Not Enough'm Hurting For Ideas

Decorating By dennettesdelectables Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 12:06am by luvsfreebies72

dennettesdelectables Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 12

My husbands co-worker tells him, he wants me to do a cake for his son's bday party--NEXT WEEKEND!! He was thinking Transformers or Bakugan(not really sure, googled it but still kinda in the dark) he doesn't even know the number of guests. The longer he takes to make up his mind, the less time I have to prep...I have no ideas at all!! The party is at Chucke cheese, so there is no strict theme....but mind is drawing a blank...i can't get past the fact that the only thing he knows is that the party is in 1 week. I'm new to this whole cake thing, and since I'm a SAHM, I mostly pull an all nighter the night before the cake is due...its best for me cuz the hubby and kids are in bed, so its just me and the cake..even with putting the cake off till the night before i still have to purchase supplies, and have to make sure my kitchen is completely prepared for me to tear it to pieces, cakes have to sit...the list is beyond my rambling, does anyone have any good suggestions, or any small clue what BAKUGAN is???

11 replies
chedaw Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 12

Foud these cakes for Bakugan:
Can you get in touch with the guy's wife? She'd probably have a better idea of what's going on. Some people think you can whip a decorated cake up out of thin air in minutes ! icon_smile.gif

brownsugar1 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 12

My 10 yr old nephew has a few of the toys. They have a neat toy that is shaped into a ball..and has a magnet in it. And it comes with a special playing card. And when you put the ball on the playing card...the ball opens up.

I did see a cake recently. It was basically a ball cake..with BC icing to detail the BAKUGAN round toy.

dennettesdelectables Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 12

well, he settled on a transformers cake,half sheet, like a scene from the movie, where optimus prime(18wheeler) is driving down the highway, wants me to incorporate the BB name in there somewhere, and doesnt want to pay a lot more than $50, something to work with but still am not coming up with a picture in my head!!!

I looked some more at those bakugan and thought if he just wanted a sheet cake then i could make a huge playing card, the one with all the circles and symbols on it...but then he went the other know I have to hit the think tank again.....I think I'm going to check out the gallery...but any advice is greatly appreciated....also, if anyone has a "to die for" chocolate filling recipe and (yellow)butter cake recipe suggestions that would be greatly appreciated to

dennettesdelectables Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #5 of 12

ugh...i just realized that I put this in the wrong forum section, meant to put it in Cake see my mind is so bogged down, I can't see straight...or maybe my brain is not communicating properly with my eyes and hands..that has to be it, i have retyped this same sentence 3 times...ugh...thanks for the replies

julzs71 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #6 of 12

For that price I would do a super simple sheet cake and have him buy a transformer and put it on top. Just put a road and have them put the toys on top

Crissy_Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:25am
post #7 of 12
Originally Posted by dennettesdelectables

so beyond my rambling, does anyone have any good suggestions, or any small clue what BAKUGAN is???

LOL I feel your pain, I had to do a Bakugan cake a few months ago and was going nuts. Apparently it's like the new verison of Pokeman that was all the rage a few years ago except you have these little balls that are called Battle Brawlers. Well depending on the card you draw, it you throw your battle brawler onto the mat...if he opens the gate card that another brawler is on, it's apparently on like donkey kong and a Bakugan Battle insues. Still don't get the game but's the Bakugan cake I did. Hope it helps!

dennettesdelectables Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #8 of 12
Originally Posted by julzs71

For that price I would do a super simple sheet cake and have him buy a transformer and put it on top. Just put a road and have them put the toys on top

well I don't really take a profit off my cakes, I mean if they want to throw me some money for my time/effort that is awesome, but I have no license or anything, so I just charge for the materials. I think for that price I could do something decent but not overdone or too simple...

I was thinking of doing a road on the cake, but I have seen some cakes that way, and I just feel that's a lil too simple..Not saying anything bad about the ppl who have done the cakes like that...but I know myself(extreme attention to detail/looks) and I wouldn't be satisified doing just that.

Although, at the same time, w/ time constraints, I don't have a super amount of time, for shopping a prep.

The road is a great idea, and them getting the toys( that helps me out as far as hunting down toys to fit) but I would prefer to elaborate a little more...

Thanks for the suggestion and taking the time to read my post

sugardaze Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 12

You can always do a buttercream transfer if your client does not want to buy the transformer toys.

P.S. My son adores bakugans and that is what I'm doing for his birthday cake this week-end.

dennettesdelectables Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 12

can you purchase those at walmart...I hate buying stuff like that online b/c what if it shows up damaged( w/ only a week of prep I don't have time for something like that)...I heard that you could purchase just the transfers from wal-mart and i think maybe even kroger! Have you heard this? or done this?

vicky Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 12

If you have a cake decorating store near you, perhaps they have a transfer sheet printer that prints on, I think, rice paper. Just get a picture of what the boy wants and have them print it in the size you need. Otherwise you can print out a picture, put it on the cake and poke holes through the picture while it is on the cake, buttercream the picture in with the star tip connecting the dots!! Just an idea.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #12 of 12

to die for chocolate filling:

whipped ganache whipped with some bc

Quote by @%username% on %date%