Stacking A Cake?

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm by something_sweet

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 6

This may seem like a silly question, but I typically set my wedding cakes up on-site and have one tomorrow that is being picked up. It is a small 2-tier stacked cake. My question is, do I need to put a dowel through both layers to keep anything from happening to it? I, of course, will put dowels in the bottom layer, but I didn't know if a dowel through the entire cake is a must. The cake sizes are 12" & 6" square. TIA!

5 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 6

I would, if anything just to be safe. You don't know how these people drive, if they are speed demons, or if there's potholes. You will feel much better if you do, just for added safety measure. And be clear to them that once it leaves your shop/hands...you WILL NOT be held responsible for anything. Having them sign something to that effect would be even better.

"

mooj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mooj Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 6

I always put a dowel through the center when I have to transport a cake, so I would definitely do it for a cake that someone else is transporting. It might make the customer feel better too - and they probably have enough stress with other wedding stuff. You'll be their hero!

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 6

Silly question since I'm new.

During the cake cutting do you remove the dowel rods or cut around them?

mooj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mooj Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 6

Hmmm - I don't ever cut the cakes I make. I always tell folks that the dowel is in there and suggest that they cut the top first and then pull out the dowel, but I have no idea if they actually do it that way or not. That seems easier to me than fishing around for it before cutting the cake.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 6

Since the dowels are flush with the top of the cake, sometimes it is hard to get ahold of them without "damaging" the cake, so in those cases I suggest just cutting around them. Either way works as long as the customer, or whoever is cutting the cake, is aware that they are in there and look for them.

Thanks for all the responses to my question!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%