Help With Yellow Cake

Decorating By cserwa Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 9:52am by JanH

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 6

I've made this yellow cake twice before and it was the best!
2 cups flour minus 2 tablespoons that is replaced with corn starch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
8 egg yolks or 4 whole eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk

I made it yesterday and it was terrible! It was way too dry even going into the pan. When I tried dropping it on counter to level before putting it into the oven, it was so thick it would barely move. I baked it at 300 until finished (according to toothpick). When done, I tried to remove from the well-greased/floured pan, and it stuck completely. I finally got it out, but it came out in pieces. It also tasted really eggy. I'm a pretty new baker - maybe made 20 or so cakes, always from scratch, and they have always turned out great. I did everything the same. I double checked the ingredients that I used. I have no idea what could've happened. Any insight??? The only difference was that I didn't have the eggs (I used 4 whole instead of 8 yolks - does that matter...but then again...that's what I did before and it was fine, so it can't be that either!) at room temperature, so I put them in warm water for about 5 minutes. Would that have made a difference? The butter was only out of the fridge for about 20 minutes. Anyone?

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #2 of 6

I can't tell you why. I just know it happens sometimes. In fact, the same thing happened to me today. I made a sugar cookie recipe that I absolutely love. I have made it a million times and they always turn out great. And what do you know, it was terrible today. I used a different kind of butter today though. So that's the only thing that I can think of. Unless, I just mismeasured and didn't notice.

Hopefully, someone else can answer your question. Good luck!

cserwa Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #3 of 6

Ah the great thing about baking - it's never the same! When you mess up and stumble across something, it's the greatest thing ever, but when the reverse happens and a tried and true recipe fails you, it's awful!!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 6

It's so hard to say since it could be just about anything. Is it possible there was a mismeasurement? Or maybe used baking soda instead of baking powder (heard some people say they've done this inadvertently and the cakes turn out totally different). Or maybe an ingredient was unknowningly left out.

Could be anything, but I hope your next attempt turns out much better for you.

icon_smile.gif

cserwa Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:41am
post #5 of 6

Thank you! Me too! I had to bake all night tonight just to restore my confidence from last night's debacle!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%