Help With Dissterous Yellow Cake

Decorating By cserwa Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 10:01am by JanH

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 2

I've made this yellow cake twice before and it was the best!
  2 cups flour minus 2 tablespoons that is replaced with corn starch
  2 teaspoons baking powder
  1/2 teaspoon salt
  1 cup butter
  1 1/2 cups white sugar
  8 egg yolks or 4 whole eggs
  1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  3/4 cup milk

I made it yesterday and it was terrible! It was way too dry even going into the pan. When I tried dropping it on counter to level before putting it into the oven, it was so thick it would barely move. I baked it at 300 until finished (according to toothpick). When done, I tried to remove from the well-greased/floured pan, and it stuck completely. I finally got it out, but it came out in pieces. It also tasted really eggy. I'm a pretty new baker - maybe made 20 or so cakes, always from scratch, and they have always turned out great. I did everything the same. I double checked the ingredients that I used. I have no idea what could've happened. Any insight??? The only difference was that I didn't have the eggs (I used 4 whole instead of 8 yolks - does that matter...but then again...that's what I did before and it was fine, so it can't be that either!) at room temperature, so I put them in warm water for about 5 minutes. Would that have made a difference? The butter was only out of the fridge for about 20 minutes. Anyone?

1 reply
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%