Calling All Bakery Owners!

Business By FairyPoppins Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm by toleshed

FairyPoppins Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 9

I'm applying for a part time job at the local bakery. It has an excellent reputation as THE place to go to for upscale cakes. Unfortunately they don't have a website to browse but I have seen the cakes in the store window and know I could replicate them all.

I've never worked at a bakery before and I'm nervous about the interview (assuming they like my portfolio). So, what kinds of questions would they ask me and what techniques would I be expected to know?

Thanks for any advice or tips! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 9

You likely will be asked to flat ice and do a simple decorate on something such as a birthday cake. I believe the standard is (and it's been a while for me) 20 minutes from grabbing the layers out of the freezer to ready to go into the case. Level, fill, flat ice, 5 roses and border. 20 minutes.

leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #3 of 9

Maybe it was 12 minutes = 5 per hour.

The memory is the first thing to go . . .

mcook1670 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 9

if it was a grocery store it would be 20 cakes a hour. I would tink that they might ask you about your experience, the different medians you know how to work with. I'm sure you'll be fine

patticakesnc Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 9

LOL that is why I will never work in someone else's bakery.....It would take me 12 minutes just to get it out of the freezer and get it to my table!

rockysmommy Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

LOL that is why I will never work in someone else's bakery.....It would take me 12 minutes just to get it out of the freezer and get it to my table!

icon_lol.gif TOO FUNNY!!!

Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #7 of 9

Go for it!

I was able to get a job with an upscale caterer as an asst to the pastry chef, mostly doing cakes but also helping with desserts. It was a great experience. I was hired simply on my portfolio. I do have a college degree, but its in education. Not food. haha. I did work in the college kitchen during college though.

Anyway...yeah just go in there with your portfolio and be confident! The one I worked at, you didn't have to do assembly line cakes, it was all custom ordered wedding cakes, and then cookies and other desserts.

Good luck!

FairyPoppins Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the advice ladies! I'm not sure I could decorate a cake in 20 minutes though without it being eligible for cakewrecks! I'll have to have a go next week.

Kitagrl - I have a degree in education too! I was a teacher for 11 years before we moved to the USA from England 6 years ago. My degree is almost worthless here so I thought I'd take my hobby to the next level.

toleshed Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 9

rockysmommy
I love your quote " I'm just a 50-year-old Harley riding grandma, who enjoys decorating cakes".

this describes me except that I'd have to add a few years to the age and its cookies instead of cakes.
Very cute

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%