Does Anyone Limit The Size/type Of Cake They Make?

Decorating By sandygirl Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm by JenniferMI

sandygirl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:35am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, I have been on CC alot lately, but not posted much here. Usually I am on here for a quick peak because it never fails that my 5 month old wakes up as soon as I pull up the website.

This weekend I did a large wedding cake and grooms cake. This is the first one (sold cakes) since my 5 month old was born. That being said I am considering setting a maximum number of servings that I can do. I am a home baker and work full-time. Doing this large of a cake took me a whole week of evenings to do - bake and freeze, make icings, wrap boards, fondant work, etc.

My question is does anyone else out there limit the size cake they do or the type cake they do? I don't want to say I'm not doing cakes at all, I need to get my "cake fix" every now and then.

8 replies
Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 9

I have to limit the amount, but not size...if its a huge order, I just make sure I don't accept too many other orders that same week.

When I got licensed, I did end up buying an extra freezer though, and two "cake refrigerators" and that helps alot as far as storing several cakes away from kids and safely until pickup.

sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:51am
post #3 of 9

No, I don't limit the servings, just the number of orders in a week. I have some health issues, and I'm quite anemic right now, so I don't have the energy to get things done quickly. I really just plan and work ahead, and get little bits done at a time, which sounds like the baby's schedule right now!

Like -make up my boards, make or buy flowers for the cake, get BC made, shop on Monday at the latest, etc. That puts my mind at ease and then I just have to do the last minute fresh stuff.

When I worked at a small bakery, I liked their schedule, and I'm trying to do the same. They would shop Mon, plan and make gp items and a huge batch of frosting on Tues, bake everything on Wed, torte, fill, crumb coat, and final bc coat Thurs, decorate Friday, customer pickup or wedding on Saturday. I never felt pressure there, but then, I wasn't my own boss either!

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 9

My cut off depends on the catering schedule I've got. But since I started my cake decorating during the 70's-80's and "grew up" with the big, tall, monster cakes that towered over receptions, I LUV big cakes!!! My dream cake would be a cake that serves 1000 .... not because of the money, but because I want to make a cake that big!!!

Momof4luvscakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #5 of 9

I wish I would limit myself. I had 10 this weekend. Quite a busy few days. I also cater and that is starting to take most of my time. The way I look at it is, I might as well do them while they are coming in, cause they might not come in next week. I went from one cake order on Monday all the way to 10 by the end of the week.

Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #6 of 9

WOW! I can't do that many cakes in a week....I don't know how you do it!

jewelykaye Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:43am
post #7 of 9

I don't do wedding cakes. I'm a SAHM and am not able to transport the cake and my daughter around. So I limit my cakes to special occasions maybe three tiers but pick ups only. I also only do 1-2 cakes per week.

sandygirl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the replys. From the first class I took, I was hooked on cake and haven't turned down the chance to do a single cake in the past year and a half. I think I am going to definately limit orders to one per week. Also I think that I am not going to do any wedding cakes for a while. I love weddings and hate to think that my rushing through a cake causes a bride to not be completely happy on her big day. (but bring on the birthday, anniversary and "just because" cakes.)

I really appreciate the advice.

JenniferMI Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 9

I have a 100 person minimum servings on wedding cakes.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%