Sugar Plate

Sugar Work By saberger Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm by kincaellan

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 9

I want to make a big round 'plate' or circle, to be exact, using poured sugar. I have seen a couple of recipes for it, but don't know how to do it. What materials do I need beside the sugar and silpat?

And how strong will it be? I believe that I would use isomalt to make it stronger, is that correct? I am thinking of it being anywhere between 8 or 12 " diameter.

Thanks

8 replies
saberger Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 9

anyone?!

ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 9

I have no clue, but I sure hope you post pics when you are finished...sugar work amazes me...

icon_smile.gif

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 9

Couldn't you use a ring mold and pour the sugar in there to cool?

Are you talking literal plate shape and indents or just a large round disk?

saberger Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 9

just a large round disc would be good. And do you know if I should use isomalt to make it stronger?

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 9

It's not about strength regarding the Isomalt. Sugar and isomalt both have benefits and drawbacks. What are you using it for, this will decide what you use. If it's for a display that's going to sit out then use Isomalt. If it's for a one of use that won't last more then a day or two then use sugar. If you live somewhere where the humidity is above 35% use Isomalt.

Use a metal cake ring, rub light mineral oil inside it to stop the sugar from sticking, and either put it on a silpat or tinfoil and pour your sugar or isomalt into it. You should wait a few seconds after heating the sugar before casting so the edges of your cast object have a nice bevel to them.

If you want a real plate shape you can heat this disk up with a blow dryer on a hot setting and then shape it over the base of real plate. Make sure if you do this you keep the sugar moving or oil the plate so it doesn't stick.

I hope that helps, I have to get back to making sugar bubbles, wedding season is here!!!

www.kincaellan.com

saberger Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you SO much for the info. I did try it with a ring and Susan Notter's boiling sugar recipe. It stuck to the ring and is just sticky in general. I didn't know to rub the ring with oil....mineral oil? where do I get that? Is it sticky because of the humidity? What about using the recipes with corn syrup in it...what is the benefit to doing that?

I was excited at trying to pull it...boy was it HOT, but it was interesting and I would LOVE to do blown sugar as well. But first things first, I guess.

Last question, how do I store it if I am not going to use it for a week and have no way to make it closer to the date needed?

saberger Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 9

Sorry, I forgot one other thing.....what bout using venuance pearls? Are these any easier or have added benefit?

TIA

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 9

Sticky usually means humidity or a bad recipe. You can buy mineral oil at any chemist or pharmacy. Ask for the light mineral oil that can be eaten. Corn syrup is the same as glucose, it prevents crystallization and makes the sugar more malleable. It also makes it stickier and hotter to work with. Store it in a ziplock bag and if you use it in a week or so that is enough. If you are going to wait longer you need to put a de-humidifying agent in with it. Venuance and Isomalt are the same thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%