Busted? Does This Sound Legit????

Business By mamabakes2008 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 12:00am by lisa78332

mamabakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabakes2008 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 149

Ok so I decided recently to branch out to selling my cakes from home not thinking it was much of a big deal and I was stupid and posted on craigslist (wish I would have read this forum better first)...and I received an email from someone "wanting cupcakes". She refused to let me deliver and she started asking a lot of questions like where did I live and was I licensed etc. Well I never responded and here is what she wrote me:

"Obviously you refuse to answer my questions because you are operating a none licensed business and your kitchen has not been commercially approved. I also see that you continue to advertise on craigslist. Nevermind about giving me your address as I have initiated an investigation and have your address (3 xxxxxxxxxCt.). I will turn this information over to one of my supervisors who will pay you an unexpected visit very soon Ms. Jessica xxxx. Your social security number and date of birth will be forwarded to the IRS stating that you are running a business."
Should I be worried? She sounds so vengeful, like she takes it personal, would someone at the health dept care that much. I realize that I was wrong and if they show up I will pay the consequences but please tell me if you think this is for real!!!

148 replies
dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 149

Does she have the information correct - Name, address etc.... If so, I would say its very possible that it is legit.Good Luck.
Tracy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 149

I would definitely stop advertising asap.

When she says she will "turn this over to one of her supervisors", she is leading you to believe she works for the HD. However, the overall tone of this email doesn't sound like the work of a HD. I know one or two people who have been busted and the HD just showed up at their door.

Yes, someone at the HD would care if you were running an unlicensed food biz, but this doesn't sound like their method of operation.

Regardless, I'd be very careful.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 149

How in heck does she know your social security no. and date of birth?! It sounds to me like some pissy-pants baker who sees you as a real threat and wants to scare you off. My heart goes out to you and I hope this is just a hoax, but as Indy says, tread very carefully right now.

mamabakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabakes2008 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

How in heck does she know your social security no. and date of birth?! It sounds to me like some pissy-pants baker who sees you as a real threat and wants to scare you off. My heart goes out to you and I hope this is just a hoax, but as Indy says, tread very carefully right now.

Let me just add that I've never actually sold any cakes or baked goods as of yet and if they showed up right now they would not find anything incriminating except for a regular household amount of baking goods and my decorating supplies. Its not worth it to me so I will look into becoming legit but my point is that the tone of the email is so angry that it seems crazy. I dont know if she is fibbing about the SS# and bday but I would imagine that finding my address on the internet is not too too hard. I dont deliberately post it but I am an Avon rep w a website so who knows......

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 149

I agree iwth IndyDebi - the HD would just show up.

Weird. I would stop advertising & everything until you are all legal.

And I wouldn't respond to her anymore. And delete your Craigslist thing if you can too.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 149

I know that several years ago I was able to dig up SSN's addresses, and an unbelievable amount of information on someone through an ancestry site. This was before the days of terrorism and all, so it may not be that way now.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about the lady, she sounds like she just has too much time on her hands, or might be a competitor trying to stir up trouble.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 149

She also might be another home baker who got caught and is trying to scare you too. However, you shouldn't advertise if you're not legal.

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 149

I'd say it doesn't sound legit at all.

If you have your name on Craig's all she would have to do is a search to find your address.
She sounds very upset (which is not what someone would do with the HD) and I might even send a reply nicely explaining that you don't give out any information- especially to people whom you don't want to take as clients.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 149

Ummmm...this sounds suspiciously like the "other side" of the post from the gal who wrote just a few days ago asking whether or not she should turn someone in that she found on Craigslist and she said was not legal. Remember, the Craigslist gal had a Food Manager's license or something and said that's all her state required??? icon_eek.gif

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Ummmm...this sounds suspiciously like the "other side" of the post from the gal who wrote just a few days ago asking whether or not she should turn someone in that she found on Craigslist and she said was not legal. Remember, the Craigslist gal had a Food Manager's license or something and said that's all her state required??? icon_eek.gif

yup. what she said.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 149
Quote:

Ooooo, yes it does!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 149
Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking. Sugaredup even used the name Jessica when she referred to the home baker from CL. Wow.

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #14 of 149

Hmm...interesting...very interesting... detective.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #15 of 149

I thought the same thing..it does sound like the other side of that story. Wouldn't that be NUTS?

I don't know how she would get your ssn, or why she would need it if she IS with the HD. I agree that it's probably just another home baker, or legal baker stirring up trouble. But please find out the laws on home baking for your state. I know where I am it's acceptable as long as you don't sell wholesale.

Good luck!!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #16 of 149
Quote:

Funny, I thought the same exact thing. detective.gif

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:42pm
post #17 of 149
Quote:

Quote:

Ooooo, yes it does!

That's what I was thinking also.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 149

Ooh, I was reading that one, but no I can't find it. Does anyone have the thread?

jewelykaye Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #19 of 149

It "magically" disappeared last night.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #20 of 149

was she trying to feel out the competition? decided to get nasty about it? i agree maybe just slow things down until you've got things sorted out and can do it legally-wel, gl icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #21 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

I believe things degenerated into the usual nasty slinging match between licensed v non-licensed, so it was removed by the moderators.

jewelykaye Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #22 of 149
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

I believe things degenerated into the usual nasty slinging match between licensed v non-licensed, so it was removed by the moderators.

Ah, I guess I missed the nastiness. Sad that it has to get to that.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #23 of 149

I think the nastiest was more the OP and the person she was going after threatening each other legally. One said ALL her friends were lawyers and the other said her DH was a judge.

jewelykaye Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #24 of 149

To the OP I would also suggest to lay low. It sounds to me that this person is NOT from the HD. But they could turn you in and that would not be fun.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #25 of 149

Yea, sounds like another baker to me.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #26 of 149

Sounds like she's just sacring you. Don't worry but really you shouldn't advertise if your home based because that's when the hD shows up. Atleast that's what a professional baker told me. And everyones right they won't call you instead they'll just come knockin.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #27 of 149

If she was with the HD she would not be sending snide replies.

She would have silently passed you on to her supervisor and they HD would have showed up with out letting you know anything more.

My thinking they might be coming means you have time to clean up and pack it all up.

The HD's like to catch you in the middle of your every day routing. If you are running a business that means part of your every day routine will mean cakes baking while other cakes cool, and you in various processes of decorating yet more cakes.

If you are not running a business then you have no need to worry.

If they have a copy of your craig's list posting in hand you can let them know "I have since found out I can't do that and I must have a legal home kitchen. How can I become legal?" They will tell you if you can and what you will need to do if it's possible.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #28 of 149

Someone is trying to intimidate and harass you, obviously. Using scare tactics is pretty petty. I would hang on to that email and turn the tables around on them if they continue this harassment. I think that is against the law too. In fact I think there have been specific laws passed recently regarding internet and email harassment. I just have a real hard time believing that the HD is out to get you as a home baker. Where I live there are guys selling tomales on the street and have been for years. I think these guys have bigger and better things to do than shut down the little cake ladies in the neighborhood. Just not buying it. Probably the reason she is harassing you is that she tried to report you and they just blew her off.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #29 of 149

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:40pm
post #30 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdelapaz

I just have a real hard time believing that the HD is out to get you as a home baker. ..... I think these guys have bigger and better things to do than shut down the little cake ladies in the neighborhood. Just not buying it.

I wouldn't bet the family farm on that logic. My health inspector(s) have told me how they've gone to the homes to shut down the cake ladies, as a result of unlicensed bakers getting a booth at the bridal shows. The HD gets a list of the vendors and they check Every. Single. One of Them.

I say if you're dumb enough to pay over $2000 for booth space at the largest show in this city, and you're not licensed, then you deserve to be busted and shut down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%