Dry Royal Icing Super Fast????? Urgent!

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 9 Aug 2013 , 4:08pm by BAonline

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 8

I need to dry royal icing flowers super fast! Is there any way to speed this process along? I tried to do gumpaste tulips from the wilton book. Everything went ok until I tried to put them together then disaster!!! UGH!! So now I'm gonna try to use some royal flowers that I piped real quick but I need them fast....please! Any help is appreciated!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

7 replies
luv2bak4myboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bak4myboys Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 8

I've always heard, but never tried, that you can put them in a low heat oven to help the process along. I believe it's around 200-250 degress.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 8

You just need your RI really, really, really stiff when you pipe it. Like barely being able to pipe it stiff. It will dry right before your eyes.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 8

I once tried drying royal icing bluebells piped in the lily nail (so they were all in foil) in my gas oven on a very low heat (150 degrees F).

The exterior of the royal icing crusted very quickly and as the icing dried, the wet royal icing deep in the foil became trapped under pressure and small worms of wet royal icing spiraled out of small fissures in the royal icing. It was weird, and they obviously failed. LOL Kinda like how cake batter bakes around the sides of the pan first, forcing unbaked batter toward the middle, where it domes up as it bakes through. The royal icing had nowhere to go until it burst through the crust and made long, wormy spirals. Wish I had taken pictures! icon_biggrin.gif

If you are piping flowers on waxed paper squares, you can dry them in a matter of just a few hours by putting them on a cooling grid (on the waxed paper, obviously) and have a tabletop fan blow on them. I do this pretty frequently. Same trick works with Color Flow pieces. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Michelle104 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:01am
post #5 of 8

So do I just add more ps to stiffen it up? I haven't made royal in so long and I just had that CK mix that you add water to. Thanks so much for the responses!!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 8

With a fan, you can use regular consistency RI.

Michelle104 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #7 of 8

Thanks guys! I already had the regular consistency and had piped the flowers onto wax paper. I made like a little pedestal to get them as close as I could to the light that hangs down over the table. They dried in about 3 1/2 hours so that worked really well. Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

BAonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BAonline Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 8

I've had good luck with my dryer.  I put the rack in that hooks from front to back so you can put delicate items in without spinning.  I set on air cycle and voila!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%