I Need Some Advise Please!

Decorating By CristyInMiami Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 7:02am by CristyInMiami

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 19

I have a repeat customer who hasn't been a very good customer.

SHe usually orders small things under $50 so I don't ask her for a deposit.

The first time she ordered a Christmas bouquet and never picked it up. She emailed me a few days later that her mom was in the hospital and it slipped her mind. It wasn't lost because I took it to my families house for the holidays. icon_cry.gificon_confused.gif

THe 2nd time she oredered cupcakes and she was suppose to pick them up Friday and didn't show. I called her and she said she would stop by Saturday. She did but SUPER late!!!! icon_mad.gif

And now, she ordered cupcakes to be picked up Saturday and nothing. So AGAIN I called and she said Sunday between 9-11 am. Well its 3 and nothing! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif

How can I politely tell her that I can no longer take any orders from her? thumbsdown.gif

Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

18 replies
clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 19

IMO, some people are just more trouble than they're worth. Sounds like she's basically inconsiderate and is probably the same in every area of her life. I'd just be too busy the next time she tried order...and the next...and the next...and hopefully she'll give up soon. You could try to just give her a window like you did today and if she doesn't show just leave - but she was over 4 hours late today and it sounds like that's the norm for her so you'd have to be prepared to just be gone the rest of the day if you tried to make your point that way. I'd just politely not take her orders.

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 19

Explain to her that your time is valuable and this is a business for you, not just a hobby. The next time she asks for something, get 50% deposit and set up a delivery time. This way you can drop it off to her at a set time and if she isn't home, you have at least covered the cost of your creation and you can have your cake and eat it too!

Either that or tell her you have too many orders at the time and just move on.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 19

If you are operating from home, the next time she orders, you could say, "well, I know that your life is pretty hecktic, but I'm super busy, so if you aren't here between this time and this time, then I can leave it out for you on the front step, but I have to warn you, the neighbor's dog tends to visit our yard. I don't know if he likes cake or not..." Just a thought.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 19

i would try to politely say that because of past issues you would require payment up front (cash) and that the pick up time is between 12-3pm and if it is not collected at that time it will be donated to a church or kids centre in your community (bet that would only happen once-either that or she'll go elsewhere)

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 19

Or tell her you have to have payment in full in advance.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 19

I would tell her exactly how you feel and plan on doing. What she doesn't realize is that you are busy and running a business and can't wait on orders that don't get picked up as planned. Just be honest, honesty is one of the keys to success.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 19

I'd not worry about being *polite* at this point. I'd be very business like and tell her you've held up your end and she has failed 3 times to hold hers up. You've got money and time invested and unless she is willing to pay in full at time of order you can no longer set aside time and supplies to bake and create for her.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #9 of 19

I agree with previous posters that honesty is key-and so is getting paid up front. I would just explain because of previous no shows, she will no be required to pay inadvance, and if it's not too difficult, you should probably deliver. Just tell her if she's not there you'll be leaving it on the front steps! icon_razz.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #10 of 19

i have to say, you did what you were suppose to do. she didn,t.. don,t do anything else for her.. i,ve worked with the public 42 years.. beautician and cakes .. she will never do any better.. you don,t owe her any explanations.. just be too busy when she calls.. she will stop calling.. you will be a happier cake decorator.. hth

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #11 of 19

Wow, I'm flabbergasted! Very inconsiderate.
I'm with the advice I've seen here... be honest and upfront and take full payment in advance.
hee hee... The cake on the porch adn the neighbour's dog though... I'd actually love to hear if someone has tried that and if it worked. icon_lol.gif

CristyInMiami Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #12 of 19

Thanks everyone. I was actually very bitter about it. Luckily I went over some family's house and just took them over there.

I know this girl will defintely be ordering again. In her eyes she hasn't done anything wrong. I wil definitely be asking for full payment upfront which I'm sure she's not going to want to do. THerefore she will not be ordering.

I had someone wait for her from 10-6 yesterday! Luckily it was my hubby so its not like I had to pay them or anything!! thumbs_up.gif

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:01pm
post #13 of 19

Why are you concerned about being polite? She's less than polite with you. Cash in advance from now on or no cakes! No need for lengthly explaination, just be business like and stand your ground.

CristyInMiami Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyD333

Why are you concerned about being polite? She's less than polite with you. Cash in advance from now on or no cakes! No need for lengthly explaination, just be business like and stand your ground.

I know, I know. My family is giving me a hard time about it too. I think the reason that I am a bit apprehensive about not being polite is that I have a couple of other friends of hers that are GREAT customers and I'm afraid that maybe she stretches the truth and by strethches I mean lies and makes me look like tha bad guy and I lose some good people beause of her.

Do you guys think I should ask her to pay the order she didn't pick up and see if she does? Or is that pushing it?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 19

If you don't want her business, which I would not, I would just tell her you are busy when she calls again. If you really need the business, tell her she needs to pay in full ahead (new policy) and if the cake is not picked up at the agreed time, you will not wait for her Be firm it's your business.

Jen icon_smile.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #16 of 19

I find people are less likely to not pick up something they have paid for. You should tell her you now require payment up front for orders under $50 and at least 50% for orders over $50. Sometimes you can "fix" problem customers.

I recently had an issue with a frequent client who always runs a little late with paying deposit and pick-ups.

This time, she had not paid her deposit as of the day before it was due. There was alot of drama with the situation (I had waited on her until 5:30 and then went out to dinner with my DH and kids - she stuffed the deposit under my door while we were gone.) I did do the cake but only for the sake of the 4yo involved. I found out later that my DH had told her before we went to dinner that she would not be getting the cake.

She ordered an Easter cake at the beginning of last week. I was hesitent but she has ordered alot of cakes from me so I thought I'd give her one last chance. Well, she paid the deposit within 20 minutes of ordering her cake. And arrived an hour early to pick up her cake.

Just be firm and always get at least enough money to cover your supplies up front.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

leave it out for you on the front step, but I have to warn you, the neighbor's dog tends to visit our yard. I don't know if he likes cake or not..." Just a thought.

Ok I would not leave anything sitting out by doing this you are opening a big can of worms here! She is already inconvenient to deal with, simply refuse to do business with her, tell her you are completely booked. If she insists tell her you now have a new policy and ask for half of the money down. If someone did that to me it would make me furious! I'm glad your food didn't go to waste.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nanette

Or tell her you have to have payment in full in advance.

This is what I would do, this way even if she forgets you don't lose out. But if she is a difficult customer then this could lead to a very angry customer if she "forgets" and the cake is no longer as fresh but she has already paid.

CristyInMiami Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:02am
post #19 of 19

Its not even so much that she's a difficult customer. She is just a HUGE airhead!! You know how you can look at someone and know? Well she is really immature for her age.

To top off being an airhead she is also very irresponsible. LIFE is one big party for her! A cake-less party that is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%