Petits Fours

Decorating By becca0926 Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 12:22am by FlourPots

becca0926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becca0926 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:50am
post #1 of 8

Hey guys.. Need some help. I have my first order of Petits fours. My first question is: How hard are they to do? After reading all the advice and recipes...I am not seeing them hard to do.. But>> That doesn't mean anything..lol. I have a customer that wants about 300. She got a quote from a bakery for 1.50 each. I need advice on how they should be done.. The size they should be..And should I tell her 1.50 is a good quote?????

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, not sure about the price, but hope this link on how you make them helps.

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/01/lisas-easy-petits-fours.html

HTH. icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 8

i think its the time rather than the difficulty level that makes them expensive, and unpopular with many decorators. how long will it take to decorate all of them, even if pouring fondant doesnt take long, then you still have a lot of decoration to pipe/ mould, and you have to store them all too.
to me, that price sounds like a great deal for her, and not such a great deal for you! but it depends on the level of decoration too.
xx

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 8

Just my advice you need to try one before you agree to take the order. $1.50 is a good price. I have done them at home and at work for orders up to 1000. I had several employees (catering company) (I learned to do them at a bakery) I was the ONLY person that could do them. They are time consuming and there are so many different ideas on how to do them. My experience has been you have to make extras because no matter what I had some that didn't make the cut to take to the client. To get the 1000 had to pull a 36 hour shift, after I finished the peti fours (all with monograms) I had to go supervise the actual event. I would strongly recommend you practice first.

Nestley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nestley Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 8

I was asked to make 100 Tiffany Box petit fours so I called several bakeries to get a quote on prices. The cheapest price I found was $18.00 per petit four. I agree that unless you are making the petit fours very simple, $1.50 will not begin to cover your time used to decorate them.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 8
KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Here's another tutorial: http://joepastry.web.aplus.net/index.php?cat=34

That is a very interesting, fact-filled website...Thanks for posting thumbs_up.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:22am
post #8 of 8

You're welcome icon_smile.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%