I Feel So Vindicated! (Long)

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm by sweetjan

tguegirl Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #1 of 21

I am a law student and only bake cakes as a hobby. Sometimes when law school is especially miserable, I'll talk about opening a bakery. My mom has started stomping out that dream whenever she can. Whenever I show her a cake I have made, her first response will be- "how much did you spend on ingredients" and then, "i
can't believe you spent $60 on ingredients! you'll have to charge $200
to make any money. who's going to pay that!?" and they're always
saying how i wouldn't make any money as a cake decorator.

well, anyways, my sister is having a one-month celebration for the
her new baby and she wanted a cake to feed 150 people. i can't go to the party b/c it's the night before my finals, but she asked me if i
knew any bakeries. i suggested a few bakeries. The first cake she inquired about was $1500, so she switched to a simpler design that was quoted as $1000. The bakery she wanted was booked, so she took the design to another bakery that is charging her $600 for the simpler cake. she booked it.

of course, i had to call my mom and tell her that I absolutely could make money as a baker! and then my mom has the
nerve to ask and make sure that i can't just make the cake!!

I told her no, but in all honesty, i wouldn't want to make a cake for someone who continuously discourages me from doing it and just sees me as a cheap option anyways. at least now she knows the real prices for these things!

20 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 21

Amen.

Good luck on your finals.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Butterpatty Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 21

I am sorry that your mum has stomped on your feelings this way in the past. I am glad that she got her eyes opened this way! I viewed your photos and you do such nice work! I am glad that you told her No and she would stay on the No Cake list until she finished growing her Cake IQ (i.e. giving some appreciation to what you do).

cutthecake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #4 of 21

I'm sorry she's not showing support for you. I hope you can eventually follow that dream.

Good luck on your exams.

Right now, they could use a lawyer's expertise on another CC forum: "OK very angry-stop payment day of wedding." I'd love to hear what you think about that!

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:10am
post #5 of 21

You know what, we always do what we're supposed to, not what we want. If what you want is to bake, then you find away to make that happen. Now this is just my opinion, so please don't get upset, but maybe your mom is so discouraging, cause as a lawyer that is more of a guranteed income, where as a baker, you got to work to get your name out there & build your craft. Was just trying tofind a more postive perspective on it. Bottom line, do what makes you happy, cause I took forever to follow my dream & I wish I hadn't. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:13am
post #6 of 21

Forgot to mention, I saw your pictures & you so can pull in the big dollars as I'm sure you know. Maybe you should let your Mom know, not all lawyers start out making the big dollars...but you would as a baker! icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:13am
post #7 of 21

Forgot to mention, I saw your pictures & you so can pull in the big dollars as I'm sure you know. Maybe you should let your Mom know, not all lawyers start out making the big dollars...but you would as a baker! icon_wink.gif

Cakerer Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #8 of 21

She's probably just thinking about all the money invested in law school...but that aside icon_smile.gif...your cakes are absolutely great! You could definitely make good money!!!!!!!

indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:45am
post #9 of 21

Well, her actual pricing experience is better than what I was going to suggest when I read your orig post: "mom, check out the minimum price on this website .... double-U, double-U-double-U dot Charm City Cakes dot com"

Or send her to Toba Garrett's website: http://tobagarrett.com/cakes.html (the top cake breaks down to $75/serving)

I think momma is more concerned with the prestige of being able to tell her little friends "My daughter, the lawyer" than anything else.

SharonK1973 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:07am
post #10 of 21

I think a lot of people don't think that cake decorating holds much prestige. Little do they know, its one of those few occupations that allow you to be a shining part of the most important events in people's lives. They will always remember an outstanding cake. So if your mom wants to try to discourage you from caking, let her try. Truth is, any real caker knows that no matter what others say, relatives or not, nothing is going to stop them from achieving jaw-droppingly gorgeous cakes! It's in their blood.

lostincake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:12am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Or send her to Toba Garrett's website: http://tobagarrett.com/cakes.html (the top cake breaks down to $75/serving)

Wow...now maybe I should show MY mom Toba's website lol. I would sure love to be that much in demand! One day...

Tguegirl - I hope you are happy in your career as a lawyer but if not, at least you know you have something you are passionate about and can fall back on. Good luck on your finals!

mclaren Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:05am
post #12 of 21

i just looked at your photos, and WOW, i'm not surprised if customers do not blink an eye to pay you for your talents. your works are great.

all the best for you in your finals and caking.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:18am
post #13 of 21

shame on mom for speaking like that to you. As a mom I don't get that one.

Now here's what I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around:

1 month old baby celebration with 150 guests! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:23am
post #14 of 21

WOW! Your cakes are fantastic! Keep doing what you love. icon_smile.gif

solascakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:33am
post #15 of 21

tguegirl ,who says you cannot do both,never ignore your passion,u can be a lawyer and make cakes in your spare time and eventually when you grow up icon_lol.gif you can then decide which career to face.I'm an IT consultant,a baker and a caterer.Mum is just worried i guess,but for you the best revenge is SUCCESS. thumbs_up.gif

solascakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:34am
post #16 of 21

Your cakes are awesome by the way and good luck in your finals

becca0926 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:02am
post #17 of 21

I have said this many many times.. You should only satisfy yourself.. If you love to decorate cakes.. What does it matter what the simple minded think??? My father says the same thing to me when he asks " How much for that cake"??? I tell him I do cakes for my own enjoyment.. One day I will be known for for cake artristy.. Please do your art for yourself...It is ART... And all of us artist know your true value!!!!

Relznik Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:33am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Sorry to take this slightly off-topic....

Maybe it's because I'm English and I haven't heard of this cake maker, but HOW can someone charge $1,500 for a cake that serves 20-25?

It's most certainly a beautiful cake. And I know there are cake makers who charge a HECK of a lot more than I do (and, locally, I'm not one of the cheapest! If you go into London, to some of the famous names, they charge in multiples of what I'd charge!)

But $1,500 for a 20/25 portion cake?????

I"m afraid that even as a cake maker, I don't get that one!!!!

Suzanne x

terrig007 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:41am
post #19 of 21

You know that Warren Brown (Cake Love) was once upon a time a lawyer. He always had that idea to do something else so you can always take him as your inspiration. Many years ago I read where Kenny G always wanted to be a musician but his parents made him go to school to be an accountant so he could have something to fall back on. Perhaps that's your mother's mindset. I know you could make a great living with your cakes though, they are absolutely beautiful.

tguegirl Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #20 of 21

Thank you all for your wonderful responses!

I'm so glad I have such a supportive community in cakecentral! It really does make my day to read all of your replies.
Indydebi- I'm sure her attitude is part due to the prestige factor and part due to the relatively guaranteed income v. not so stable income factor.

But that Toba Garrett website is incredible! And I thought Charm City Cakes charged a lot!

sweetjan Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #21 of 21

You do beautiful work. And good luck with finals! Best Wishes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%