What To Do - Red Velvet Cake With Buttercream?

Baking By ladeebug Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm by BeeBoos-8599_

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 18

My daughter asked me to make a cake for her friend and he loves red velvet. Since the cake won't be refrigerated, I'll have to use butter cream, right? Does anyone know of a cream cheese frosting that can sit out or how to flavor a butter cream to resemble cream cheese frosting?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 18

there is cream cheese flavored oils available.

ladeebug Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks Indydebi. I searched the internet and I cannot locate cream cheese flavored oil. Do you have a brand name? Thanks so much!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 18

don't know about cream cheese flavor (am anxious to hear indydebi's reply! icon_smile.gif but Lorann makes a cheesecake flavor...that might work???

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 18

There are shelf stable cc icing recipes... Earlene Moore has a recipe on her site

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

I can't vouch for the taste as I have never made it, but it would work. icon_smile.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 18

The last RV cake I made I used buttercream icing b/c it wouldn't be refrigerated. It tasted just fine. Of course cc icing would be better, but it certainly didn't taste bad.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

don't know about cream cheese flavor (am anxious to hear indydebi's reply! icon_smile.gif but Lorann makes a cheesecake flavor...that might work???

this is the one that was highly recommended.

ladeebug Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks all. I just ordered the cheesecake flavored oil for Lorann's.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

There are shelf stable cc icing recipes... Earlene Moore has a recipe on her site

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

I can't vouch for the taste as I have never made it, but it would work. icon_smile.gif

How is butavan different from vanilla? Could you just use vanilla in this recipe and it be the same?

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 18

I have a wonderfull Cream Cheese Buttercream recipe given to me by a great friend. It is my basic Buttercream recipe now. I have put it on every kind of cake imaginable including the wedding cake in my photos and it stands up VERY well. I think you will love it. I never worry about it being left out for a day.

1 C Butter
1 C Crisco
16 oz softened Cream Cheese
10 C Powdered Sugar
1 T Vanilla
1/2 t Salt

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I have a wonderfull Cream Cheese Buttercream recipe given to me by a great friend. It is my basic Buttercream recipe now. I have put it on every kind of cake imaginable including the wedding cake in my photos and it stands up VERY well. I think you will love it. I never worry about it being left out for a day.

1 C Butter
1 C Crisco
16 oz softened Cream Cheese
10 C Powdered Sugar
1 T Vanilla
1/2 t Salt

Would this crust?

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:10am
post #12 of 18

It is not what I would call a high crusting BC but yes it crusts up enough to smooth etc. I just vary my amount of ps or shortening depending on what I want it to do.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:18am
post #13 of 18

BeeBoos-8589_...could you add a little meringue powder to this to help it crust? TIA!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #14 of 18

I've used the cheesecake loran - its really good. It doesn't taste like cream cheese icing, but it does add a nice flavor to buttercream and will go really well with RV

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #15 of 18

How about doing a white chocolate BC? I remember seeing a post once about someone who made a RV cake with white chocolate icing, and thinking that sounded yummy!

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:01am
post #16 of 18

I used the "Decorator Cream Cheese Icing" recipe here on the site. If I knew how to link it, I would. I left that out for a couple of days and it was perfectly fine. It is basically a buttercream icing with a pack of cream cheese added. It does crust pretty well and it tastes excellent. And I don't even like cream cheese. I live in the south so I would never dream of serving a red velvet cake with buttercream icing. icon_lol.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:49am
post #17 of 18
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #18 of 18

Sassy,
I have never added meringue powder to it because I really love it just as it is. I have only varried my ps or shortening when I wanted to change the consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%