Went To Deliver Cake For 2:00 Appt., Woman Not Home!!

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm by __Jamie__

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 6

I made arrangements with a customer to drop off her cake at 2:00. My husband and I took the ride to her house and rang the door bell. We waited awhile, hubby looked at me and I looked at him not knowing what to do if noone was home. After some time a man answered the door looked at us like we were aliens and why were we doing bothering him. I told him I were there to deliver a cake. He told me his wife just left to go shopping and wouldn't be back for some time. I originally told this woman I wanted to show her how to attach the handle (Easter basket) and where to place the bunny (I attached dowel rods to make it easier for her to transport it to her gathering). I told the husband he was going to be the lucky one to learn how to put it together. He was very pleasant about it. I had expected to receive a phone call from this woman but never did. My question is; what should I have done if noone was home?!?!?!? I will be charging for delivery from now on!!!

The cake was an 8x5 inch basketweave with a braided fondant handle in three colors, a hand made fondant 5" bunny, candy eggs and strawberry cream filling. I charged her $35 which included bringing it to her house, a half hour away.

Sandy

5 replies
kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 6

That creation should have been double that price!

I once had 3 wedding cakes the same day...... I arrived early at the 2nd one by maybe 45-60 minutes. The venue *refused* to let me set up the cake (outside under a tent)! This location was at least 30 minutes drive time away from my shop.
I ended up going back to my shop, picked up the last delivery - & went there; put me more than 1 hr early there but had no problems setting up; then returned to the other place icon_sad.gif Sometimes we just have to do what you have to do - like it or not icon_sad.gif
I remember one time going to visit a cake shop in the next town maybe 1 hr from me....and there was a note on the door to someone that the cake the were late picking up was at another shop in that strip-mall.

Sandy, I have heard of people leaving cakes on the door step! icon_sad.gif I don't think I could do that - I'd make the customer come get it.
After all, it was their fault they were not there, unless you were late.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1

The cake was an 8x5 inch basketweave with a braided fondant handle in three colors, a hand made fondant 5" bunny, candy eggs and strawberry cream filling. I charged her $35 which included bringing it to her house, a half hour away.

How does that even cover your costs, much less your effort? How many servings do you think that was? At least 20? I'm not "official" because I don't live in a state that'll let me do that from home...I try hard to ask people to reimburse my costs, but just my costs. Not just because you can, but because you should - charge more! Plus delivery.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 6

Delivering the cake on time and offering assistance on how to add the handle inidicates you are both professional and provide great customer service.

However, you can't make your customers care more than you do about your creations. icon_sad.gif

As long as you get a 50% deposit on booking with the balance payable BEFORE delivery, you're not left holding the bag if the customer isn't at home when you make your deliveries.

Because the choice is either to call the customer's cell phone (and get permission to leave cake which voids any satisfaction guarantee you may have) or have a policy (written and posted on your site and/or customer order) that cakes will not be left if customer is not at home to receive delivery. (Arrangements will have to be made by customer to pick cake up at your convenience and there WILL BE an additional charge for scheduling same.)

Sad to say, but the only way to get some people to value your time is to make it COSTLY for them not to.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 6

Here's the wording I found on another bakery site:

If, for some reason, the reception site is unwilling to accept delivery at the agreed upon time, we will return later and make a second attempt. If the site is unable to accept the delivery after the second attempt, the cake will be returned to the bakery and responsibility for getting the cake to the site becomes yours. Additional fees apply for additional delivery attempts, whether successful or unsuccessful. Cakes outside our delivery zone receive only one delivery attempt.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1

Sandy

((shaking head)) icon_eek.gif Oi! $35? Well of course it was $35, you said it was $35. Wow.....that is so much work for only pennies. Pennies I tell ya....next time, a bit more yes? icon_cool.gif [/u][/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%