Dry Royal Icing, Help

Decorating By Petya Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm by cylstrial

Petya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petya Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 4

My RI I made with dry egg whites got very dry. Can I still use it and how?????

Adding water and rebeating it????

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 4

I often keep my RI for 2 weeks or so. When I'm ready to use, I just throw it in the KA and use the paddle attachment to whip it into shape. But mine is always wet from the saran wrap I cover it with.

Is it so dry that it crusted? It would be hard to work with if there were crusties all thru the RI. They get down in the tips and plug the tip up. It doesn't hurt to try though. Just do some testing on a paper towel or something so that you don't ruin your cookies.

What's the worst that could happen? You make another thing of RI.

Petya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petya Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you, cylstrial. I put hot water and held it over boiling water, too but it didn't help. So I made new RI.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry that you had to remake the RI. Here's what I do to help prevent crusting! Push saran wrap into the mixture all around the edges of the bowl and the top. So that no air can get into the mixture. I leave the extra saran wrap in the tupperware dish, and then put the lid on. Then when it's time to re-use it, I just dump it into the KA and set it on the slowest setting and re-beat it for a few minutes. I throw a big wet towel over the mixer to stop the RI from crusting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%