Help With Cake Colors

Decorating By gerripje Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm by gerripje

gerripje Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a strawberry themed cake for my great niece tomorrow. It will be 10,8,6 tiers. The bottom will have stripes, the middle will have strawberries that I made out of red fondant (flat), and the top I am undecided.

Is the bottom tier supposed to be darker then go lighter as you go up, or the other way around? Does it matter? It's just not coming together in my head and for some reason I think lighter on the bottom might look dumb. I've looked through a lot of pictures on here, but it just isn't coming to me. Thanx!!

2 replies
KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 3

are you doing just strawberries or like Strawberry Shortcake theme?? If you're doing Strawberry shortcake, you might do pink/green stripes on bottom and then maybe some pink/green polka dots on the top and the strawberries in the center.
I think darker looks better on the bottom because you generally expect the bottom to look "heavier" so any "heavy" looking pattern, or darker color would look best toward the bottom of the cake. try looking up "Strawberry Shortcake" themed cakes in the gallery......maybe it'll help you decide on another pattern you haven't thought of?

gerripje Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 3

That makes sense, I love the green idea! Yes, it's kinda strawberry shortcake themed. I'll do that, thanx!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%