Busted? Does This Sound Legit????

Business By mamabakes2008 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 12:00am by lisa78332

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:42am
post #61 of 149

Let's at least give her the benefit of the doubt I see she has been a member for almost a month so that was before that thread started.

I am a home baker but I do not advertise. I find that I stay pretty busy with word of mouth business. I will only take a cake order if I know the person ordering or if my family knows them.

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:08am
post #62 of 149

why is it assumed that if a licenced baker turned in a non-licenced baker it's because of "jealousy"?

Maybe it's because the licenced baker thinks the non-licenced baker is a health risk? Or maybe it's because everyone should be on a level playing field and if the non-licenced baker isn't operating with the same cost basis as the licenced one, it's not level?

(or any one of a thousand other reasons why someone might call the HD on a non-licenced competitor)

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:23am
post #63 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianChick

why is it assumed that if a licenced baker turned in a non-licenced baker it's because of "jealousy"?

Maybe it's because the licenced baker thinks the non-licenced baker is a health risk? Or maybe it's because everyone should be on a level playing field and if the non-licenced baker isn't operating with the same cost basis as the licenced one, it's not level?

(or any one of a thousand other reasons why someone might call the HD on a non-licenced competitor)

I see you are new here - welcome to CC! Since you just signed up last week, you may not realize that your questions have been discussed to death. This is a winless topic, much like politics and religion. icon_rolleyes.gif For answers and lots of heated opinions, just search "unlicensed" in the forums and you'll find enough to keep you online for weeks icon_smile.gif. Let's not start it up here AGAIN, please?!

Thanks and I hope you find some more fun threads here on CC, there is tons of wonderful stuff to learn and chat about! thumbs_up.gif

ETA:
summernoelle, have you ever found a good "troll" icon? I can't seem to land one. This is the best I could do Image

Although if you ever just want to go the "orange juice" route, this guy is pretty awesome: Image

Oh, geez, sorry people. All of this animation, and now my post gives me a headache! LOL.

mamabakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:55am
post #64 of 149

Well I am glad that I at least got some honest opinions before this whole thing was turned against me!!!!!!!
I am being honest about this whole situation but once again I guess I am paying for living in this society where people cant believe another person's word.
The whole sweetdeal bakehouse is what I aspire to name my bakery someday-go ahead and google it and nothing will come out!
If anyone else has any more advice, please let me know....it helps ease my mind! If you cant offer advice then yes please leave this post alone, I have enough issues!

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:26am
post #65 of 149

Sounds to me like you just need to stay off craigs list, find out how to become legit and do things the right way! Good luck

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:37am
post #66 of 149

Referring to the "renting a booth...." comment:

Quote:
Quote:

The HD gets a list of the vendors and they check Every. Single. One of Them.

Seriously....I can think of a lot better things they could do with their time. For instance; I'd alot rather they spend time looking into the crappy conditions of most local fast food restaurants, and grocery stores around.

I've been on both sides of the fence, both as a worker and a consumer, and I can tell you that you'd all be just disgusted and likely never to visit those places again if you had seen what I've seen over the years. I know of a couple of places locally that have terrible sanitation habits, and almost always have some of the filthiest restrooms I've ever seen!! Our local Papa Murphy's(the only one near our home), is a prime example of what I am talking about.

We have purchased pizza there often since we moved here, and I can't think of a single time when the work area wasn't just a mess. And I don't mean just a few sprinkled toppings here and there. The manager/owner apparently never checks in on his very young and very oblivious staff. This fall I was in with my daughter to pick up a couple of pizzas and I was so upset at the mess I saw that the mother in me came out. There wasn't a single surface on the work side of the counter that wasn't covered in literally 2 inches of pizza toppings and cheese. Not to mention the same on the floor, that they were walking around in. On top of that, they were not wearing gloves, nor were the two long haired staffers wearing hair nets. The food waste and mess was my big bugaboo though.

Next thing I knew I was chewing them out for being so messy and they should be ashamed of themselves for wasting so much food. I estimated that there was about 3 or four pizza's worth of food spilled around, we mothers can do that you know icon_wink.gif, and I said that if I was their boss I would be firing every one of them for this disgusting mess, seen by all the customers that visit, and for the obvious lack of concern for the waste of expensive food that was wasted. Now alot of the toppings were on the counters, supposedly clean before preparing the pizzas being sold, so you would assume that they could be scooped up and perhaps the employees could use them to make something to take home at the end of work, paying for them of course. Why not, it's good food and it's clean right? I asked them what they do with all that spillage, and they said it gets thrown away. SHAMEFUL!!!

The HD should be spending more time dealing with these kinds of establishments and stop wasting our tax dollars on bothering us!! I would wager to guess that most of us could serve our products right off our kitchen counters, cleanliness wise. Most of the time anyways...unless you have your kids doing the dishes! LOL Just kidding!

I agree with the necessity to have a license in some cases, but there should be some degree of give as well.

As far as that nasty "craigslist police" person goes...I know from my work as a civil admin, there are only a few ways that you can really get all the information on a person, that she claims to have on you, legitimately. There are alot of online sites that say they can, and some can, but most of them are sleazy and most are just a scam. Today with all the identity theft going on, it is going to have to get harder than ever before.

BTW, if you posted on Craigslist to try and drum up business, that was your first mistake. Craigslist is becoming increasingly more dangerous and more fraudulent everyday. It is also becoming the place were more and more criminals are searching for folks that are foolish enough to post personal information for anyone to look at. Including phone numbers. That's why they have that great little "reply to" feature that gives your ad a specific place for potential customers to respond to. That way you can screen who is asking to do business with you, for your safety.

I am a "home baker" too and I only do the "word of mouth" kind of advertising. It's the most safe.

I agree with the others that this person is a nut, and likely a home baker herself that has not done well or had a bad experience of her own.

Don't fret, just delete that ad and move on. You go girl!! icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:48am
post #67 of 149

From the tone of her conversation I think it is some one who is trying to scare off any competition. Good Luck!

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:00pm
post #68 of 149

momkicksbutt:

I managed a pizza shop for 8 years and it is physically impossible during busy times to keep toppings from getting all over the place. Please don't be too hard on them because they have toppings everywhere icon_biggrin.gif I was required to be able to make a large pepperoni pizza from dough ball to in the oven in 45 seconds. Alot of stuff gets flung around in that time icon_lol.gif

To the OP: Almost anyone can get your address online if they have your name so I don't necessarily think this poster knows the other info about you, but I would caution you to be careful. If they are that spiteful they may have called the HD and I do believe that from other posts on here you are not allowed to sell cakes out of your home in GA so you could definitely be in trouble. It's my understanding that they don't have to catch you in the act. If they have an advertisement from you saying you sell cakes and you have cake supplies in your house they can put two and two together. Again, this is just my understanding. I'm licensed so I've never had to worry about it so I can't tell you I'm 100% sure on this.

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #69 of 149

ok so this morning I was contacted by "someone" asking if I had my business licesce to show before ordering. I googled that person's email address and the only thing that came up was a comment she made in response to an ad in our local paper about a women who I guess has a very messy house and the neighbors turned her in or something....in that comment she gave the impression that she is some sort of inspector....I suspect that maybe she was contacted by the original person who emailed me. I had already removed the ad so it was strange that she responded to that ad this morning. This was my response to the email, tell me what you think:

" I am not sure how you accessed that Craigslist ad since I removed it. I apologize but I will not be selling cakes after all since it was brought to my attention that I need a business license and certification. I've only made cakes for family and friends and they suggested that I try to sell them since they liked them so much and since I am a stay at home mom I figured a little extra money here and there would be nice. I am trying to figure who to call to find out how to legitimize this if possible or someday hopefully open a shop and I hope once I figure this all out I will sell my goods! Thanks for contacting me and nicely asking me that question-I had someone contact me claiming to be the health department and saying they had my social security # and birthday and they seemed very angry about this so I figure maybe it was a cake decorator out there and if she contacts me again claiming to have my personal info I will have to call the police, maybe its best if I stay off of craigslist anyhow icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!"

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #70 of 149

oh and some one placed an ad on craigslist "outing" all the cake bakers on there ( I am not the only one doing it) saying that people shouldnt order cakes from home bakers-it didnt name name.....yet

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #71 of 149

sweetdealbakehouse......

I think you should *clip* that response a bit, there's no need to give out all that information.

A simple ...........Hi, thank you for your inquiry. I regret to inform you that I won't be able to fulfill your request since I don't sell baked goods.
Enjoy your day!

As far as the person flagging illegal home bakers on Craig's list.....that person is doing you all a big favor. You should be thanking them since it is against the law to sell unlicensed in most states. Maybe a lot of illegal bakers don't know that, now they will.

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #72 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

sweetdealbakehouse......

I think you should *clip* that response a bit, there's no need to give out all that information.

A simple ...........Hi, thank you for your inquiry. I regret to inform you that I won't be able to fulfill your request since I don't sell baked goods.
Enjoy your day!

As far as the person flagging illegal home bakers on Craig's list.....that person is doing you all a big favor. You should be thanking them since it is against the law to sell unlicensed in most states. Maybe a lot of illegal bakers don't know that, now they will.

The only reason I said all that is in case this person is a friend of the person who wrote me the nasty email-I want to put it out there that I am not scared and that I am ready to contact the police if I get anymore threats! She already contacted me wishing me good luck and saying that people are spiteful yada yada yada. So we will see what happens from there......I am still worried esp bc I am a very obsessive person and generally a goody two shoes so I've always been afraid to "get in trouble"........shouldve known better!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:52pm
post #73 of 149

[QUOTE="dkelly"]sweetdealbakehouse......

Enjoy your day!

I was thinking the same thing...TMI...sweetdealbakehouse, you just basically put all your business out there!

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:55pm
post #74 of 149

[QUOTE="KKC"]

Quote:

sweetdealbakehouse......

Enjoy your day!

I was thinking the same thing...TMI...sweetdealbakehouse, you just basically put all your business out there!

well since I saw that this persons profile on the local newspaper said she worked for the government and she commented on that article saying she did " code enforcement" I figured that she may be HD. Whats done is done....lets see what happens then!

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #75 of 149

[QUOTE="sweetdealbakehouse"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Quote:

sweetdealbakehouse......

Enjoy your day!

well since I saw that this persons profile on the local newspaper said she worked for the government and she commented on that article saying she did " code enforcement" I figured that she may be HD. Whats done is done....lets see what happens then!

anyone know what HD will do if they do show up? will having decorating supplies really be incriminating...I dont have that much stuff and as I said I only have as much baking supplies (flour etc ) as any housewife would. Will they do a "search"?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #76 of 149

You haven't SOLD anything yet right?? I wouldn't even let them in my house!! I'd tell them I don't sell, and have NEVER sold any cakes and that you don't know what they're talking about. I mean if you haven't sold anything, then you haven't done anything wrong. The intention to sell baked goods and having actually made a transfer of money for goods is 2 VERY different things!
Personally, I wouldn't let them in......just for the principle of it.
Same as if cops showed up at my door wanting to search for drugs......no way!! I don't sell em' and you're NOT coming in!
I wouldn't worry too much, you took down your ad and you've not sold anything....don't worry!

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:08pm
post #77 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

You haven't SOLD anything yet right?? I wouldn't even let them in my house!! I'd tell them I don't sell, and have NEVER sold any cakes and that you don't know what they're talking about. I mean if you haven't sold anything, then you haven't done anything wrong. The intention to sell baked goods and having actually made a transfer of money for goods is 2 VERY different things!
Personally, I wouldn't let them in......just for the principle of it.
Same as if cops showed up at my door wanting to search for drugs......no way!! I don't sell em' and you're NOT coming in!
I wouldn't worry too much, you took down your ad and you've not sold anything....don't worry!

nope I've never made a sale!

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm
post #78 of 149

Dh worried me even more last night-he said not to let anyone in if they do show up bc you never know if its really the health departmant etc so now he has me paranoid about that too. geez!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #79 of 149

It is illegal to bake from your home in GA.

It doesn't matter what supplies you have in your kitchen. If the HD saw your listing to sell goods from your home then I don't know what they'll do.

I can't believe you responded to that email that way! You should have never even responded icon_rolleyes.gif

eta: When I said I don't know what they'll do, I just mean, since they can't technically shut you down 'cause it's not legal anyway, I don't see how they could do anything.

I also just saw where you said that you've never sold anything - so you should be fine.

Be more careful next time!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:29pm
post #80 of 149

Absolutely don't let anyone in your house. Unless they show up with the police and a search warrant, you do NOT have to let them in.

I really don't think that will happen anyway, so try not to worry about it.

Just be sure you take all "cake" information off the net.....i.e. facebook if you have an acct there too.

Lesson learned, unless you know the person do NOT take any inquiries from a *friend of a friend*, it's not worth the risk or the few dollars you may make.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #81 of 149

OK, to the OP, I just want to tell you what happened over the weekend and you can decide if this is you or not. It's possible that watchyourback was a troll and not you, and that the thread was actually about you, so you should be informed if it was.

A CC member posted something on here that there was a baker (who is a SAHM with two kids) who started advertising on Craig's List in her very competitive town. She was emailing this person and asking if they were legal. in an email response back, the "illegal" said that she had a food licenses and did not consider herself to be illegal and basically gave the OP a bit of a brush off. This really made the OP mad and she couldn't believe she couldn't get a straight answer from this girl about whether or not she was legal, and was going to turn her in. She had wanted her to admit she didn't have a licenses and was mad that she was continuing to operate after being confronted.
So, then, drama drama drama. Lots of discussion about whether or not that was wrong or not. Lots of people said do it, lots said don't, and she was going back and forth. Said it wasn't fair for the woman to stay home with her two kids while making cakes when she was doing things the "right" way.
Towards the end, someone joined, named watchyourback and told the OP that her cakes weren't that great and that she was sticking her nose where it didn't belong (paraphrasing.)
The OP got all upset about threatening, and called watchyourback "Jessica". Said "Jessica, I am printing this out for proof. Even using the name watchyourback is threatening to me." Then the two of them went back and forth about threatening and lawyer friends and judge husbands and then the thread got shut down.

So, you decide if this is you or not. Sure sounds like it could be. What are the chances you have the same names and have been getting emails with someone upset about CL cake listings?

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #82 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

OK, to the OP, I just want to tell you what happened over the weekend and you can decide if this is you or not. It's possible that watchyourback was a troll and not you, and that the thread was actually about you, so you should be informed if it was.

A CC member posted something on here that there was a baker (who is a SAHM with two kids) who started advertising on Craig's List in her very competitive town. She was emailing this person and asking if they were legal. in an email response back, the "illegal" said that she had a food licenses and did not consider herself to be illegal and basically gave the OP a bit of a brush off. This really made the OP mad and she couldn't believe she couldn't get a straight answer from this girl about whether or not she was legal, and was going to turn her in. She had wanted her to admit she didn't have a licenses and was mad that she was continuing to operate after being confronted.
So, then, drama drama drama. Lots of discussion about whether or not that was wrong or not. Lots of people said do it, lots said don't, and she was going back and forth. Said it wasn't fair for the woman to stay home with her two kids while making cakes when she was doing things the "right" way.
Towards the end, someone joined, named watchyourback and told the OP that her cakes weren't that great and that she was sticking her nose where it didn't belong (paraphrasing.)
The OP got all upset about threatening, and called watchyourback "Jessica". Said "Jessica, I am printing this out for proof. Even using the name watchyourback is threatening to me." Then the two of them went back and forth about threatening and lawyer friends and judge husbands and then the thread got shut down.

So, you decide if this is you or not. Sure sounds like it could be. What are the chances you have the same names and have been getting emails with someone upset about CL cake listings?

Ok well I can tell you that is definately not me-take it or leave it....first off how many people use this site? Thousands I am sure...second how many people are named Jessica? The year I was born it was the most popular name and america and continues to be very popular. Third I do not have 2 kids, I have one young child. I have posted the events that have happened to me as they have happened-nothing more, nothing less and I genuinely want advice. I have had no such exchanges like the ones that you listed with anyone at all. Not trying to be rude but I didnt appreciate being called a troll esp since what I've posted really is happening to me and I am genuinly concerned. With all do respect, I repeat-take it or leave it.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #83 of 149

Gaaaah!
That was not what I was saying. If you read my 1st statement, I was saying it was possible that someone over the weekend just wanted to stir the pot and pretended to be the person who was being spoken about. I was simply trying to make sure that the thread wasn't actually you who was being spoken about in that thread because if it was, you should be aware of it.

Sorry for trying to be helpful. Good luck. I am so done with this thread. icon_sad.gif

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #84 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Gaaaah!
That was not what I was saying. If you read my 1st statement, I was saying it was possible that someone over the weekend just wanted to stir the pot and pretended to be the person who was being spoken about. I was simply trying to make sure that the thread wasn't actually you who was being spoken about in that thread because if it was, you should be aware of it.

Sorry for trying to be helpful. Good luck. I am so done with this thread. icon_sad.gif

I'm sorry, its so difficult to understand what people mean on the internet bc you cant "read" tone and everyone is so suspicious of everyone! Please forgive me if I misunderstood.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #85 of 149

I really, truly mean this in a nice polite way...

If you are not legal, why would you advertise anywhere?! Even if you are not sure if you are legal (?) why would you advertise? It amazes me. JMO

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #86 of 149

Just don't answer the door for anyone you don't know. That's common sense. Don't make cakes or take orders, either, and it will eventually go away.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #87 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

It is illegal to bake from your home in GA.

So are u saying that she cannot bake at all icon_confused.gif Like if she has a sweet tooth and she bakes herself some brownies she can't do that because it's illegal and she may get busted?? I'm hoping u meant that she cannot sell baked goods from her home, which i'm sure she understands now!

mamabakes2008 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #88 of 149

Ok so I've begun the process of trying to see if I can legally sell baked goods from home...started w the Dept of Agriculture then called the health department and whether or not you can have a commercial kitchen in your house depends on zoning so I guess thats where I need to start. I still have a lot to find out but I've started the process to see if its even possible.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #89 of 149

I just have to chime in here. I also believe the other thread(summernoelle referred to) was similar to this thread. BUT, I do believe jessica is being honest about it. I would hate to come on here looking for legit advise, and people assume I am someone that I am not.

I have to say, I live close to GA. So when I pull up surrounding ads on craigslist, I do get some of those in GA. I cannot tell you how many people are on there(in GA) advertising cakes. It's crazy..There is even a recent post warning about home bakers(which made me think of the other thread)
Saying that home bakers are not licensed, you don't know their house conditions...bakery's make everything home made. It's ridiculous.
Honestly, we don't know the conditions of her(the bakery) back kitchen. I am not licensed, but I am not doing it illegally, either. I have gotten the ok from the local HD to do it from home.

I guess I am just sick of all the petty bull$h*t. There will always be illegals, and legals. Leave the drama for your mama.Worry about your own work, not everyone else.

To the OP...please don't listen to that other lady harrassing you. That is illegal, and if she continues, I would def call the cops. As PP said, don't let anyone in your house, you haven't done anything wrong. I am so sorry you have had to deal with this crazy nut, and I wish you the best of luck!!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm
post #90 of 149

are we getting punked again?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%