How Do Sheet Cakes Factor Into A Quote? Please

Business By kellertur Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm by kellertur

kellertur Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 7

Hello,
I'm in the middle of trying to send a quote from a tasting today but I am a bit confused about sheet cakes factoring in....

Can anyone please tell me how to quote for a sheet cake as part of the wedding cake? The servings are for 150, I have one quote for just that, but she wants a another quote for incorporating a sheet cake into the count? How many servings are going to be going into that sheet cake? icon_confused.gif She had no idea when I asked...

Thank you so much... if you could even just nudge me in the right direction (your experience) I would be really appreciate it.
icon_smile.gif

6 replies
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #2 of 7

I would not do sheet cakes for a 150 serving wedding. There's no reason to do sheets ever, IMO, but certainly not until you get up to 200 or so. You should have a minimum main cake before you even talk about sheets.

And please, instead of doing sheets, do kitchen cakes.

kellertur Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:52am
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much ~ icon_smile.gif

Personally, I loath sheet cakes, but I wasn't sure what to say when she asked, this was a first. I like the idea of "Kitchen cakes". It sounds classier for a wedding.

My quote is MORE than reasonable as is.

Thanks again~ icon_smile.gif

skaggs1 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7

Is she wanting a tiered cake with sheet cakes on the side or just sheet cakes for everything? I don't see what the big deal about doing sheet cakes or kitchen cakes is, if that is what the customer wants and is the one paying then who cares? Just figure out how many sheet cake's you'll need then price it by serving size.

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:48am
post #5 of 7

I'm with leahs. Once I explain to brides that they are not saving money with my sheet cakes, they ditch the idea.

I dont' charge extra for lavish design ...., ergo, there is nothing to deduct if the cake is "plain". So the only difference between a tiered cake with ribbon wrapped around the base and a sheet cake is the pan I bake it in.

So I can tell my brides "this means you can have a large, grand wedding cake at the same (or sometimes cheaper) price with me than you can get a dinky wedding cake with sheet cakes on the side from somewhere else."

And a 3-tier cake for 100 with a sheet cake for 50 on the side is actually extra work for me. So if I wanted to get snippy about charging for design and factor in whether it's "easier" or not, I'd have to charge extra for the sheet cake in this scenario.

leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:56am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs1

Is she wanting a tiered cake with sheet cakes on the side or just sheet cakes for everything? I don't see what the big deal about doing sheet cakes or kitchen cakes is, if that is what the customer wants and is the one paying then who cares? Just figure out how many sheet cake's you'll need then price it by serving size.

1) I don't have a problem with kitchen cakes, but there needs to be a good reason for them. I don't discount them much at all, so really in ten years, I think I've provided two.
2) Big deal? Oh yes, it's a very big deal. I am not in business to lose money.
3) Once I explain to brides that a sheet cake is 2" tall with no filling and a wedding cake is four layers of cake, three layers of filling, and ask them to picture them on plates side by side, they start to get it. Then I tell them to make a list for their caterer on who to serve the wedding cake to and who to serve the cheap cake to, becasue there's an obvious difference.
4) Part of my job as a professional is guiding the bride into not making herself look cheap, especially in front of people who just got dressed up, gave up 5 hours of their Saturday night to celebrate with her and gave her an expensive present.
5) And again, kitchen cakes = OK.

kellertur Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 7

I have to agree because they are requesting a very simple design with some sculpted fondant accents.

** My quote (all tiered, no sheet) was almost HALF of what the other bakery was going to charge them with sheet cakes taking up over half the cake. icon_eek.gif (It's a fancy euro-style bakery about 30 miles away, so they are also being charged $75 just in delivery fees.) That said, the couple told me the fancy bakery's cakes "tasted old", and mine were moist and fresh. icon_smile.gif

So when I heard the words (wedding cake & sheet cake to save money), I raised an eyebrow. I sent them my quote last night with just a 3 -4 tier design. It's more than reasonable. If they can't afford it, I respect that, but because I use organic, premium ingredients, I really can't afford to "cut corners" to save someone a few dollars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%