What Is Your Opinion Of The Kitchen-Aid Mixer?

Decorating By Bigbearswife Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 4:48am by erikamj

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:28am
post #31 of 42

Does anyone have the pasta roller for the KA? I've been looking for one but I don't want the full set of three - just the roller.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #32 of 42

I have one and like the stand mixer. It is a little freaky though, because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have to keep turning it on and off. This is actually my second one. The first one the turning mechanism fell into my bowl.
I would not get another one. I would invest in a different stand mixer.

I do have the pasta maker also. I like it. It is easier to do gumpaste.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:03am
post #33 of 42

I have a pretty Artisan 4.5 quart that sits out and does most of my jobs, and a 6 quart which I pull out if I am doing lots of cakes at the same time, or a really big batch of something. I love them both - best kitchen investment ever! My big one is a refurbish model which works like a charm, you would never guess it was a refurb. I have the pasta roller which I use for gumpaste. It is really good for rolling out thin sheets, you get a really uniform thickness which works so well for ribbons etc. You won't regret buying a KA!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

I do have the pasta maker also. I like it. It is easier to do gumpaste.

That's what I want it for - gumpaste! I do want to try making my own pasta, but I primarily want it for fondant and gumpaste.

Sorry to hear you've had trouble with your KA's. They're usually very reliable. Just beware of Sunbeam - the beaters are awful!!!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:30am
post #35 of 42

Love my Kitchen Aid! thumbs_up.gif

Juds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:38am
post #36 of 42

It's the best!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
I bought my first one about 15yrs ago and it's still going strong my Mum held on to it when I got married icon_smile.gif so my DH bought me a bigger newer one icon_smile.gif we got to love them when they do stuff like that!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:50am
post #37 of 42

I had my first KA 34 years and packed it up when Lowes had a big sale a little over a year ago soo I got the metalic brushed nickel and I have some probs with it but I emailed them this week because my warrantee is past a few months. I received a email back yesterday and they are sending me a brand new one and postage paid label to send this one back. Can't beat that for customer service. Oh, just in case anyone is having the same issue its the screw thing working loose that holds the head onto the base and also the on-off plastic piece broke into!

SweetHobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHobby Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #38 of 42

Sorry for bumping this to the top again, but I am trying to get some clarification....almost everyone here who mentioned loving their KA has had it for some length of time. I've been researching mixers and have read that the KA machines are not being built with the same quality the past couple of years that they used to be. Does anyone know if this is true or not? It does seem that the folks here who HAVE had problems have had a newer one, whereas the ones from 15 years ago are still going strong.

I'm currently considering a Viking instead and wondering if I should just go with a KA since they are less expensive. But, if they really are less reliable now than they were ten years ago, then maybe I should avoid them....it's so hard to decide, but it's a lot of money to lay out and I don't want one that is dead 3 years from now, or that I have to spend even MORE money to get it fixed in 3 years, kwim?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #39 of 42

Kitchen Aid is under a different parent company now. For a time, they were making an internal gear box and gears out of plastic. these were causing a lot of motor burnouts. After many complaints, they began making this set of parts out of the usual metal again. All the new machines available now should be the sturdy ones. I don't know about refurbished ones. But for such an investment, I'd rather pay the extra $100 anyway to get a new one.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #40 of 42

My first one is about 25 yrs old...........still running. I bought a second one 5qt artisan just about 1 yr ago and it's great. No problems with either one. I love having 2.

erin_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin_e Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #41 of 42

My hubby and I bought our KA as a wedding present to ourselves. It was the one really big thing that I wanted. We bought ours Christmas of 2007 and I haven't had a single problem. I was concerned about the motor as well but I've not had a single issue. I'm asking for accessories for all gift-giving holidays from my husband. icon_biggrin.gif

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:48am
post #42 of 42

Absoutely love mine. It was the best kitchen present ever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%