Poor Timming!! Email Arrives 30 Minutes Before Delivery

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm by tammycake

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 53

Ok, I have been doing cakes for friends and family as a "gift". Friend wanted a special cake for daughter, a little over the top. We have been planning for at least 2 months on this. I take cake to party and she looks a bit upset. The bday girl loves the cake and everyone oohhs and aahhs over it. I get home and check up on things, and 30 minutes before I am supposed to be there with the cake is a email discussing how she wants the finished look. I was on the road icon_mad.gif . This morning I got another email from her saying the cake tasted good but was upset that I did not finish the cake like she wanted, I sent you an email this afternoon with what I wanted, why did you do this to me? icon_mad.gif I was soooo disappointed! How the heck do you respond to this? You get a cake like we had been talking about, wait to last minute to get napkins on the way, send a phone email AFTER the cake is finished and are disappointed in how the cake turned out? WTF? I am in the process of getting my own place and I do enjoy making cakes. I thought that this would be good pre-shop advertising. I thought this would be a good way to help a friend. She couldn't even afford Wally World. I think I will just give up on cakes all together! icon_cry.gif

52 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 53

You know what, tell her the truth, you were on your way when she sent you an email. And seriously, why would she even complain about a FREE cake? If she can't afford Wally World and she is actually getting a cake from a decorator, she should be more than thankful. I'm sorry this happened to you but don't let this discourage you.

I think you make amazing cakes! I specially like the sweet 16 cake you did by the way. If she can't appreciate your amazing talent and kindness, well I don't think she is that much of a friend afterall.

Please don't give up cakes!! hugs!

dogwalkin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwalkin Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 53

Don't give up. I would just explain to her that you didn't get that e-mail until after you had delivered the cake.

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 53

Her problem is NOT your problem. Some people are clueless !!

Your cakes are wonderful! Please don't give up, I would love to have your talent. Don't let her discourage you, just let her go to Wally World next time.

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 53

It just goes to show people have NO CLUE what goes into decorating a cake or even transporting it. I would email her back and explain very simply that she cannot send an email at the last minute to make changes. It is inappropriate. I would also reiterate the agreed upon design and if she still is acting like a you know what then tell her to make her own next time.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 53

She's lucky that the cake was a gift... how can she have the nerve to get mad at you when you are just giving the cake! You should see the thread about Dsevans about the bride stopping payment on her check on the day of the wedding... that was a real nightmare! Like you I make cakes for friends and family...altho none have requested or demanded certain decorations, they were all appreciative of whatever cake I came up with.

Anyway, when you get into business, that's what the contract is for. Have it written in black and white, this way you are covered in all grounds.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 53

You should write her a nice email back and say something like, I'm really sorry that the cake didn't turn out the way that you wanted it. I was under the impression that this was what you wanted. If you had given me more notice, I could have changed the cake. But it takes about 4-6 (however many hours it takes you) to make a cake. In order for me to have changed the cake, you would have had to let me know at least 2 days in advance. I never received the email you sent stating the changes, because I was on my way, with the cake, to your party!!

You could even put something in there about how you are upset that she didn't like it because it was your gift to her and you worked very hard on it.

Hope this helps. But I would definitely tell her off in a nice way. She needs to know and understand why you didn't change it. It was HER FAULT! Not yours!

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 53

Don't give up on cakes! It's not your fault she's an idiot. What nerve she had to complain about a free cake anyway let alone changing it at the last minute.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 53

NO!!! You dont give up because of one set back. First of all, you did NOTHING WRONG!!! I would send an email back, stating that you dont check your email while your working on a cake, ESPECIALLY at the last minute...as the cake was very important to both of you and you wanted to get it done for her.
Tell your disappointed that, since there was a big change in the cake, that she didnt call you and speak to you in person, Thus maybe causing everyone to not be happy.
And state that your glad at least she was happy with the tasting of the cake. But for further cakes, Please make direct contacts and to PLEASE, not do it at the last minute, as you have other orders or its hard to change a design at the last minute. And then thank her. Stating I know you understand and I thank you.
NO APOLOGY AT ALL on your part...Be firm, be Strong!!! *hugs*

kbak37 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 53

whoa...I saw an Alaska license plate in one of your pics..are you in Alaska?

kbak37 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 53

Looking through your photos..there is no reason you should give up on cakes....your kidding right? Don't let one persons stupidity get you down! Especially if she got it for free or even half of the cost then shame on her for even making a negative remark.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 53

I'm so sorry.....but.....THIS is a person you consider a "friend"? I do cakes for friends and family only and well, as ANY who has been on CC for any length of time knows....I don't charge OR I don't charge enough. BUT, I can say this....I have NEVER had one of my friends complain about a FREE cake. Most want to pay MORE than what the cake is worth!

I'm sorry this happened to you, but, your cakes are truly amazing and you shouldn't give up. Maybe when "your friend" sees you one day on Food Network Challenge....she'll feel REALLY BAD!

Beth in KY

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 53

Ok, after reading in here, I went to peek at your cakes...ARE YOU KIDDING!!! GIVE UP ON CAKES!!! ...lol, woman you have talent...wish I had it like you did.
And I want you to go back and look at your photos and SEE HOW MANY are marked FAVORITES!!!! *hitting you on the head*...
FORWARD YOU MOVE ON...next challenge in making cakes...lol

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 53

Wow!!! Your cakes are so awesome! CC has a lot of talented decorators, I'm just hoping some day I can be like you.

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 53

Your cakes are absolutely wonderful. Don't let one unappreciative person get in your way of what you want to do. There's always someone out there that thinks the world revolves around them and if someone gave them a million bucks, they'd complain if it wasn't in new bills. And if that's her attitude, she's really not a friend.

I have one sitting in the freezer right now....the Marilyn cake in my photos...done for a good friend. The party was cancelled a couple of hours before it was to begin and rescheduled for today. Cancelled again, and now he doesn't think it's going to happen. When I asked him about the cake...he said..."oh well, do what you want with it. If we decide to have the party, you can do another one" icon_mad.gif I highly doubt it.

Anybody hungry for dutch chocolate Marilyn Monroe cake? icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 53

Well isn't that just the kicker....she has the nerve to email you and state how disappointed she was......I would be telling her what for like "Your'e lucky I you gave a cake for nothing" and a few more choice words..friend or no friend!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

You should write her a nice email back and say something like, I'm really sorry that the cake didn't turn out the way that you wanted it. I was under the impression that this was what you wanted. If you had given me more notice, I could have changed the cake. But it takes about 4-6 (however many hours it takes you) to make a cake. In order for me to have changed the cake, you would have had to let me know at least 2 days in advance. I never received the email you sent stating the changes, because I was on my way, with the cake, to your party!!

You could even put something in there about how you are upset that she didn't like it because it was your gift to her and you worked very hard on it.

Hope this helps. But I would definitely tell her off in a nice way. She needs to know and understand why you didn't change it. It was HER FAULT! Not yours!

She obviously has no clue or appreciation as to what goes into making a cake.

I'm in 2 minds about this one either a polite but informative email or my fav is to do as Kiddiekakes suggested.

Don't let her get you down. Your work is fantastic. She's just an unappreciative id**t!

jlynnw Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #18 of 53

Thanks for all the support. It has been a bad week. I did a cake for the shop and set it up. It was the "wrong" color pink and clashed with the table cloth. they did not provide a color swatch to work with. Mother hates lilacs. They said do the cake in a variety of pastel spring flowers. That cake is covered in that crappy fonduet (use TX accent in redneck), great now we can't even eat it, it will taste like sh!*. The bought 2 dozen cuppies from Sam's. The icing was ouzing all over like a big puss filled zit! They were happy with those, but not a cake with gerber daisies, shasta daisies, lialacs, roses, carnations, daffadills, irises, little tendrils on a pink shimmer dusted cake. They called the shop and got a full refund! A FULL, 100% refund. They did not return the cake that was exactly what was ordered. I read about the bride and her idiot MOB who cancelled the check. WTF, yes, I am cursing, seriously, what the he!! is wrong with people. This is just not called for. I do the cakes at home to improve and have a fun hobby. Work, well, I get to do cakes when nobody else wants to do them, mainly fondant cakes. Otherwise it is just bag up the rolls. My mgr thinks I need to find a new profession as I don't have the skills as needed in a bakery. My DH and I talked, and Monday, I am giving notice. It may be bad in the economy, but my mental health needs it. I feel like I can make a cake that gives you all the instructions on the back of a 4x6 card, the color by product name, tip 3 and everything. What skill is that? The lead lady has a least a cake a week returned and they don't get on her. Her bc roses look like blobbs dropped on a cake. I can do better, OK, I think I can anyway. I feel it would be best to travel onward! Sorry to rant, and rant, and rant.

Thanks for the nice compliments and incouragement. I will figure something out.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:36pm
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

I would send an email back, stating that you dont check your email while your working on a cake, ESPECIALLY at the last minute...

"..... and I especially don't check my emails when I'm driving in the car on my way to deliver a cake that was finished and complete LONG before the email was sent. Please let me know if you want a full refund. Oh wait ..... IT WAS A FREAKIN FREE CAKE WASN'T IT, YA BIG DUMB MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Signed,

Wondering Why I'm Friends with Idiots Like You

jlynnw Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #20 of 53

indydebi I love you! I printed that post and it is hangin' on the fridge right next to my macaroni Easter egg the kids made! Thanks all of you.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:48am
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"..... and I especially don't check my emails when I'm driving in the car on my way to deliver a cake that was finished and complete LONG before the email was sent. Please let me know if you want a full refund. Oh wait ..... IT WAS A FREAKIN FREE CAKE WASN'T IT, YA BIG DUMB MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Signed,

Wondering Why I'm Friends with Idiots Like You

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:40am
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

My mgr thinks I need to find a new profession as I don't have the skills as needed in a bakery.

Ok, I've looked at your pictures and I can see... You don't need to find a new profession... you need to find a NEW BOSS!!! You are a very talented cake decorator and you do NOT need to be working for someone who doesn't see that. Keep caking, keep practicing and I bet you will find a place to let your talent shine!

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #23 of 53

You respond by saying you are sorry she didn't like the cake you two had originally arranged, although you were happy her daughter loved it. Unfortunately, changes in the cake plan need to be provided more than 30 min before the scheduled arrival, as it takes several hours to complete a cake. However, you hope she is happy with the grocery store cakes she will be arranging in future.

WHAT NERVE!!! If this is how your "friends" treat you, I'd hate to meet your enemies!

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #24 of 53

jlynn - I'm sooo sorry this happened to you - I just can't believe the NERVE of some people!! You stay strong and give that notice - with your talent and energy you're bound to succeed and find a good opportunity. We oughtta set Tita on this lady.....

jlynnw Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #25 of 53

so help me, I would love to have Tita and Mel here to talk with these folks. I want a backbone, mouth and the skillz they have to back it all up with.

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #26 of 53
Quote:

so help me, I would love to have Tita and Mel here to talk with these folks. I want a backbone, mouth and the skillz they have to back it all up with.

I hear ya jly - I have a backbone and skillz up the yang for my "day" job, but when it comes to anything I create - that's another story altogether....LOL

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #27 of 53

Dearest darling Friend

The right to complain is equally proportional to the amount of money paid.

Yours truly forever faithful
Ex-Friend

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion

Dearest darling Friend

The right to complain is equally proportional to the amount of money paid.

Yours truly forever faithful
Ex-Friend

Oh that is SO good!! I luv it!!!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #29 of 53

jlynnw DO NOT GIVE UP.......I don't know you personally but I may have to come kick your butt if you let this "friend" and I use that word loosly, keep you doing what you obviously have a wonderful talent for and sounds like you have the passion for it as well! I'd say good ridden to the boss and the friend and move on to bigger and better things!!! Good luck to you!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #30 of 53
Quote:

Thanks for all the support. It has been a bad week. I did a cake for the shop and set it up. It was the "wrong" color pink and clashed with the table cloth. they did not provide a color swatch to work with. Mother hates lilacs. They said do the cake in a variety of pastel spring flowers. That cake is covered in that crappy fonduet (use TX accent in redneck), great now we can't even eat it, it will taste like sh!*. The bought 2 dozen cuppies from Sam's. The icing was ouzing all over like a big puss filled zit! They were happy with those, but not a cake with gerber daisies, shasta daisies, lialacs, roses, carnations, daffadills, irises, little tendrils on a pink shimmer dusted cake. They called the shop and got a full refund! A FULL, 100% refund. They did not return the cake that was exactly what was ordered. I read about the bride and her idiot MOB who cancelled the check. WTF, yes, I am cursing, seriously, what the he!! is wrong with people. This is just not called for. I do the cakes at home to improve and have a fun hobby. Work, well, I get to do cakes when nobody else wants to do them, mainly fondant cakes. Otherwise it is just bag up the rolls. My mgr thinks I need to find a new profession as I don't have the skills as needed in a bakery. My DH and I talked, and Monday, I am giving notice. It may be bad in the economy, but my mental health needs it. I feel like I can make a cake that gives you all the instructions on the back of a 4x6 card, the color by product name, tip 3 and everything. What skill is that? The lead lady has a least a cake a week returned and they don't get on her. Her bc roses look like blobbs dropped on a cake. I can do better, OK, I think I can anyway. I feel it would be best to travel onward! Sorry to rant, and rant, and rant.

Thanks for the nice compliments and incouragement. I will figure something out.

In my opinon sounds like the manager and other employees are jealous of your talent. Since she says you need a new profession tells me your talents are beyond that bakery level. Remember as one door closes another opens for bigger and better opportunities. Your cakes are lovely and you have great talent. Don't let no one make you feel less that what you are worth. Be encourage tell boss tell a chill pill. Tell fiend get over it and enjoy the free cake because when business start blooming she will have to pay. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%