Sparkling Sugar Stupid Question

Decorating By deetmar Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 4

I want to put sparkling sugar on one of the tiers on an upcoming cake. I know that you brush piping gel over the cake, but how do you get the sugar on? You can't just throw it on!?!

Thanks

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 4

Couple different ways--

Put cake on turntable, put sheet pan under one side of the cake, right up against the bottom of the turntable.

Get a small handful of the sugar and press it into the piping gel. You're propably gonna have to wash and dry your hand a lot unless/until you can figure out how to not get piping gel on your hand. icon_biggrin.gif

You can half fold a piece of paper and put the sugar on that and let it slide off the paper and onto the cake. If you can tilt the cake all the better.

Two ideas for you--then of course collect the foosties off the sheet pan and do it again.

So all that to say--maybe pressing it into the butterceam before it crusts would be my plan A.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 4

I pour a big pile around the base of the cake. Then with a small spatula, kind of scoop it up, and pull up the side of the cake, not touching the cake at all, very slowly, and the sugar grabs into the icing.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the ideas, I just wasn't seeing it. You would think something so simple would be so easy to do. Wilton didn't even tell you how to do it in their books. They just stated to "apply" it.

I appreciate the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%