What Happened To My Cupcakes....? (Pic Included)

Decorating By buttercreamkisses Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm by buttercreamkisses

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 7

icon_cry.gif

Yesterday the icing looked so smooth (I used the petite four icing from the recipes on this site).

6 replies
hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 7

It looks like it melted.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 7

That would be my first guess too. Were they fully cooled before you iced them? I know sometimes you think it's cooled but when you feel underneath the cake its still warm in spots.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 7

woww, it does look melted though.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 7

did you pre ice them with buttercream,like a crumb coat. id say the cakes absorbed some of the icing. petit fours generally have a thin coat of icing or marzipan on the surface before pouring on the fondant.

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

did you pre ice them with buttercream,like a crumb coat. id say the cakes absorbed some of the icing. petit fours generally have a thin coat of icing or marzipan on the surface before pouring on the fondant.

definitely - before using a poured icing on a cake, you want to apply buttercream, apricot glaze or something like that...otherwise the cake will absorb the thin glaze.

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 7

ahhh... nope just poured the icing on. We'll file it under live and learn. I ended up scrapping the whole easter egg cupcake ideas for Easter dinner when I saw them like that and went with an angel lush cake instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%