Help! How Do I Make...?

Decorating By maddiseeyore Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm by kandu001

maddiseeyore Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make those long, wirey looking things that sick out the top and sides of a cake. (I don't know what you'd call them!). I'll attach this picture of what I mean...Can anyone tell me (Sharon's Cakes, are you out there?!) how to make them?! They look like they are fondant/gumpaste, but they stand up like would you make these strong enough not to break? Help!, anyone out there who can help me!??

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 6

I make my curly cues but wrapping them around tubing and letting them dry over night.Then I carefully loosen them and pull them off.The other ones are just rolled and dried .You would be surprised how strong fondant or gumpaste is when it dries.Then you just poke them into the cake.

bashini Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, its called Paper Covered Wires. We can buy them here. I've found a link from Country Kitchen Sweetart, but not sure its the same one,

Here is what we've got in UK,

Its the last one on that page.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

kandu001 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 6

You could also wrap the wire in fondant or gumpaste first, then bend it into the shape you want.

maddiseeyore Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Kristin, how would bend the wire with gumpaste on it and still keep the paste uniform? I'm going to experiment! Thank you all!

kandu001 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 6

I would either bend the wire first, then wrap it with the fondant or gumpaste, or I would wrap it then bend it quickly before it dries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%