Colour Flow/flood Work Plaque Help!!!! Asap

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 4 Dec 2013 , 7:18pm by MBalaska

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 23

I have been asked to make a cake for my FIL 60th birthday(on Saturday the 18th). He is an antique car collector and I have been asked to make a Model A Ford on the cake. I thought the flood work would be nice but I've never done it...Any suggestions on how to make this car look decent enough to be proud of?
My back up will be to get an Edible Image made at a local bakery of a photo of the car but I'd much rather do something handmade...
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

22 replies
Mom23girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23girls Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 23

Print out a picture of the vehicle in the size you want to make it. Tape it down on your work board and cover it all with Cling wrap - pulled nice and tight (I tape it down to make sure it doesn't move). The trace the outlines, wait till it dries and flood.... I let it dry for a few days, but don't think it needs to be that long. I pull the cling wrap from the back of the piece, rather than pulling the piece off the wrap. I've only made 2 so far, but neither one broke on me.... good luck!

kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 23

Exactly what she ^^^ said icon_smile.gif
Don't make the flood too thin. When you spoon some out, let the stuff in the cup settle, then drop in a spoonful it should disappear by the count of 10.....& that's a somewhat slow count not rapid icon_smile.gif
If it disappears before 10 add some more full strength royal; if it is still there (even somewhat) by 10 add another *drop* of water. There is a thin line between just right and not icon_smile.gif
Usually by the time you have completed the outline what you piped 1st is dry and you can start to flood. Put in enough flood that it *almost* but not quite overflows the outline.....you want it puffed up pretty good. If using different colors, start the outlining at the top and work down; same w/flooding - doing all the different parts w/one color before moving on to the another color.
Make sure the flood parts touches the outline. Use a toothpick or slightly damp brush to coax the flood to touch the line(s).
If any bubbles come up, *asap* use a hat pin to prick them so the flood will close it up.
Work in small sections at a time, from top to bottom. HTH

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #4 of 23

You can do the same with a frozen buttercream transfer. Print out your pic, mirror image, cover with plastic wrap, pipe the outline with buttercream, then freeze. Take out of freezer and fill in colors and details with buttercream. When done, freeze again. Take out of freezer, turn over onto cake and peel off pastic wrap. Just remember, do your details before background color because you will be turning over on cake (Parts touching the plastic wrap will be top of your transferred pic.)

becca0926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becca0926 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:17am
post #5 of 23

If you look at my pics you will see I do mostly color flow. I have gotten good at it. I don't know where you live.. ( doesn't say on your profile ) But if you lived near me, I would gladly come to you and show you how to do it perfect. Please message me and I will gladly help in any way I can..

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 23

Ditto what the others have said. Especially the plastic wrap. DO NOT use wax paper!

You can pipe on small details (like the grill, e.g.) after the piece has dried.

Be sure to make more than one in case of breakage.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:40am
post #7 of 23

Does this work if you want to stand this on the side of a cake instead of laying it on a cake?

kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 23

Yes it does. The piece you make w/ColorFlo will be hard and stand up w/o problems.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

Does this work if you want to stand this on the side of a cake instead of laying it on a cake?

Absolutely...you can attach craft sticks or skewers or toothpicks to the back of your piece with either RI or melted chocolate, and stick them into the cake! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Quote:

Absolutely...you can attach craft sticks or skewers or toothpicks to the back of your piece with either RI or melted chocolate, and stick them into the cake! icon_smile.gif

That would be if you want to stand it on the TOP of the cake. The question was about standing it on the SIDE of a cake. icon_smile.gif

Yes, you can glue it to the side of a cake with royal or chocolate as previously mentioned. icon_smile.gif

becca0926 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:37am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Ditto what the others have said. Especially the plastic wrap. DO NOT use wax paper!

I always use wax paper and if you look at my pics it works great.. I did a Harley Davidson from color floe and the customer said the pipe work looked real... I have never used plastic wrap...

About standing it on the side.. Yes as soon as it hardens you can attach it to a lollipop stick..

DianeLM Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca0926

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I always use wax paper and if you look at my pics it works great.. I did a Harley Davidson from color floe and the customer said the pipe work looked real... I have never used plastic wrap...

About standing it on the side.. Yes as soon as it hardens you can attach it to a lollipop stick..

Hi Becca,

I used to use wax paper all the time too. And I've done A LOT of colorflow. I didn't say it doesn't work. icon_smile.gif But plastic wrap works MUCH BETTER! Give it a try next time and let me know what you think. thumbs_up.gif

becca0926 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #13 of 23

Thanks Diane.. I have never used saran wrap. I'll try it next time.. Is it as easy as wax to peel off?? Again thanks.

DianeLM Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca0926

Thanks Diane.. I have never used saran wrap. I'll try it next time.. Is it as easy as wax to peel off?? Again thanks.

OMG, there's no comparison! The colorflow practically falls right off the saran wrap! Here's how I do it:

Pull saran wrap tight over work surface and tape down. (Just tight enough to get rid of wrinkles. It doesn't have to stretch.)

Create your colorflow pieces and let dry.

When it's time to remove the pieces, cut a large circle around the piece with an Xacto knife. Carefully lift the plastic and the colorflow piece will practically fall right off. No actual "peeling" necessary!

I don't like to attempt to remove the piece without cutting the plastic wrap. The tension and suction could cause the piece to break.

I hope you like this technique as much as I do. I did colorflow on wax paper for YEARS before discovering this tip. My only regret is not trying it sooner!

becca0926 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:15am
post #15 of 23

I will do a piece this week on Saran just to see the comparison.. Again thanks for the idea.. My son will say thanks cause he will get to eat my practice piece..LOL

deetmar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:31am
post #16 of 23

What is the difference between RI and Colour flow, and are one of these better than doing CT's?

deetmar Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 23

I have been having so many problmes with this. I am trying to do the Winnie the Pooh characters. I have used both wax paper and saran wrap. I have let them dry several days, the still fall apart, I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I have been using RI instead of colorflow, could that be the problem? Please help.

DianeLM Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:

I have been having so many problmes with this. I am trying to do the Winnie the Pooh characters. I have used both wax paper and saran wrap. I have let them dry several days, the still fall apart, I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I have been using RI instead of colorflow, could that be the problem? Please help.

Are you using FRESHLY MADE royal icing? For best results, you should make your royal, color it, and use it right away.

Royal icing that has been rebeaten is more likely to crumble.

deetmar Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #19 of 23

Some was made that day, and some was re-beaten. I was also reading that if you want to thin the RI out for colour flow, you shoule add egg white instead of water, it helps hold it together better. I think I will try that next time.

I finally gave up and did CT's, I couldn't keep going with the RI and having them fail.

becca0926 Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #20 of 23

As I have said many times.. I use Wiltons color flow.. I have never had a problem with them,, I did get a suggestion from Diane.. to use saran wrap instead if Wax paper.. Everyone thinks egg whites are the same.. I have not found that to be true.. It may cost me more for wiltons color flow mix,,, but I find it very helpful..

williern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
williern Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 1:29am
post #21 of 23

AIf I did a color flood picture can I put it on a buttercream iced cake? I want to try this technique. It would be a large image of Scooby Doo. Can you do an image aporox 8" x 8". Will it hold together?

williern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
williern Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:23am
post #22 of 23

I did my Scooby Doo and the Mystery Mobile as a FBCT and it worked great! I froze it over night and then put it on the BC covered cake. This was my trial run and I learned a lot.... Now the real cake is due this weekend, I hope the 9 year old likes it !

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:18pm
post #23 of 23

williern: how could a 9 year old not like it, I'd like it.

note to self: add FBCT to the list of cool things to try.:(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%