Help!!!!! My Whipped Ganache Won't Set Up

Decorating By PuffMamaT Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 4:29am by LaBellaFlor

PuffMamaT Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 8

I used 1.5 Cups of heavy whipping cream and 24 oz of dark chocolate to make my ganache. No problem there. Then I took out about 1.5 Cups of the ganache to whip for a filling. But it won't set up enough! I have added merengue powder and powdered sugar, which helped a bit, but it's still the consistency of pudding rather than a fluffy filling.

HELP! What do I do? This cake is for my nephew for tomorrow and I don't have any other ingredients on hand to make a different filling between my layers.

7 replies
moxey2000 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:05am
post #2 of 8

Did you chill the ganache before you whipped it? That's how I do it. I don't remember where I got that from, but it always works.

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 8

Your supposed to chill it first, then whip it. And don't chill it to long, cause then it will get too hard, but it does need to be chilled to a spreading consistency first.

PuffMamaT Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #4 of 8

Thank you!

Do you think it will work if I chill it now, then re-whip? Or do I need to start over?

GI Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:23am
post #5 of 8

If it's not too late, I would pop it in the fridge for a bit. If you already added p.sugar, then it will get firmer real fast. Try to chill it for about 20 minutes and see how it does.

icon_smile.gif

bethola Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #6 of 8

I think it would work. That happened to me yesterday. I thought I had chilled it enough, but, obviously I hadn't. Back in the frig for about 15 minutes and then whipped up like a dream!

Beth in KY

PuffMamaT Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:00am
post #7 of 8

Okay, it worked out okay. I'm a little worried that it won't hold up tomorrow, but hopefully the ganache on the outside will keep it in.

THANKS!!!

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #8 of 8

Ganache is pretty user friendly. Make a mistake, you can always remelt & start all over again, not cold enough after 1st attempt at whipping, back in the fridge, whip again. My favorite, sourcream chocolate ganache with baban cakeicon_biggrin.gif ! It should have fine for a couple of adys & I'm glad it worked out. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%