Help....my Easter Basket Handle Broke In Half!!

Decorating By Normita Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 4:55am by didi5

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 11

I am making an easter basket cake for tomorrow and the handle broke in half!! Dont know what to do...I already tried glueing it back together with water...nothing....tried to glue it with candy melts...nothing!!! Dont know what to do...everything else is almost dry but that piece is still soft. Any ideas???

10 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 11

What did you make it out of? If it's gumpaste or 50/50 gumpaste/fondant, you can take a piece of gumpaste dissolve it in water to make a paste. Use the paste to glue the pieces together and place a small fan on it to speed up the drying process.

If it's a heavy handle, you may have to do a bigger patch job to hold it. I'd take a piece of gumpaste, roll out a rope and wrap it around the handle in a decorative way but also to hold it together. Then place in front of a fan over night to dry.

Good luck, I hope I didn't confuse you!
icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 11

someone else posted about handles - if you dont manage to get it fixed, some of the ideas were using candies to make a hande, like liquorice, and covering a wire in fondant/ gumpaste, so you dont have to worry so much about breaking.
xx

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:21am
post #4 of 11

You could also use some wire to bind it together. Just cover the wire with more fondant or gumpaste...you could hide any breakage or flaws with a small flower and some leaves or a small bow.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:44am
post #5 of 11

Are you able to get your hands on some thin hose/clear plastic tubing - cover that with Fondant - even the ends - stick some wire/toothpicks in the ends and adhere it to the cake that way?
Then maybe decorate around the joins with some fondant flowers/leaves

As it is very flexable - won't be as heavy as an all fondant handle - and will keep its shape.

I know its Easter - and not all places are open - but maybe there is a Hardware store near you that you could get some from - its cheap.

icon_sad.gif that this has happened - right before you need it...icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Bluehue.

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 11

Probably too late, but I just saw this (have been sucked into the Stop Payment thread too icon_lol.gif ).

I was having problems with handles too, and came up with this. I took some floral wire I had, used fondant in the same colors as the basket, cut out circles with a circle cutter, wet them a little, and folded them over the wire. Bend the wire first, I didn't do that with the pink/purple basket, so it turned out a little misshapen.

HTH!
LL

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenatea

You could also use some wire to bind it together. Just cover the wire with more fondant or gumpaste...you could hide any breakage or flaws with a small flower and some leaves or a small bow.

Or, cut a piece of wire the same length of your handle and bend it to the exact shape of your handle. Attach your broken handle to the bent wire by winding fondant snakes or strips around both. Kind of like a wire splint.

Normita Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.....UNFORTUNATELY, as I was trying to repair my handle not only did it break in one spot but in three others!! I just decided to give up (after a mini breakdown) and go with another easter design. I will post pixs once it is done. But the ideas were sure helpful for in the future icon_smile.gif

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:41am
post #9 of 11

I had a similar thing happened to me. My handle didn't dry out in time so i had to improvise. I used 2 gum paste floral wires and attached them together on one end. Then I cut strips of foam sheet and attached to wire with a hot glue gun. Then I wrapped and decorated it with ribbon. Here's the finished product. The wire did not look proportioned to the cake at all but I didn't have enough time nor the steam to make another one.
LL

Normita Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:49am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi5

I had a similar thing happened to me. My handle didn't dry out in time so i had to improvise. I used 2 gum paste floral wires and attached them together on one end. Then I cut strips of foam sheet and attached to wire with a hot glue gun. Then I wrapped and decorated it with ribbon. Here's the finished product. The wire did not look proportioned to the cake at all but I didn't have enough time nor the steam to make another one.

How cute!!! But what is foam sheet??

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #11 of 11

thank you! The foam sheet looks like a sheet of white paper only in foam, it's about 1-2 mm thick. I got it from the dollar store in the craft section. I cut about 1/2" width strips of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%