Cake Carving...

Decorating By Missy21 Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm by pipe-dreams

Missy21 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #1 of 14

Hello there! I have been asked to make a bridal shower cake for a girlfriend of mine, and think that I am going to do a small cake, and a cupcake tower. The cake I'm planning will be shaped like a corset, and resemble the bodice of her dress. I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good cake recipe, that will work well for carving. This will be my first carved cake, so I'm nervous about it, and want something that will stand up well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Courtney

13 replies
brincess_b Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:15am
post #2 of 14

i do a victoria sponge, which works well. go to www.bbc.co.uk/food and you can find some there.
xx

Missy21 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 14

Definiely worth a try! Thanks so much for your help. icon_smile.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 14

These Durable Cakes are great for carving. You can just go to the recipe section and "search" for "durable" if the links don't work for some reason.

HTH,
Pat B.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6093-Durable-Cake-for-3D-in-Chocolate.html

pipe-dreams Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #5 of 14

I do carved cakes all the time with box mix. I just add an extra egg and a small box of pudding mix. Then stick it in the freezer while it's still slightly warm(wrap very good in plastic wrap first). Putting it in the freezer will firm it up, so it's MUCH easier to carve..no crumbs

I've also just learned that WASC(white almond sour cream) is dense, so it holds up well to carving. It's in the recipe section!

MJoycake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #6 of 14

can I jump in with a related question here? I'm doing a carved cake for this weekend (also my first)....thanks for the info on carving it while frozen....so do you carve it, then re-wrap it to thaw? I know I've read that when you thaw a frozen cake, it should still be wrapped in Saran/plastic wrap so the condensation collects on the outside of the wrap and not on the cake. Any info you can offer is appreciated! Sorry for hijacking with another question, Courtney!

pipe-dreams Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 14

I usually just take it out of the freezer, carve it, and let it sit out. Then when it's at room temp, I put my crumbcoat on. If you wrap it really good in the first place, you shouldn't get freezer burn or anything like that. I use ALOT of saran wrap, I go over it like at least 8 time each direction! Let me know if you need anything else!

MJoycake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #8 of 14

thanks so much~!

emiyeric Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #9 of 14

I second the WASC as a wonderful sturdy cake-carving option. However, if you're doing a corset, you might not need to do that much carving. Depending on the size of the cake you're doing, you could use either the ball pan or the mini ball pan for the breast, and simply carve the torso (or even use a heart pan shape). What I love about this option is that there are far fewer crumbs. Take a look at my pics if you want to see what I mean ... there's a corset cake there towards the bottom of my images. Good luck!

-Emi.

plbennett_8 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #10 of 14

I have gotten where when I carve a cake, I don't freeze it...I just chill it all the way through... This usually takes about 1/2 hour. I use thin layers - 1 inch to the height I need... Fill with REAL ALL BUTTER Buttercream (forms solid when chilled - glue) cover with a crumb coat, and put it in the frig to chill through. Then I take it out and do the initial carving, crumb coat again, and chill again. If it needs additional carving I follow the same procedure. Sturdy! icon_smile.gif

HTH, icon_smile.gif
Pat B.

MJoycake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #11 of 14

Pat - I made all the cakes last week/this weekend because there are so many, with lots of detailed fondant work left to do, so I froze them after baking. I'm planning to use smbc and the raspberry puree filling found on this site. Any advice? Any of you use smbc under fondant? I've had other CC'ers tell me they've done it, but this will be my first time trying it. I was figuring I'd carve the basic shape BEFORE filling/icing (the carved layer is going to be the mad hatter's hat - Alice in Wonderland themed party). I've got 4 - 6inch layers and 2 - 8 inch layers to carve into the basic shape of the hat.

plbennett_8 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #12 of 14

Joy,

I do not use SMBC, but I thought that it was pretty soft? Shrugs...I don't know... I use IndyDebi's buttercream, make it thick and use a lighter coating under fondant. I use an All butter - buttercream between the layers. As far as I can see, you would pretty much have to carve it before filling. I would then fill it using a Thick Dam, let it settle and chill it Really well - maybe overnight...before putting the fondant on. I would also try to use two offset dowels into the board if possible. Hey, I can be a little paranoid...lol icon_razz.gif I have had raspberry slide and do the oozzz on me before, so I am careful with it...lol icon_smile.gif On the topsy turvy Mardi Gras cake, I talked them into strawberry, and raspberry buttercream. I told them that because of the nature of the "stack" it needed the stability... icon_lol.gif They Loved it! icon_smile.gif

Good luck, You can do it! thumbs_up.gif
Pat B.

Missy21 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you all so much for the words of advice! I actually finished the cake last night, and it turned out better than I had imagined. I learned a lot, and am glad that I did a practice cake, because there are some things that I will change. I made a pumpkin spice cake and used your advice pipe-dreams, and put it in the freezer overnight. That helped IMMENSELY in the carving process, and it worked quite well. The finished image is in my pictures icon_smile.gif I am looking forward to doing the "real cake" in a couple of months. Thank you all so much again. This website is so wonderful, and you are all so helpful. icon_biggrin.gif

pipe-dreams Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #14 of 14

Missy, that cake is fantastic! I thought you were talking about the corset that lays down on the cake board..like with boobs and everything. You's is super cute...great idea for a corset! I'm glad I could help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%