Question About Decorating

Decorating By DIYmaggie Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 5:17am by xstitcher

DIYmaggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DIYmaggie Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:04am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone this is my first post and of course I need help, lol.

I have some questions about using fondant to cover a cake, can you use a buttercream or royal icing to decorate a fondant cake?

I was researching this but haven't really seen alot on the topic. Most of the cakes I've seen have been fondant with fondant decorations or buttercream with buttercream decorations.

I'd like to make the cake with a fondant icing and then have fondant figures and use buttercream icing to do decorations such as grass, leaves and flowers.

Just wondering if it'll look good and if there'd be any complications? I don't think there would be but better to know ahead of time.

Also I'd be using a marshmallow fondant, has anyone has any problems making animal figures with marshmallow fondant?

Thanks,

Maggie icon_smile.gif

3 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 4

Hi Maggie! Welcome to CC! You absolutely can use buttercream to decorate on fondant cakes. As far as using Marshmallow Fondant (MMF) to make figures, you can do it, as many people do on CC, but I don't prefer it because it is a softer fondant and it takes longer to set up. You can add hardener to it though.

Good Luck!

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of 4

I pipe buttercream and royal icing decorations on my fondant.

Just mix some Tylose powder into your MMF and it works great to make a gumpaste! It's alot cheaper!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:17am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolesprinkle

I pipe buttercream and royal icing decorations on my fondant.

Just mix some Tylose powder into your MMF and it works great to make a gumpaste! It's alot cheaper!

Yup works great. If you can't get Tylose than use Wilton's Gum Tex. Although I prefer the Tylose. Also an even better fondant (IMHO) is MFF instead of MMF. You can add the tylose in either one of these.

The other thing to do to make your figures is to use a 50/50 blend of gum paste and fondant.

Here's one of the link's to Michele Foster's recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-2-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html

HTH

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%