Strawerries & Pudding... Break Down??

Decorating By cjshoemake Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm by Lady_Phoenix

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 14

I have a request for a wedding cake and the client wants a cream or vanilla pudding filling with strawberries. I will be assembling the cakes on Wed evening or Thurday Morning and the client is picking cake up on Friday morning. The wedding is not until Saturday. They are driving an hour with the cake and then storing it in a refrigerator over night. I am a bit leary about this because I don't know if the pudding will break down before the reception or if the strawberries may cause the pudding to break down. The bride didnt care exactly what kind of cream filling it was. She said bavarian cream or vanilla pudding. I thought about using the regular box vanilla pudding mixes and fresh sliced strawberries. The whole cake will be covered in fondant.

any suggestions would be great. I just dont want the bride to have a soggy cake or no pudding left by cake cutting time. icon_cry.gif

13 replies
cecerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecerika Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 14

Yikes, I just had a bride that wanted kinda the same thing. I talked her out of it. It will be 4 tiers and I don't have the confidence that it will hold. Good luck with yours!!! Sorry I can't really help.

cjshoemake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 14

This one will be 3 tiers( 6,9,12 inch rounds) I also dont want it to get too warm and then start shifting because the filling is too warm. I need suggestions please.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 14

I do a strawberry glaze with fresh strawbwrries with a bavarian cream.
It is one of my mst requested cakes. I have done many tiers with this filling. as long as it is refridge it stats together very well not soggy.

I use the bavarian cream in the pastry sleeves. I think regular puddig would break done.

good luck

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 14

Okay, from what I have expierenced, don't slice strawberries, cause they will definitly break everything down by then. Don't even rinse them, just wipe them off & put them in whole. Second, I'm not sure, but a boxed pudding may be too soft & get everything soggy. I do have a pastry cream recipe thats pretty thick that may hold up all those days. 3rd, I believe fondant doesn not do well in the fride. The humidity in the fridge will make your fondant softened & it may start to droop. I always keep my fondant covered cakes in a cool room,not fridge. These are just what I have dealt with. Someone may have better solutions to your problems.

cjshoemake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks

Any recipes would be great!!

TripleD-Where do you get the bavarian cream in the sleeves?

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 14

I use the strawberry filing recipe I found here. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6864-Strawberry-Filling.html Never had an issue with it weeping or making the cake soggy at all.

There are also several recipes in the recipe section for bavarian cream.

cjshoemake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 14

I was also thinking about torting the cakes and alternating strawberries and cream. Giving each their own layers. Do you think this would work better? Should I stay away from the pudding all together and go towards a bavarian cream?

Lady_Phoenix Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 14

Personally I would stay away from puddings as they tend to weep. Think about what happens if you leave it out for a while. It separates, and that would ruin your cake. You can certainly alternate fillings, just be sure to put a good dam of icing around the layers especially strawberry ones! The first time I made a cake with strawberry filling, I didn't use a dam and my beautiful white SMBC had pink stripes! icon_rolleyes.gif

cjshoemake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:44am
post #10 of 14

will the strawberries break down bavarian cream?

kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 14

Any blemish, nick or whatever will cause strawberries to weep and can break down even Bavarian Creme icon_sad.gif
If they are whole and perfect they'll probably be o.k.
I think the idea of making 2 separate layers of the cream & berries is a much better idea.

cjshoemake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 14

wouldn't it be strange to put the strawberries in whole?? Especially Florida strawberries. We get very large ones. I couldnt imagine getting a whole strawberry on my plate in a piece of cake.

if I just used pudding on its own without the strawberries mixed in, will it last the few days in the cake or will it still break down?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 14

The sleeve fillings will be fine as they have alot of preservatives. I think the strawberries would weep in that time. They make a strawberry sleeve filling, it's not sliced strawberries though. Check out www.countrykitchensa.com for their pastry fillings.

BTW - FondX fondant can be refrigerated and even frozen. Just be sure when you take it out of the fridge, not to touch it or it will mar the fondant.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 14

IMHO, putting whole berries in is an invitation to a disaster! There would be no way to level the cake to compensate that I can think of. The strawberry filling I use sets up almost like jelly when cold, and has never wept even a little, even in summer. I can't speak to sleeved fillings because I make all my own from fresh ingredients.

My daughter turns 30 tomorrow, her hubby 27 on Tuesday so I made an Easter birthday cake for them.. their favorite flavors I have my 3 layer strawberry cake filled with Bavarian cream and strawberries, iced in SMBC in the fridge now. My son in law can not wait to get some tomorrow! I am surrounding it with white chocolate dipped strawberries and cake truffles made in the shape of eggs. Yummmm~~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%