A Few Questions From A Fondant Newbie!

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm by drakegore

Sassy74 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 11

Hello, ladies! I'm doing my first "real" fondant cake next week, and I have a couple of questions. The bride was undecided about fondant since she knows that a lot of her guests might not like the taste/texture. I told her that if ppl don't like it, they can peel it off...that's what I do if it's nasty tasting!

But my question is this...how much BC do y'all put under your fondant? I've seen some with a verrrry thin crumb-coat, and some that were thick enough to completely cover the cake. I want to leave enough BC that ppl can peel it off and still have icing on their cake. But, I don't want my fondant to slide around on too much BC. I've searched the forums and haven't found any topics that relate specifically to my question. What do y'all suggest?

Also, after your crumb-coat crusts, do you spray water, simple syrup, something else on the cake to help the fondant stick?

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
shelly-101 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 11

I just put a crumb coat on my cakes i really think it is up the the person and yes after i let the crumb coat set up in the fridge for a little while i spray a little water on it to make the fondant stick to the cake hope this helps and good luck with your cake

mcdonald Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 11

I actually put a regular layer of icing on my cakes before I put the fondant on. I want something between my cake and fondant... especially if the person doesn't like fondant...

What type of fondant are you using?

txsteph Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 11

I have only made 1 fondant cake ... on it I put a regular layer of BC before the fondant and had no problems.
I did not let the BC crust over before I put the fondant on, are you supposed to?

jmt1714 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 11

just a suggestion - never use the word "nasty" when talking about something associated with your cake. Maybe try: The fondant has a great sweet taste that most folks love, but the texture doesn't appeal to everyone - for those folks, there is also buttercream under neath.

Sassy74 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks ladies!

Mcdonald: I'm using MMF. I've been experimenting...made a batch this morning in fact. It's resting now, and so far it looks great! Because it tastes good, I'm going to use this instead of store-bought. I'm glad to hear that you put a regular layer of BC on...I'll give that a try.

Thanks, jmt1714, but I should have clarified--hehehe! I didn't say those words to the bride! I didn't say anything about what I think, just that if ppl don't like it they can peel it off. But in my head, I was thinking what I wrote! No, I wouldn't use the word "nasty" when describing ANYTHING about a cake, especially one I made! icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 11

Hi, I put a regular layer of bc under fondant. And I don't put my bc covered cake in the fridge to settle. First I put the bc on the cake and then roll out my fondant. Then cover the cake with fondant. icon_smile.gif

Ariginal Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 11

i find with putting your buttercream as filling also they are then still getting the icing if they want to peel off the fondant.. but here in nz our fondant is real nice... hehehe very vanillary hehe if that is such a word.. but i too put on buttercream under the fondant not too thin but not too thick just a nice spread as it also helps to fill any imperfections in the cake before covering with the fondant. i also spray with water as i put my cakes in the fridge to get the buttercream to harden up first.

drakegore Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 11

sassy - this was a question i was going to ask too! icon_biggrin.gif i am so glad i stumbled upon it! those layers of bc i see on tv look so thin. i was hoping i could put a regular layer of bc on and not have it be bad for the fondant (complete fondant newbie).

bashini - what kind of settling? do i have something else to be afraid of, lol?

i use smbc - will i still need to spray to get fondant to stick after i refrigerate?

diane

bashini Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

bashini - what kind of settling? do i have something else to be afraid of, lol?

i use smbc - will i still need to spray to get fondant to stick after i refrigerate?

diane

Diane, what I meant was, some put the bc covered cake in the fridge so the bc gets hard. So when you put the fondant on the cake, its easy to work with. Not like fresh buttercream. icon_smile.gif

But I haven't used SMBC though!

drakegore Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #11 of 11

thanks bashini!
fondant makes me anxious icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%