Newbie Here!!!!!

Decorating By MrsNewBaker Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm by poohsmomma

MrsNewBaker Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 11

I recently decided to take up baking and cake decorating as a hobby and I have absolutely fallen in love with this board!!! I started my first decorating class this week and I just thought of a few questions and I need you guys' help!

When using the Wilton recipe for buttercream or any buttercream recipe for that matter is the meringue powder necessary?

I saw round styrofoam shapes in craft stores, can these be used as cake dummies to practice icing techniques or is there something else I can use so i dont have to bake all the time?

I know I have more questions but I just drew a blank icon_cry.gif

Thanks for all your help

10 replies
shelly-101 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 11

well let me be the first to welcome you to CC. Not all buttercream use meringue powder but i think that it does make a smoother icing and i am not sure about the Styrofoam question but i am sure someone who knows a little more than me can answer your questions better than i can

shelly

kakeladi2 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 11

.....using the Wilton recipe for buttercream or any buttercream recipe for that matter is the meringue powder necessary? ......

Not in my book icon_smile.gif Some say it helps stableize the icine.....maybe if you are in a very, hot, humid area - which I am not.

.......round styrofoam shapes in craft stores, can these be used as cake dummies .......

Certainly icon_smile.gif

Have a *great* time. If you are lucky enough to get a great instructor you will icon_smile.gif

282513 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 11

Hi Welcome, this is going to become your newest addiction! It is really not so funny how addicting this sight is. It is the most wonderful place and everyone is so friendly and helpful.
I do not use meringue powder in my frosting, I think it is optional. I think it can used as a stablilizer of sorts if you need that. Don't quote me as I am just a hobbiest and by no means a professional.
Yes, you can use those styrofoam shapes for dummies. There are sights that sell professional cake dummies. I am not sure what the differences are but I am sure someone can steer you in the right direction.
HTH

shannon0407 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 11

Welcome to your new home! Take the addiction notice on the top left of the screen seriously. It happens to the best of us. icon_biggrin.gif

2txmedics Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 11

Woo Hoo!!! We got another one!!! hooked she is gonna be ...enjoy the ride, as it last and last...this is your new addiction...you will not be able to live without us...lol

ASK ANYONE ANY QUESTIONS...THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS...Ive learned...you will be a sponge and soak it all up.

MrsNewBaker Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you soooooooo much for your quick responses!!!!! I cant wait to get to get to class next week I feel a little overwhelmed right now but I am positive this will be a wonderful learning experience!!

Thanks again!!

tonedna Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 11

As for the meringue powder, is not necesary for crusting but makes your icing more stable.
As for styrofoam.. have in mind that is lighter wich will give you a harder time icing, and you wont learn as much about icing your cake since you dont have to deal with crumbs. Yet for practicing other techniques is great.
Using cake dummies are best as the pores in the styrofoam are bigger and specially in fondant you wont see them as much. But at the end of the day you can use both.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

PJ37 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 11

I have practiced using just waxed paper or parchment (tape it to the surface)...cheap and disposable! Also, you can turn a cake pan upside down and practice piping, etc. with it...again very inexpensive. I guess it depends how involved you want to get with the technique! Welome to this addictive site! You won't believe how much you can learn on it, when you take the time...and everyone is so friendly and helpful!

mashmellow Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:28am
post #10 of 11

Welcome, Welcome ,Welcome ! When I took my first classes, baking a few cakes helped me a lot, because not all the time my cakes came out right, and that gave me the oportunity to learn about right temperature, to dry, sinking cakes, etc.

poohsmomma Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 11

Gosh, we are a serious bunch of enablers!

Welcome, learn, share, enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%