Cakes That Wont Bake Properly

Decorating By suefield Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 12:05am by Win

suefield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suefield Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 4

I've been making cakes for about 10 years now and had many successes. However over recent years I've had an increasing number of cakes that have not baked properly. I am no longer able to bake a decent cake. I think it might be my oven, but I've changes hinges, seals and most recently the termostat. The makers don't have a clue and nor does the engineer who serviced the oven. My oven is electric and every cake I make these days comes out with a noticeable dough like layer about 8mm from the base of the cake. Any thoughts would be much appreciated before I go completely mad. Thanks

3 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there! Welcome to Cake Central! You don't mention if you are baking from scratch or from mix? I have had this happen to me more and more recently with cakes made from mixes that I have used along with extenders (for instance, additional flour, sugar, sour cream etc.) I'm starting to wonder if the cake mix makers are tweaking their formulas... I notice that some cake mixes are not the same weight as they have been in the past so it makes sense to me that I am adding possibly too much additional liquid.

That's just one of my theories... others here will have many possibilities as well.

suefield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suefield Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your comments. I make the cakes from scratch using a recipe that's been used for years in the family, indeed I can go round my mums house and bake the recipe fine in her gas oven, I also tried a basic sponge equal flour, eggs, sugar, fat in cupcake format and they managed to sink as well.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 4

Well then, if you have had success in your oven for many years and have recently started this issue, my guess would be your oven is out of calibration which can be corrected by a professional. Good luck --and happy baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%