Attention Cake Doctors!!!!!

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 3:16am by luvsfreebies72

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #1 of 14

I used BettyCrocker white cake mix, but instead of following the WASC recipe here is what i did: Followed the recipe on box using milk in place of water & whole eggs instead of egg whites, added 1 pk vanilla pudding,1 cup cake flour,2cups melted sherbert, 1 dram flavoring....i also made a white version(no flavoring,sherbert,flour) , added 1 pk vanilla pudding, and mixed the white & flavored cakes together. I wanted to test the 'concoction' so i baked a cupcake @ 325 for 25 minutes. The cake tasted AWESOME!, but after a couple minutes the middle sank and the cake was gummy on the inside. Can anyone help? Is there something i can add to the mix to make it rise?

13 replies
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #2 of 14

bump

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #3 of 14

I think you've just got way too much going on here. Baking has to be pretty exact chemistry to get a good result.

First of all, BC mixes already have pudding in them, so an additional box of mix is a lot of extra sugar and subsequent weight. The sherbert has not only another ton of sugar, but also probably carageenan and other stabilizers. Milk has a good deal of sugar in it, too. Liquid sugars aren't the same as granulated sugar when it comes to baking.

You've added no addtional levening agents and not enough dry ingredients to compensate for all of this gooey wet stuff.

I don't think there's anything that you could add to make it more likely to rise properly (and stay inflated).

I've doctored the basic WASC recipe many times. I find that with different extracts, compounds, and pudding mixes (I use DH mixes that don't already have pudding in them), I can get some petty amazing flavors. But, when it comes down to it, I'm pretty much following the recipe with very minor changes or substitutions--not re-inventing the wheel.

Just my honest .02
HTH
Rae

i_heart_pastry Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 14

Rae nailed it!

Bec

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes



You've added no addtional levening agents and not enough dry ingredients to compensate for all of this gooey wet stuff.


I've doctored the basic WASC recipe many times. I find that with different extracts, compounds, and pudding mixes (I use DH mixes that don't already have pudding in them), I can get some petty amazing flavors. But, when it comes down to it, I'm pretty much following the recipe with very minor changes or substitutions--not re-inventing the wheel.




What could i use for levening? And the reason i decided to try something different is because i haven't had much success with WASC variations, only the original recipe has worked for me. The chocolate bubbled over & made a disaster area in my oven!

newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 14

I "doctor" mixes all the time using whole milk instead of water, an additional egg, extra pudding and 8 oz. sour cream and they turn out beautifully...even as cupcakes I've never tried the sherbet thing, tho, and the only time I've added extra flour and sugar is in the WASC recipe, which I (and apparently I'm the only person on earth) didn't like it. I had jsuch high hopes for the WASC cake as I hadn't yet found a really delicious white cake with good texture.

Cupcakes can be temperamental. I've lost a number of batches that were made with a scratch cake mix intended for larger pans and I wonder if that whole surface to mass ratio thing comes into play since cupcakes are baked in a much smaller vessel than the recipe was intended. I don't seem to have that problem with box mixes that are doctored for some reason.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I "doctor" mixes all the time using whole milk instead of water, an additional egg, extra pudding and 8 oz. sour cream and they turn out beautifully...even as cupcakes I've never tried the sherbet thing, tho, and the only time I've added extra flour and sugar is in the WASC recipe, which I (and apparently I'm the only person on earth) didn't like it. I had jsuch high hopes for the WASC cake as I hadn't yet found a really delicious white cake with good texture.




Thanks for the advice!!! And no, you are not the only one who feels this way! Everyone raves about the WASC recipe and say it's "no-fail" but i can't seem to get it right(except for the original recipe....although i don't enjoy the strong almond taste)....maybe it's just me????

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #8 of 14

To be honest, I'm not sure anything what can exactly compensate for all of the sugar laden ingredients. Baking powder is the most likely leavener, but l like I said, baking is chemistry, and I have no idea how much to add.

I bake WASC variations using all types of DH cake mixes. If it's not a white cake, I add 6 whole eggs vs. 8 egg whites. I add a complimentary box of pudding mix for each cake mix and then use compounds (much less than extracts) and/or extracts to punch up the flavor. I'd say that in most cases, the amounts of wet & dry ingredients in the recipe I make are on par with the basic recipe.

I'd think that the only reason a WASC recipe bubbled over was because the pan was overfilled, so just less batter in the should solve the problem.

And, I never make WASC with just almond extract. I always do 1/2 vanilla + 1/2 almond or even 2/3 vanilla + 1/3 vanilla.

Rae

newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:27am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I "doctor" mixes all the time using whole milk instead of water, an additional egg, extra pudding and 8 oz. sour cream and they turn out beautifully...even as cupcakes I've never tried the sherbet thing, tho, and the only time I've added extra flour and sugar is in the WASC recipe, which I (and apparently I'm the only person on earth) didn't like it. I had jsuch high hopes for the WASC cake as I hadn't yet found a really delicious white cake with good texture.




Thanks for the advice!!! And no, you are not the only one who feels this way! Everyone raves about the WASC recipe and say it's "no-fail" but i can't seem to get it right(except for the original recipe....although i don't enjoy the strong almond taste)....maybe it's just me????




That was a big part of it - that fake almond taste. I don't like it and I never use it in buttercream unless someone wants it. I think I'll try the WASC recipe again and just stick to what I like better, which is Princess Emulsion or Creme Bouquet. I can get over the texture but not the almond-ness of it.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

To be honest, I'm not sure anything what can exactly compensate for all of the sugar laden ingredients. Baking powder is the most likely leavener, but l like I said, baking is chemistry, and I have no idea how much to add.

I'd think that the only reason a WASC recipe bubbled over was because the pan was overfilled, so just less batter in the should solve the problem.

And, I never make WASC with just almond extract. I always do 1/2 vanilla + 1/2 almond or even 2/3 vanilla + 1/3 vanilla.

Rae




It was the chocolate version, the edges and left side were overdone...the middle & right side were undercooked, the right side was the part that bubbled over....wierd???!!! anyway, i made a marbled cake the same day using the same(exact) mix and it did fine....except the areas that were only chocolate w/ no vanilla mixed in....

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #11 of 14

Here it is:
LL
LL

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:47am
post #12 of 14

if I remember right, the general rule of thumb for leavening is 1 tsp per cup of flour (baking powder that is)

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #13 of 14

Never, ever have seen a cake come out like that.

If it had happened to me, I'd have assumed that I was having oven problems, with one set of elements being much hotter than the other.

I don't know what else to tell you. I have excellent results with the WASC recipe, no matter what flavor Duncan Hines mix I use. I never use cake flour, only all purpose. I use both Jell-O and generic/store brand pudding mixes and I use any sour cream that's on sale. I sift all dry ingredients as I add them together & then mix the dry ingedients before adding the wet (which I usually mix together, too, before adding). I hand blend the wet and dry until fairly incorporated and then use my hand mixer for about 1min. 45 seconds, scraping the bowl as I mix. I bake at 325 degrees in my electric oven until a toothpick comes out clean.

Good Luck.
Rae

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Never, ever have seen a cake come out like that.

If it had happened to me, I'd have assumed that I was having oven problems, with one set of elements being much hotter than the other.

I don't know what else to tell you. I have excellent results with the WASC recipe, no matter what flavor Duncan Hines mix I use. I never use cake flour, only all purpose. I use both Jell-O and generic/store brand pudding mixes and I use any sour cream that's on sale. I sift all dry ingredients as I add them together & then mix the dry ingedients before adding the wet (which I usually mix together, too, before adding). I hand blend the wet and dry until fairly incorporated and then use my hand mixer for about 1min. 45 seconds, scraping the bowl as I mix. I bake at 325 degrees in my electric oven until a toothpick comes out clean.

Good Luck.
Rae


I do similar stuff as Rae here. I use cake flour instead of all-purpose. any brand of pudding, yogurt, sour cream. I do use full-fat sc & yogurts (fat = flavor icon_lol.gif ). I sift all dry together, mix all wet together in a seperate bowl and mix in the KA a couple minutes I guess. I'm thinking your oven doesn't cook evenly as well. My top rack bakes hotter and faster than bottom, so I rotate my pans 1/2 through baking time. 325* oven 30 minutes. gas oven.

I do think you have added a lot of sugars and that is going to make a difference. when I add something that has sugar - like white chocolate - I don't add the extra sugar the WASC calls for

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%