Freezing High Ratio?

Decorating By wildflower Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm by wildflower

wildflower Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 11

hi!
i have an insane amount of leftover high ratio because smart me bought 16 lbs of it instead of 16 cups and so my question is has anyone ever frozen their high ratio shortening, and if you have can you share any tips please?
i dont when im going to be finished that large an amount of it because i dont run a business,i only do occaisional cakes for freinds and family and i would really hate to have all that go bad or something[does it go bad?]
anyway if it helps anyone i think the company that makes it is called monarch
thank you all so much in advance!

10 replies
JanH Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:50am
post #2 of 11

I bought a 50# cube of Sweetex which I divided among commercial food service containers from Sam's Club.

Other members divide the shortening into portions suitable for their recipe/s using freezer bags and/or rigid containers.

Freezing shortening is no big deal. It's in the freezer with my sale butter and tub margarine. icon_smile.gif

HTH

xstitcher Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:54am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

I bought a 50# cube of Sweetex which I divided among commercial food service containers from Sam's Club.

Other members divide the shortening into portions suitable for their recipe/s using freezer bags and/or rigid containers.

Freezing shortening is no big deal. It's in the freezer with my sale butter and tub margarine. icon_smile.gif

HTH

Yes you can freeze it. Don't know how long it extends the life of hi ratio but on the shelf it supposed to last 12 months.

Jan, I don't think I've ever bought butter at reg price. I always buy it on sale and freeze it too!

ceshell Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:08am
post #4 of 11

Personally, I'd freeze it rather than keep it in the pantry and hope it doesn't go bad. I too have read about the 12mo shelf life (maybe Jan linked me to that info lol!) but you've gotta figure, you don't know how old it was to start with, and also freezing eliminates any potential risks of spoilage due to temperature fluctuations in your pantry. I had some go bad on me, it was just a small tub but I'd bought it on a whim and didn't use it for at least 6 months. By the time I got to it, it was rancid thumbsdown.gif. So now I freeze it, no matter what. Just like the sale butter indeed! icon_wink.gif

xstitcher Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:13am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Personally, I'd freeze it rather than keep it in the pantry and hope it doesn't go bad. I too have read about the 12mo shelf life (maybe Jan linked me to that info lol!)icon_wink.gif

and I got it from you icon_lol.gif

ceshell Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:36am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I too have read about the 12mo shelf life (maybe Jan linked me to that info lol!)icon_wink.gif

and I got it from you icon_lol.gif

Heehee, CC is one big game of "pass it on"! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

queenie1958 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:05am
post #7 of 11

I've just ordered a big box. Glad to know I can seperate and freeze.
This site is so helpful

bostonterrierlady Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 11

I bought a big box 1 year ago. It is still good last I checked. What do you think should I dispose of it. I am making a cake in 3 weeks. I am trying to make Crisco work.
I am not to crazy about trans fats.

wildflower Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:49am
post #9 of 11

omg thank you so much guys!
i had no idea that i got all these replies so here i spent the past couple days thinking that i should give myself a bump,i just hadnt gotten around to coming on cake central cuz lets face it galz,we need time for this, its addictingicon_razz.gif
aaanyway i didnt even get notified of the replies...hmmm
anyways thank you so much!icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:02am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower

omg thank you so much guys!
i had no idea that i got all these replies so here i spent the past couple days thinking that i should give myself a bump,i just hadnt gotten around to coming on cake central cuz lets face it galz,we need time for this, its addictingicon_razz.gif
aaanyway i didnt even get notified of the replies...hmmm
anyways thank you so much!icon_smile.gif

Yeah, there's a funny glitch on CC, when you post a thread, it doesn't automatically "watch" the thread for you! You have to go back to your post and then click "Watch this topic for replies" in order to get your notifications.

I can't tell you how many times I've been sad that nobody replied to my thread...til I searched for it in the proper forum and discovered I had multiple responses! icon_redface.gif

wildflower Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 11

same here!!!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%