I Need Help Please! How Can I Stiffen Bc?

Decorating By KristinAnn Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm by solascakes

KristinAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristinAnn Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #1 of 8

I'm working on a birthday cake for my mom. Chocolate BC basketweave with the top of cake covered with BC daffodils. The chocolate BC was fine, but my regular BC is too soft and every flower I pipe looks like mush. Can I add anything to it to stiffen it, or do I need to start over with a fresh batch?

The recipe I used is 1/2 c shortening, 1/2 c butter, 4 c powered sugar, t tbsp water, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 tbsp meringue powder.

I really wanted to finish this tonight since I don't have much time to work on it tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kristin

7 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #2 of 8

You can try sifting in some more powdered sugar and then just mixing it well by hand.

Rae

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 8

or add more butter, it works for me when my cream is "runny"

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

You can try sifting in some more powdered sugar and then just mixing it well by hand.

Rae

Yes...that's all you would need to do. This happened to me before and just adding some more PS will fix it. The trick though is to just work in a bit at a time - I recommend a 2-3 tbsps - and fully incorporate before seeing if you need more.

If you put in too much at once, then you'll have the opposite problem and may need to add more liquid to thin it out, which would then really affect the ratio of fat content you have from the butter and shortening.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Marmette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marmette Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:32am
post #5 of 8

i really think adding more powdered sugar will do the trick. it will just make it sweeter.

KristinAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristinAnn Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #6 of 8

For some reason, I thought my Wilton instructor said to add cornstarch, but I think that was for royal icing, not BC.

Thanks for the replies!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:38am
post #7 of 8

Add more sugar. Lots more. Your recipe is 1 cup of fat to 4 cups of p.sugar. My recipe is 1-1/3 cups fat to 7 cups of p.sugar.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 8

Add more sugar,i also add cornstarch to cut the sweetness a bit,maybe putting in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.It works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%