What Have You Used?!

Decorating By saberger Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm by CakesByLJ

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 5

After watching so many cake shows and challenges, I am really noticing all of the different 'support' systems they use....copper piping, pvc, etc. My question is:

What materials are safe to use for building the cake stands and stuff? Where does someone learn how to do that? Do I have to take a metal shop class now too?! icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif I am certainly no Duff, but I could do something! I just don't know what is considered ok to use.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains......again. icon_redface.gif

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

I think anything that is being used for your water pipes is fine to build a stand/support system out of.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

After watching so many cake shows and challenges, I am really noticing all of the different 'support' systems they use....copper piping, pvc, etc. My question is:

What materials are safe to use for building the cake stands and stuff? Where does someone learn how to do that? Do I have to take a metal shop class now too?! icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif I am certainly no Duff, but I could do something! I just don't know what is considered ok to use.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains......again. icon_redface.gif

Well, Bronwen Weber is the best and she is teaching classes on sculpting/advanced sculpting in SC next month.. I am registered and so excited I could wet my pants... icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif check it out:
http://www.scices.org/events.htm

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 5

I WISH I could go to the class, but there is NO way. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Anything used for water pipes inc. bolts and screws and all that?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, it looks like we are going to do a complete 3-D figure with the pvc pipes... I am really looking forward to it.... icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%