No Fail Sugar Cookies Help

Decorating By ailika Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 8:07am by Redlotusninjagrl

ailika Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all, I guess I'm the only one that has failed with the NFSC lol. I have done everything exactly as the recipe calls for. I've chilled the dough and then took it out of the fridge to roll but when I start working with the dough it breaks apart. I also baked 1 cookie for a test, the bottom baked but the top didn't bake enough. What did I do wrong where did I fail? I made enough for 5 dozen and would love to give them out for Easter. HELP!!!

15 replies
Mom23girls Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 16

bump.... (I'm planning on making these tonite, so an answer would be great, lol!)

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 16

It sounds like the dough is too dry.You can try and knead some soft butter into it.Microwave the dough slightly to make it soft again and then add the soften butter.These cookies only require about 11-12 minutes to bake on 350 or 325 on convection bake for a bit longer.Use parchment underneath the cookie sheet to eliminate burning under the cookie.I make this recipe all the time and I have never had a problem.

auntbeesbaking Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 16

I don't know if this will help, but if the dough is really cold, it will break when you roll it out. You may let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then roll it out.

I've had success that when I make the dough, I divide it up into quarters and put each quarter inbetween parchment paper and roll it out while in the parchment paper. After the first one is rolled, pop it into the refrigerator. Continue rolling out your dough between sheeps of paper until you have used it all. By the time you are finished, the first batch will be completely chilled and ready to cut. Reroll leftover dough and repeat the process.

I would contiinue baking a few minutes longer. I test to see if when I lightly touch the cookie, does it dent or not. If it dents, I add 90 seconds give or take onto the baking time.

I've made 5 dozen this week and I'm so with you in trying to get these out for Easter. Mine are sitting here on the table waiting to be diecorated.

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Debbie

ailika Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 16

Yes, the dough is kind of dry even though I added 4 bars of soften butter but I will add more and nuke it lol. Thanks so much for your help ladies/gents icon_smile.gif

DoubleTroubleCreations Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 16

I use NFSC recipe all the time. To be perfectly honest with you, I make the dough and then roll and cut my cookies right away. I have never put it in the fridge to cool. I find it harder to work with when chilled. Hope this will help.

CookieMeister Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailika

Yes, the dough is kind of dry even though I added 4 bars of soften butter but I will add more and nuke it lol. Thanks so much for your help ladies/gents icon_smile.gif

Maybe it has something to do with how dry my kitchen is, but I also have problems with NFSC being too dry. When I make it, I put the flour mixture in a little at a time, and keep an eye on the consistency. I almost always have the right consistency with about 1/4 cup left out. I just quit adding it when I'm happy with it.

Peet Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 16

Oh my gosh, I just made the same recipe and the dough was so dry... I couldn't do anything with it. I don't know but I just tossed the whole thing and made roll out cookie dough, not sure where I got the recipe but this is what I will use from now on.

Very strange about this NFSC.....

Petra

bbmom Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 16

I learned after trial and error not to chill the dough, its just too hard. I make the dough, then cut out my cookies, then chill in fridge until I'm ready to bake. You shouldnt need more butter. Before I finally decided to stop chilling the dough as stated in the recipe...I would microwave it to soften it enough to roll. Good Luck

globalgatherings Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 16

I never chill the dough either, never have spreading. Just like with most baking, it has everything to do with climate and humidity. Sometimes in the summer I have to add a little extra flour. Happy baking thumbs_up.gif

mclaren Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:47am
post #11 of 16

have never eaten NFSC before. is the cookie soft or the hard kind?

becca0926 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:56am
post #12 of 16

I honestly have NEVER had my recipe come up dry... If you lived near me I would volunteer to to come to your house to show you how the recipe comes out for me.. Anyone that lives near me.... please contact me and we can get together for a dough 1 on 1... I really wished i lived near u for that..

rushing Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 16

I'm having problems with my first batch NFSC too! I made the dough a few days ago, but have been too busy to actually bake it until today. I rolled out the [chilled] dough between two pieces of parchment paper. That in itself was frustrating, since the dough wouldn't roll out very nicely. Maybe it was too cold?

Well when I finally had rolled it out, I went at it with my cookie cutter and it turned into a sticky mess. So from what I gather from you all, I'm supposed to put the dough back in the fridge WITH the parchment paper before I cut it? I guess that would make sense. I hope it works!

becca0926 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:04am
post #14 of 16

I would be willing to help anyone in Ga. I am in Canton.. I have never had a problem with NFSC.. Maybe we can get together and help someone else..

ailika Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:17am
post #15 of 16

Well, ladies I added more butter like you told me and it worked! Only the cookies taste a little buttery icon_surprised.gif also once I baked them some of them have bumps in the center I am a disaster even with the NFSC LOL. Thanks everyone for your help

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:07am
post #16 of 16

Wow! I have never baked cookies from scratch until about a month ago. I used the NFSC recipe and as far as I can tell my cookies came out perfect. The mix does seem dry. After mixing my ingredients, I rolled the dough out to like 1/2 inch thick between two pieces of parchment and put in the fridge for an hour or so. I cut out my shapes and baked immediately. I was pretty impressed because I keep having a hard time baking a box cake. Hope it all works out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%