Chocolate Dipped Strawberries Cascade On Tiered Cake

Decorating By candycakes51 Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm by candycakes51

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 13

I have been asked to do a tiered wedding cake for a friend and she wants a cascade of chocolate dipped strawberries up the sides and on top of the cake. Have no clue how to do this without the strawberries falling off the sides due to weight. Have never done chocolate dipped strawberries or put any strawberries on the sides of a cake before. This is my gift to the couple so it has to be perfect. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

12 replies
Sunshyne_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshyne_gal Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 13

I did one recently and I simply used toothpicks. I positioned the strawberries closely together so that they supported one another instead of having to rely on the cake for support alone.

candycakes51 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 13

thanks, Sun, I am really nervous about this, I appreciate your help!!

kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 13

Once a strawberry is pierced, cut, or rubbed 'raw' it will leak juiceicon_sad.gif I would not suggest using toothpicks unless they are there to support the weight of the berry, not stuck into it.

Dip a few berries at a time and lay on wax paper; let choco set up until it starts to get dull but the choco is still slightly soft. Start at the bottom of your cascade and put your largest berries there. The 'damp' choco of the next layer will adhere to the icing and the previous berries, holding it in place. Just keep climbing up the cake placing berries so they touch and the choco will harden to hold them into place.
I suggest you practice on a small cake before hand icon_smile.gif

candycakes51 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 13

I kind of wondered about the leakage thing...thanks for the info..think I will experiment for sure...thanks again for the help!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:10am
post #6 of 13

You can still use toothpicks but don't pentrate the berries. As mentioned above, start stacking them from the bottom. Insert the toothpicks into the cake, creating a shelf or a cradle for the berry to sit in. Lay the berry on the toothpicks. The berries on the bottom will also help support them.

Strongly advice doing this after delivery and assembly. Also let the bride know that what she is requesting is very precarious.

candycakes51 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:39am
post #7 of 13

I was planning on assembling it on site since I have to transport the cake about 25 miles up in the foothills to the wedding and I am planning on using hidden dowels to stack the cakes. I like the idea of using the toothpicks as "ledges" for the strawberries. I knew I could find my answers here. Everyone on the site is so helpful and creative!! I have about a month before the wedding so I will be getting in a lot of practice time between now and then.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #8 of 13

If you don't want any of the toothpicks to show, you can pipe some green BC leaves throughout the berries to cover the ends of the t.picks.

candycakes51 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #9 of 13

Another great idea!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #10 of 13

And use SPS to support this cake!!

Sunshyne_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshyne_gal Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:01am
post #11 of 13

Luckily I didn't run into any juice leakage issues but using the toothpicks as a "shelf" is an awesome idea. I'll have to try that next time.

candycakes51 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 13

OK, I admit I am really new at this tiered cake stuff, but I am confused..what is the difference between the Wilton hidden pillars vs. the SPS system? I watched the video, but didn't understand the part about the "peg" in the middle?

candycakes51 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #13 of 13

OK, I have done my research and answered my own question. SPS looks great, but out of my money league, will just have to go with the dowels and assemble when I get there. Thanks so much everyone for all your great input!!

CakeCentral members rock!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%