first place and ordered ahead." Now THAT's cost effective... for us =D

I'm not in business yet, but when I get there if anyone asks for cuppies for their "cake" who knows what might happen... LOL HA HA HA

7yyrt Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 74

I was reading the Budget Wedding Cake Ideas, and came across this line. -

"Just remember, in the end your cake will only last one night, and will probably end up smashed in your face."
--
My my, I really am curious what else they will be eating.

Or wearing all over their faces.

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #20 of 74
Quote:

"Just remember, in the end your cake will only last one night, and will probably end up smashed in your face."

Giving the impression that $300 worth of cake is getting smashed in your face ... when in reality it's only about 50 cents worth.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #21 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Giving the impression that $300 worth of cake is getting smashed in your face ... when in reality it's only about 50 cents worth.

I just hate that. I told my husband he was going to spend his honeymoon sleeping on the couch if he did that to me. I know some folks find it funny, but to me it is just awful and mean spirited and horrid.

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

You should see the pics fo me and my hubby with the cake....and you know what....it was freakin priceless when I smashed half a teir into his face....cost effictive or not, I'd do it again icon_lol.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #23 of 74

What is your opinion about ice cream cake? Cold Stone not cruddy 31 flavors

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-tiff

I also noticed that the first item, cupcakes, didn't mention costs, but the second item, cookies, started with the phrase, "Another way to cut costs..." Yup, individualized cupcakes are going to be MUCH cheaper, right? Right?? icon_razz.gif

hahaha..totally agreed!!

Im with everyone else...If I go to a wedding and dont get cake I would be ticked off! lol..

I think cupcakes and cookies are a cute idea for favors but I dont see how one would be cutting costs....Sorry but replacing a wedding cake with cookies is tacky and cheap... I think the cupcake idea is cute if they are pretty..but its not for me

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:42am
post #25 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiCakeCook

What is your opinion about ice cream cake? Cold Stone not cruddy 31 flavors

That would be awesome and deffinately different...but I don't think you could have it out for everyone to see before it being cut due to the melting factor.

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:09am
post #26 of 74

if the bride truely wants to cut cost on her wedding cake she shoule consider going with one of these.
LL
LL
LL

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:23am
post #27 of 74

Imagine how we felt - dressed to the nines - full tank of petrol for the 1.5 hour each way trip - beautifully wrapped gift -
standing in 43C = 116F heat for a garden wedding - then ushered inside for a menu that l thought the scouts had thrown together out the back.
I kid you not - we had the CHOICE of either 2 grilled sausages OR a mince burger.......accompanied by a dessertspoon of either green salad OR that tacky 3 bean mix stuff............. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

And lets not talk about THAT cake. tapedshut.gif

112 people at the wedding - and the cake was for 60. icon_eek.gif
NO we didn't get any - only the females were meant to get cake (WT?) but for some reason OUR TABLE didn't get a look in. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I was sooooooooooo hungry - so pi$$ed off and sooooooooooooo bloody hot i turned to the DH and said - "get me outta here before i collapse on the floor from hunger or melt....lets get in the car with the a/con on and drive to the nearest Golden Arches (McDonalds)"
So we did. Looked like right rabbits sitting in maccas in heels - evening dress and diamonds - but did i care - hell no - i was getting fed - cool and rehydrated. icon_lol.gif

I don't care what kind of cake a bride and groom choose - but pllllllllease just make sure you have enough cake for all.

Got a thankyou card from the newly weds - thanking us for sharing their special day AND HELPING TO MAKE IT A GREAT EVENING...guess we weren't missed as we shot down the mountain looking for a maccas icon_razz.gif - they also mentioned that the staff did a *stirling job* because there was even 13 sausages and 5 mince burgers left - *faint*

I know many try and keep the purse strings tight when getting married - but that was just tacky - lousey and MEAN.

Gee i feel good now that i have finally spoken of it - lol lol
Have had that bottled up since Feb - icon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Breath in - then out - in - then out - icon_lol.gif

Bluehue.

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:35am
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofycakes

Now, I'm a cake decorator, but I really don't like cake, and neither does my boyfriend. We've both agreed that if the time ever comes that we get married, it's a fall wedding with apple cider donuts and pecan pie. My boss makes the most AMAZING apple cider donuts that my boyfriend and I go gaga over! I don't care what people say, I don't want cake at my wedding if neither one of us even like it!

I found these online. If you want donuts I say go for it. It's your special day and you should have what you want.
LL
LL
LL

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:10pm
post #29 of 74

I hate to tell you all, but up here, candy bars (not the wrapped ones, but the table that you walk up to! icon_wink.gif ) have been really big for a few years. The good thing is that brides have been figuring out though that candy bars are just as expensive as wedding cakes...once you buy all of the pretty jars and scoops to put all of your candy in, then the pretty bags or chinese take-out bags (yes, that's the big thing for candy bars!) for your guests to fill with candy, you are way up past the cost of a wedding cake! icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

Just found a photo of a candy bar...
LL

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #30 of 74

I actually had a bride tell me a few months ago that she read in a wedding magazine that you should only order enough cake for 75% of your guests! I about fell on the floor! Although some people may opt out of cake, you NEVER want to not give them the choice because you didn't order enough! That is rediculous! The worst part is, some bride believe everything they read in these stupid articles!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%