What Do I Need To Start The Cake Buzz In Fl?

Decorating By rsheehanb Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 2:16am by SandyS

rsheehanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsheehanb Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 4

Hello , I live in Fl and I wold like to know what are the requirements to start my cake business.. If is legal to do it from home, if it has to be inspected by the health and food department... I have no idea how it works , I know many people work from home ... but I'd like to do every thing by the book.. following the laws and rules of the state.
If any one has the anwer I like get that information my email is [email protected]

3 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 4

there is a forum for this very topic...."cake decorating business"....click on that and there should be a thread on the different requirements in each state.

Good luck!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 4

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/index.html Florida Department of Agriculture....scroll down to BAKERS

Minimum Construction Standards http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/fs/min_standards_chklist.pdf

You can no bake from your home kitchen it must be a seperate commercial kitchen....you can build on a commercial kitchen or convert a room but you can not have access to this kitchen from your home. You need an outside entrance. Also you need to check with your local zoning. The state allows commercial kitchens in your home but your city may not. So before you start to build check your local zoning board. And ask every question several time to several people to make sure you get the same answer, for some reason, goverment people don't know what the hecks going on and you may get the go ahead just to find out they were incorrect.. icon_rolleyes.gif Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

SandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyS Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 4

AMEN! I have a legal kitchen here in FL. Have had it for 16years and it was a nightmare in the beginning. Like she stated ask alot of questions and I would keep record of the name of the person who told me what. The Dept. of Agriculture will mail you a packet with the info but it is long and involved. If you want to PM me I will answer what I know. Good luck - it is worth it in the long run but it can be a royal PIA!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%