Cheesecake Left Out All Night, Throw It Out, Right?

Decorating By kristyokronley Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm by Neelas_wife

kristyokronley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristyokronley Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 28

I forgot to refridgerate my cheesecake last night. I have to throw it out, right? Its not worth everyone getting sick on Easter!
Too much baking=stupid mistakes!!!

27 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 28

I would toss it in a heart beat.

You might have folks come on here and say, 'Oh we ate it after two days and we didn't die.'

If you are willing to serve it to the very young, very old and the infirm then serve away. Otherwise I'd toss it.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 28

Toss it..............look at it like this..........a couple of $$$ wasted, or a couple of hundred $$$$ spent being sick??????????

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 28

toss it. No question.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 28

no it should be fine. I leave cream cheese out all the time. It's baked and should be fine if you left out. Put it in the fridge

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 28

I actually have recipes that say leave in the oven overnight.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 28

The unrefrigerated life of cream cheese is an accumulation of four hours. Then it starts to create bad bacteria.

Recipes that advise to leave it out that long are wrong.

Hey guess what? This is exactly why baking/caking/catering should be left to professionals.

Look at the cottage baking laws--nothing perishable. Fruit fillings and Cream Cheese top the list of hazardous foods.

There is no question that it is unsafe.

kristyokronley Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 28

Thanks so much for the replies. I knew it, but I just needed the reinforcements of my cc experts!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 28

What about those recipes that say to let a cheesecake cool or continue baking with the oven door open for a few hours? Unsafe?
Why would someone make a recipe like that if its unsafe? Pls educate me.. I don't make cheesecake often,but when i have i always let it cool on the counter..is that a mistake?

kristyokronley Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 28

My recipe says to cool in the oven with the door open for a few hours, but I always refridgerate after that. Last night, I simply forgot to. I was way too tired.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

What about those recipes that say to let a cheesecake cool or continue baking with the oven door open for a few hours? Unsafe?
Why would someone make a recipe like that if its unsafe? Pls educate me.. I don't make cheesecake often,but when i have i always let it cool on the counter..is that a mistake?

Four hours is the total time that cream cheese should be between 40 degrees and one hundred forty degrees f. So it needs to be kept hotter than 140 degrees or colder than 40 degrees.

Beyond that and the stuff starts to degrade. Will it kill you, no. That's the point (four hours) at which it begins to be harmful and snow balls from there.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Four hours is the total time that cream cheese should be between 40 degrees and one hundred forty degrees f. So it needs to be kept hotter than 140 degrees or colder than 40 degrees.

Beyond that and the stuff starts to degrade. Will it kill you, no. That's the point (four hours) at which it begins to be harmful and snow balls from there.

Kate can I ask you a ?

I made cheesecake for the 1st time last night, here's the recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chantals-New-York-Cheesecake/Detail.aspx

I was going to put it in the fridge after it was in the oven after 2 hours. The pan was still warm so I left it in there for another 4 hours. Is this no good now? I turned off the oven as suggested on the recipe but I think I remember seeing Alton Brown's show once saying to crack open the oven door for a few minutes to let some of the heat out. I did this too.

TIA
Parm

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #13 of 28

How about those turnovers that they sell that have cream cheese filling???...those are not cold.. We have a pastry in Puerto Rico called quesitos and the filling is cream cheese inside. They are not served cold, actually they are never refrigerated...

Im always had this question too!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 28

From what I wastaught, once you cook the cream cheese it changes its composition. The ingredients in it that cause the bacteria are cooked and therefor the "four hour" rule no longer applies. I'm not saying you can leave it out for days.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 28

My Health Dept is a real stickler for making sure my cheesecake is kept below 42' - they've actually tested a piece in the fridge to make sure it complied. I bake, it sits on the counter to cool for 2hrs and then straight to the fridge and then to the freezer for storage.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #16 of 28

As my husband would say..."It's better to toss it now than for you (and your Easter guests) to toss it later!"

Throw it away!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 28

As my husband would say..."It's better to toss it now than for you (and your Easter guests) to toss it later!"

Throw it away!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #18 of 28

it's my understanding from food safety classes that 4 hours is the critical point for ANY cooked food, as bacteria starts to grow and reproduce at a certain temp and as time goes on, RAPIDLY starts reproducing. It's a "snowball effect". To be safe, cover food left at room temp, fridge it at 2 hours.

totally throw that cheesecake out

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:01am
post #19 of 28

Edna I think some of those cream cheese filled turnovers you buy at bakeries actually use a cream cheese flavored filling out of a sleeve, which is safe at room temp.

I know you can keep eggs and butter out overnight but I didn't think you could leave cream cheese out that long. I would think that the sugar in a cheesecake would preserve the cream cheese enough to keep it from being too harmful but.... I wouldn't risk it either. I don't leave cream cheese icing out at room temp very long either. I'm really picky when it comes to food that could spoil. Ugh. (One time I offended my stepmom because I have a habit, before giving it to my kids, of sniffing a gallon of milk if I'm not the one who bought it and checked the date! I didn't think about it but she was standing there watching me and was highly offended that I would think she had spoiled milk in her fridge! Oops!)

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:39am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Edna I think some of those cream cheese filled turnovers you buy at bakeries actually use a cream cheese flavored filling out of a sleeve, which is safe at room temp.

I know you can keep eggs and butter out overnight but I didn't think you could leave cream cheese out that long. I would think that the sugar in a cheesecake would preserve the cream cheese enough to keep it from being too harmful but.... I wouldn't risk it either. I don't leave cream cheese icing out at room temp very long either. I'm really picky when it comes to food that could spoil. Ugh. (One time I offended my stepmom because I have a habit, before giving it to my kids, of sniffing a gallon of milk if I'm not the one who bought it and checked the date! I didn't think about it but she was standing there watching me and was highly offended that I would think she had spoiled milk in her fridge! Oops!)

What's to get offended about. I've bought milk a couple of times in my life where the date was good but the milk wasn't. I do the same thing before giving it to my kids to as I don't drink whole milk and that's my way of making sure it's ok.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

What's to get offended about. I've bought milk a couple of times in my life where the date was good but the milk wasn't. I do the same thing before giving it to my kids to as I don't drink whole milk and that's my way of making sure it's ok.

same here. I smell everything, even if I opened it the day before

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #22 of 28

I'm known for my dislike of waste.

But I would dump it. I'm also known for being a stickler for safety.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:48am
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

Me too! I always smell pretty much everything before using it.

I've also offended people by rinsing out their drinking glasses they've given me. icon_redface.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #24 of 28

Well probably you should throw it out. Once I did eat a piece of cheese cake that was left out overnight, and I was fine. I questioned it for awhile, but I REALLY wanted it. I think food safety has come to a whole new level. My mom says that when my grandma was young they used to leave (cooked) meat out for days!

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #25 of 28

What you do in your own home is your business, but you wouldn't risk selling a product that is temp critical. When in doubt....throw it out. My dad was the family cook and this was his motto that I have adopted.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm
post #26 of 28

I forgot to menton WHY I wanted that cheesecake so badly...(if there really needs to be a reason why a gal WANTS cheesecake! LOL). It was from the cheesecake factory! yum-o

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #27 of 28

Um, unless your kitchen temperature was at or under 40 degrees F, I wouldn't risk it icon_wink.gif

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #28 of 28

I woud not take a chance esp when you are serving it to someone else.....Thats just me.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%