Cupcake Topping

Decorating By jouj Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 10:32am by sweetjan

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:55am
post #1 of 17

Hi, a customer sent me this picture to make similar cupcakes for her order, I was wondering what the topping is made of. Is it ganache, or poured fondant, or just rolled fondant brushed with something to make it shiny.

Thanks.
Joumana
LL
LL

16 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:03am
post #2 of 17

id go for just fondant. maybe shined up with crisco, steam, or confectioners glaze.
xx

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:15am
post #3 of 17

i have the 'hello cupcake book' & they show this look being achieved by melting canned frosting (i'd guess chocolate w/added black coloring) & then dipping the cuppie in it...

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:39am
post #4 of 17

cute cupcake,i'll love to know how its done

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:59am
post #5 of 17

Yeah, let us know because it's too cute!!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 17

This cupcake is made by Kelly Cope, Cork Ireland and from memory I am sure it is fondant

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftyconfections/2912221126/in/set-72157606110236573/

She does a lovely red version as well

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftyconfections/3353678611/

and here is an 'autopsy' 0f the cake - showing the IMBC and fondant layers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftyconfections/3353680689/in/photostream/

We have a product here in Australia called Cristaline which is like a piping gel that is used to get this shiny finish

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 17

Here is a recipe for edible varnish that might work.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7292-Edible-Varnish.html

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks Pam! icon_biggrin.gif

That is my cupcake, and I got the shine on it by painting the sugarpaste (rolled fondant) with confectioners glaze. That picture shows the first one of those cakes that I did, just as a trial. I have made these several times since, in various versions, and no longer bother with varnishing them, I don't think it is necessary, and they still look just as effective!

jouj Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly75

Thanks Pam! icon_biggrin.gif

That is my cupcake, and I got the shine on it by painting the sugarpaste (rolled fondant) with confectioners glaze. That picture shows the first one of those cakes that I did, just as a trial. I have made these several times since, in various versions, and no longer bother with varnishing them, I don't think it is necessary, and they still look just as effective!

Kelly75, I hope you wouldn't mind me copying your cute cupcakes, I had no idea they were yours, the customer send them to me.
Do you mind telling me how you made the sugarpaste so close to the cupcake paper?
What's confectioner glaze? can I use piping gel instead?

Thanks a lot.

kelly75 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 17

I don't mind at all!
It's just a matter of cutting a circle of fondant to the right size (trial and error with circle cutters!), placing it over the cupcake (I put buttecream on my cupcake first, then lay the fondant circle on top), then use the plam of your hand to smooth into place without stretching and distorting it.

jouj Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks Kelley. Do you think I can try Piping Gel for the shine?

kelly75 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouj

Thanks Kelley. Do you think I can try Piping Gel for the shine?

You could try, but I'd imagine it would make the cupcake very stciky and unpleasant - not to mention messy! - to eat!

Confectioners glaze is an edible varnish, though I just did a quick search and it appears that it's not classed as edible in the US! http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=2&ShopId=39&CatId=593&SubCatId=778&productId=617859

jouj Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:16am
post #13 of 17

Thanks a lot for your help. I can't get the glaze where I live anyway. I will just do a trial with piping gel, and with brushing with water to see. I might try black poured fondant too.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:22am
post #14 of 17

When I need to get a shine on my fondant I mix some blk coloring with a little bit of vodka.. make a little paint .. so to speak ... then just use a small brush and paint it on. I just did Minnie Mouse ears and the gumpaste faded so I did the mix and painted and let it dry. You get a great shine. The ears are in my pics if you want to see

HTH,

Kim

jouj Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:26am
post #15 of 17

Thanks a lot Kim, I saw your cake, the ears shine doesn't show well in the picture, but the shoes were perfect. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:30am
post #16 of 17

oopsie... way the pic took.. but they did... lol!!

and I only used like an ounce of vodka with the blk coloring... don't need to much...

Good luck!!

Kim

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:32am
post #17 of 17

Let us know what you did and how it turned out! This is a very educational thread!! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%